Tad cue any idea of value?

jbbilliards1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The reason why I ask for opinions on value is the cue is because
this cue is DEAD STRAIGHT and is 100% completely original from the early 70's. 13mm shaft never been refinished and looks fantastic. Pls do not ask why the black wrap, it was a choice from the original buyer.
thanks any feedback would be great

8148813853_f943d4a804_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8148824135_072cd2ee00_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8148851702_a87ffc9076_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8148822669_0cb262b372_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I will comment on it, but are you going to sell the cue here? What are your intentions in determining the value?

jbbilliards1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will comment on it, but are you going to sell the cue here? What are your intentions in determining the value?

I may plan on selling it on here, it all depends, as I have given up alot for this cue on a trade.
Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated
thanks !!!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I may plan on selling it on here, it all depends, as I have given up alot for this cue on a trade.
Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated
thanks !!!

I'll PM you on it. It looks like it just came out of the factory, that's for sure.

I want to commend you on your photos, by the way. What kind of camera are you using?

Last edited:

jbbilliards1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll PM you on it. It looks like it just came out of the factory, that's for sure.

I want to commend you on your photos, by the way. What kind of camera are you using?

Kodak Easy share C1550
paid $70 came with a big memory card case rechargable battteries

LOL best camera i ever bought :wink:

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tad cue!

I had a tad just like this one that i bought in 1971. Mine had irish linen wrap instead of black. I paid 200.00 then! I would think based on my 40 yrs of pool experience that this cue in this condition would be worth at least 8-900.00 maybe more depends on the buyer! Would probably sell to a california player for more? Hope this helps! Sparky.....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

The reason why I ask for opinions on value is the cue is because
this cue is DEAD STRAIGHT and is 100% completely original from the early 70's. 13mm shaft never been refinished and looks fantastic. Pls do not ask why the black wrap, it was a choice from the original buyer.
thanks any feedback would be great

8148813853_f943d4a804_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8148824135_072cd2ee00_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8148851702_a87ffc9076_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8148822669_0cb262b372_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Where is the TAD logo? I would value it at $1,000-1,500 if it's a real TAD.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I had the same cue, Jay....no logo.
It's authenticity was confirmed by Tad.

My '68 Joss, my old Tad, and my old Gina (looked like the Tad) all had
18 thread screws....I feel they hit better than 14 threads.....

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

A lot of his early cues didnt have the logo on the butt cap. I have had a couple of them. Probably wouldnt hurt to get a letter from Tad if th OP is looking to sell.

I am guessing the same price range. Only one shaft is a bit of a knock and that finish is almost too good for a Tad cue of that age. Tad's finish is notoriously bad. If its been in a case for 30 years I suppose it could look that nice. A refinish by anyone other than Tad kills any collector value and I honestly dont know how much a cue this plain would have any way.

I am guessing its a 57" cue as well which is another knock for broad appeal. Personally I love these old Tads and others do as well. Easy to sell for the right price or a great cue to hang on to. There wont be anymore like it.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same cue, Jay....no logo.
It's authenticity was confirmed by Tad.

My '68 Joss, my old Tad, and my old Gina (looked like the Tad) all had
18 thread screws....I feel they hit better than 14 threads.....

Wow, I could see feeling a slight difference between a 3/8x10 and a 5/16x14 (which I would think result from the metal shaft insert, if anything)... but to be able to feel a difference in the hit between a 5/16x14 and a 5/16x18 is pretty amazing.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Wow, I could see feeling a slight difference between a 3/8x10 and a 5/16x14 (which I would think result from the metal shaft insert, if anything)... but to be able to feel a difference in the hit between a 5/16x14 and a 5/16x18 is pretty amazing.

I had a snooker cue that had a 2/8ths pin with 24 threads to the inch...
...felt like a one-piece cue.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
A lot of his early cues didnt have the logo on the butt cap. I have had a couple of them. Probably wouldnt hurt to get a letter from Tad if th OP is looking to sell.

I am guessing the same price range. Only one shaft is a bit of a knock and that finish is almost too good for a Tad cue of that age. Tad's finish is notoriously bad. If its been in a case for 30 years I suppose it could look that nice. A refinish by anyone other than Tad kills any collector value and I honestly dont know how much a cue this plain would have any way.

I am guessing its a 57" cue as well which is another knock for broad appeal. Personally I love these old Tads and others do as well. Easy to sell for the right price or a great cue to hang on to. There wont be anymore like it.

We're on the same wavelength - here's what I wrote to him earlier in my PM:

Let me explain first that It is rare to find such an early plain Tad in such great shape. Most of them are players so they've been used a lot. I actually like the combination of black wrap with a honey maple colored cue.

Unfortunately there are a couple of things that will hold the value down. Because it's a plain Tad, even though it's original, it won't be worth a lot more than a properly restored or refinished cue. The fancy early Tad's, all original, would be worth a huge premium - they are collector's dreams. This is basically a player's cue, so originality, while always desirable, really doesn't hold a huge premium over refinished. Also it is the plainest of Tad's with no ring work anywhere.

The other thing is it has one shaft. A Tad shaft is about $300 last I checked, most Tad owners want two original shafts.

The last thing is cue buyers are becoming much more discretionary. A few years ago it seemed like everything sold no matter what. Now it seems only the bargains sell.

I think you can sell it for around $1400 because of the condition. I would say top dollar is $1500 and bottom is $1200. I sold a beautifully restored plain Tad from the same year (no Tad markings, no stamp) 3 years ago with two really nice shafts and it went for $1400 on ebay.

Now this is just my opinion, and I definitely could be wrong. I've bought and sold a few Tad's but I'm not an expert. I've seen some pretty nice Hoppe 4 pointers sell for $1800 and a lot of newer plain Tad's going for $1500 or so.

You can put this in the thread if you think it's appropriate, but I could tell by your tone that you might be thinking it's worth more - and I didn't want to mess up your sale.

Chris

As it turns out, he has a realistic idea of the value but just really appreciates the originality and may keep it.

I agree I would have guessed refinished - it may have just been polished out. Old finishes still age even if the cue is not used. However, I will say that I have an old case that is 50 years old and it was (and is) kept wrapped up in a dark safe and looks like brand new from the factory - I've never seen anything like it. I assume he knows the original owner and has the full story on the cue.

As far as letters from TAD - this is unquestionably a Tad. The joint screw, the buttcap, everything is exactly as it should be. Tad charges at least $150 for an LOA so on plain cues it's not worth it.

Last edited:

jbbilliards1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I love about AZ !!!!!!!
You guys are great, great info, honest PM's
Best Pool Site on earth.....

Just to let people know...this is exactly what the owner told me and I believe him from his known credibility
Cue was purchased in 1970, He tried to be a pool player, tried to play pool for 6 months then QUIT. The cue has been in the case for 40 Years...
It is all original...Cue has never been refinished.. up close you can tell the finish isnt perfect but its original.

Im super excited :eek: :eek:

Took it around the block just now..this thing hits SICK !!!!
Ok gonna put it away lol lol :) :)

BLACK JEF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enough already!

This is what I love about AZ !!!!!!!
You guys are great, great info, honest PM's
Best Pool Site on earth.....

Just to let people know...this is exactly what the owner told me and I believe him from his known credibility
Cue was purchased in 1970, He tried to be a pool player, tried to play pool for 6 months then QUIT. The cue has been in the case for 40 Years...
It is all original...Cue has never been refinished.. up close you can tell the finish isnt perfect but its original.

Im super excited :eek: :eek:

Took it around the block just now..this thing hits SICK !!!!
Ok gonna put it away lol lol :) :)

I would like to tell you this cue is sick! But just do me one favor? Answer your phone tomorrow before I spend my dime on something else! Decent offer will be on its way. Dont marry it! Love people not things! GET MONEY!

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Remove the rubber bumper...does it have a serial number stamped under it?

I would concur with the fact that it looks to have been refinished/rewrapped at some point, but a nice looking cue, anyways.

Most early Tad cues have seen lots of play, and the lacquer did not hold up too well. You can see that in one of my old Tad original cues from a little while back below.

Joe

Tad-earlyplayerinoriginalcondition.jpg
[/IMG]

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude hold out for the Bucks,refinished or not,and get the letter, that could be a deal closer>I have one from the 70s like yours and it is refinished and have been offered twice what I payed.I would not worry about the market,but worry about the right buyer that just has to have a Tad,you should not let that go for less than 1300 to 1500,cause who ever you sell it to for less will turn around a do what you did not do, get the max.Don't get screwed or hiped.....
Hitman

jbbilliards1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude hold out for the Bucks,refinished or not,and get the letter, that could be a deal closer>I have one from the 70s like yours and it is refinished and have been offered twice what I payed.I would not worry about the market,but worry about the right buyer that just has to have a Tad,you should not let that go for less than 1300 to 1500,cause who ever you sell it to for less will turn around a do what you did not do, get the max.Don't get screwed or hiped.....
Hitman

Totally bro, much appreciated honesty.
The finish is original, it doesnt matter what anybody says, i know the guy who owned this cue, its been in his closet for 40 years, he has the Bill of Sale from 1972, the wrap though black was his oddball choice.
For the time being im gonna keep this baby in the safe, i feel like I found a pool treasure that can never be duplicated.
I had it up in the For sale thread for an hour maybe this morning.....I got great responses...so if i ever let it go, it will definitely be for the max lol.

RobertR

WWSLD
Silver Member
I have one of these, identical to yours except for the wrap. I have two shafts with ivory ferrules. I'm getting about the same estimates as you are, props to all here with the great info.

I've had mine since '81. As far as authenticity goes, all one has to do is screw one of these old Tad cues together and hit a ball. You will know immediately. It's a hit that cant ever be duplicated. :wink: