Another Notch

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I kinda feel the need to apologize for not sharing earlier, but I have now played pool in 6 countries. Yes, independenistas, Puerto Rico is a country!

I want to give a public thanks to our AZBros, Victor Lieng and Monchiwai, for meeting me in Tokyo a couple weeks ago, especially for the smarts they applied in picking an awesome pool room that I could actually get to (see subway map: http://www.speedymole.com/Tubes/Tokyo/tokyo-subway-map.gif ). MAybe one of them can share a link to the pool room's website? I understand it is where the Japan Open is played

In my experience, getting together for pool with people you don't know is often frustrating, as there can be so much difference in skill levels. We played 5hrs of 10b, both winner keeps table and ring-game formats. We kept track of the latter, after hours of battle (50+ games, there was only 3 games difference between the front and the back finishers.

I have had a wonderful pool Month. Thanks, AZBros!

Last edited:

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Sounds like a great time! Thanks for posting the pics. I always enjoy playing in other countries, but especially when the equipment is well taken care of. I played in Korea and Vietnam this year. I've always been treated as a guest of honor.

TheThaiger

Banned
How much does it cost to play pool in Japan?

Pretty much the only country I've ever been and not played a game of pool was...America.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It is truly special to travel so far and meet up with people you had no idea you would ever meet. In which countries have you played?

It's funny you should say about the subway. I went to Shanghai and played with Colin Colenso. He actually met me at my hotel and we rode a subway to the pool room together - I can almost guarantee I wouldn't have made it - the subways in Shanghai are nuts and super busy.

It's not been a goal of mine, but I've played pool in China, Indonesia, Italy, France and Australia. But USA is tops for pool rooms and players. It's a pool hall cornucopia

Last edited:

TheThaiger

Banned
If you decide to come to Los Angeles, I get first crack at you.

Been there, done that. I just remembered why I didn't play in the states - bangers everywhere. Crooked Stroke City. Can pollute a chap, can that. Should be a Government Health Warning on some of your cue actions.

Warning: attempting to emulate how Americans play pool can cause nervousness, irritability, high blood pressure and a tendency to dog easy balls.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
The subway in Tokyo is indeed crazy, not only is it complex there's actually two different train system running and overlaps at some stations. Been there a few times but the first two days have always been spent familiarizing with the lines...unfortunately I haven't played any pool there, that said I wasn't into pool when I was there.

Now I make it a point to ask around AZ when I travel and I think it makes going abroad so much more interesting and definitely something I look forward to.

So far I've met AZers in Shanghai, Xiamen, Beijing, Charlotte, New York and Singapore. Ralf is in Asia right now so I might actually be meeting up with him too.

Anyhow, if any fellow AZer ends up in central China I always welcome a PM for some drinks and pool!

berko

Aggressively passive
Silver Member
Been there, done that. I just remembered why I didn't play in the states - bangers everywhere. Crooked Stroke City. Can pollute a chap, can that. Should be a Government Health Warning on some of your cue actions.

Warning: attempting to emulate how Americans play pool can cause nervousness, irritability, high blood pressure and a tendency to dog easy balls.

Thanks for that. I laughed.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
It was really good to meet you, Black-balled and I had good time as well. Did we play 5 hours? Time went by so fast I didn't even realize it.
I would have loved to hit up a tournament with you and take down the locals. When an unknown foreigner shows up for a tournament here people usually assume they play real strong, and they would have been right!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much does it cost to play pool in Japan?

Pretty much the only country I've ever been and not played a game of pool was...America.

there was a special for day before reservation and monchiwai hooked us up.

iirc, wpaid a little over 3000 yen or 45usd for approx 5 hr andi yhink that may have been half price.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was really good to meet you, Black-balled and I had good time as well. Did we play 5 hours? Time went by so fast I didn't even realize it.
I would have loved to hit up a tournament with you and take down the locals. When an unknown foreigner shows up for a tournament here people usually assume they play real strong, and they would have been right!

pleasyre was all mine! and i would have preferred to meet you for that tournament than do the tourist thing, but oh well...just another example of the real world f-ing with my pool time!:eek: not the first, not the last ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there was a special for day before reservation and monchiwai hooked us up.

iirc, wpaid a little over 3000 yen or 45usd for approx 5 hr andi yhink that may have been half price.
posting on phone...what a typo hassle.

reading the above reminds me we had food and beer too, neither of which i think i paid for.

and i believe i got to the room at 1830 and we left at 2345, victor. you got there a littke later.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Sounds like a great time! I also pick out a few AZers in the area I am traveling in and play some if they are cool with it. JoeyA and ShootingArts were targeted last trip. Traveling abroad is not as easy for me right now but it is in my future.
Thanks for the pics and the story BB.:cool: