Question about a ref call

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of months ago I was at the Sacramento tournament. In one particular match the players had lagged for the break ane it was a very close call as to who won the lag.

The referee was called to make a decision. The ref was Ken Shulman a very fine and respected gentleman that also does excellent commentary on many streamed matches. Anyway he came to the table and surveyed the table like most of us would have. Not being able to make a decision he then went to the foot end of the table, the end where the balls are racked at. He bent down to look toward the other end of the table where the two lagged balls were. I believe he then called for a relag.

Now my question is, what was he looking at or looking for that end of the table. I am puzzled? Any ideas or was this my imagination? Has anyone seen this before?

JC

Coos Cues
A couple of months ago I was at the Sacramento tournament. In one particular match the players had lagged for the break ane it was a very close call as to who won the lag.

The referee was called to make a decision. The ref was Ken Shulman a very fine and respected gentleman that also does excellent commentary on many streamed matches. Anyway he came to the table and surveyed the table like most of us would have. Not being able to make a decision he then went to the foot end of the table, the end where the balls are racked at. He bent down to look toward the other end of the table where the two lagged balls were. I believe he then called for a relag.

Now my question is, what was he looking at or looking for that end of the table. I am puzzled? Any ideas or was this my imagination? Has anyone seen this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMkeJsdYb7k

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you go to the other end of the table, position yourself between the two balls, then bend down until the top of one of the balls "touches" the end of the rail (where the rail and the cloth meet), the one that touches first is closer. You can be very accurate doing it that way.

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
LOL great answer

If you go to the other end of the table, position yourself between the two balls, then bend down until the top of one of the balls "touches" the end of the rail (where the rail and the cloth meet), the one that touches first is closer. You can be very accurate doing it that way.

LOL great answer The only reason I know that is because I have no depth perseption & thats the way I know the distance sometimes.