Pool in the Olympics.

cwilmeth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they were to add pool to the Olympics in 2016.
And the events were 9 ball, one pocket and straight pool.
Who would your top ten players be from the US?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

If cue sports make it into the Olympic Games, the events are most likely to be the events that currently appear in the World Games. Those are 3-cushion, men's 9 ball, women's 9 ball, singles and pairs snooker, IIRC.

The US is the only country that I know of that plays one pocket. That is an automatic block to inclusion in the Olympics. (That was the problem with baseball, for example, even though a few other countries do play it.)

Also, I think the events for 2016 are already set. Here is a item about the selection of rugby sevens for 2016 from the IOC website:

At the 121st Session in Copenhagen in October 2009, the IOC members voted in favour of re-introducing rugby to the Olympic programme. In Rio in 2016, rugby sevens will make its appearance at the Olympic Games, with men’s and women’s tournaments each comprising 12 teams.​
So it looks like event changes happen about 7 years before the first inclusion of the event.

Also, no one country would get to send that many players. There would be some kind of qualification before the actual Games.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they were all drug tested and booze free,Shane may be the only one representing
the US.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If they were all drug tested and booze free,Shane may be the only one representing the US.
Well, maybe not the only one. I think alcohol is not banned except maybe during competition. I've been told that officials involved with Olympic-recognized sports are also subject to drug testing.