Snake Skin Wrap

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone tried a cue with a snake skin wrap?

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/9_ball_cues.html

They have 2 cues on there that have a snake skin wrap that I'm tempted to buy. I don't want to jump into the purchase before hearing a few views from people that have tried snake skin.

On a side note I'd recommend anyone to try out their cues. They're based in the UK and are a well known custom snooker cue maker. I've already got an American style cue from them and its by far the best cue I own.

Thanks.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odd. They look distinctively like Philippine made cues.

Very well could be made by a cue maker from the Philippines. If anyone knows who makes their American style cues I'd love to know.

Cheers.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree,personally I would stay away if I were you.
Why?

I have one of their other cues and the quality and playabilty is head and shoulders above anything I've ever owned.

They have a shop nearby that I will check out before I buy anything. Hopefully they will have something similar. They also offer to make snooker cues from scratch, I might see if they do the same for American style cues.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
this thread

I thought this thread was about snake skin wraps.

Never owned a snake skin wrap .I have heard they feel different.

MMike

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought this thread was about snake skin wraps.

Never owned a snake skin wrap .I have heard they feel different.

MMike
Yeah thanks for getting back to the point.

If anyone has tried one, what would they most compare to?

Cheers.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Doesn't seem appealing

Somehow snakeskin just doesn't seem appealing to me. Scaly, seems like it would be fragile too. Seems like it would be slippery...

Just doesn't sound appealing. I like leather...I like it bumpy. Not sticky, but not slippery.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somehow snakeskin just doesn't seem appealing to me. Scaly, seems like it would be fragile too. Seems like it would be slippery...

Just doesn't sound appealing. I like leather...I like it bumpy. Not sticky, but not slippery.
Thanks for that. I think I'm just going to have to take a trip to their shop and try some out.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me know the results, looks like a lot of cue for the money , if they check out I will prabably buy myself
Yeah I will do buddy. I have the B19 on their site. $515(ish) it cost me and if id have bought the exact same cue from a cue maker in the usa i would have paid way more.

TheFletch

Registered
I just recently handled a cue with a snakeskin wrap on it. Now granted it was old, (20+ years I was told) the issues I saw were the scales had actually started to fold outward and there is only one way to "brush" the wrap for fear of going against the grain and having the aforementioned happen.

Otherwise there was no issue as far as actual grip goes. And it does provide an interesting feel with a very unique look. IMO

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Anyone tried a cue with a snake skin wrap?

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/9_ball_cues.html

They have 2 cues on there that have a snake skin wrap that I'm tempted to buy. I don't want to jump into the purchase before hearing a few views from people that have tried snake skin.

On a side note I'd recommend anyone to try out their cues. They're based in the UK and are a well known custom snooker cue maker. I've already got an American style cue from them and its by far the best cue I own.

Thanks.
One of the finest cue makers and he does outstanding work with snake skin..................www.hightowercues.com

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
From what I can see in the pics, my guess is there's likely some finish or sealer on the wrap. Looks to be anyway.

I have 'natural' snake skin on a number of things , can't imagine having it on a cue handle. Just sliding it in and out of a case would kill it pretty fast.

If it is sealed , then its not actually going to feel like snake skin.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why?

I have one of their other cues and the quality and playabilty is head and shoulders above anything I've ever owned.

They have a shop nearby that I will check out before I buy anything. Hopefully they will have something similar. They also offer to make snooker cues from scratch, I might see if they do the same for American style cues.
I know you were wondering about the wrap but you also said you were thinking of purchasing that cue,thats why I said stay away.
If you like them,thats great but for me there's only a couple of cuemakers
from that side of world that produces great quality work that doesn't
banana months later.I use to sell cues with that snakeskin style years ago
and was getting them for $35 dollars a cue and they sold super quick
for 150 to $200 cause of the look.
After a few months I was refunding and taking back well over half
of them due to extreme warping,inlay popping,ferrules loosening and
a handful of other headaches.

You might not have any issues at all but I always believed these cues
are about looks and nothing about quality and playability.

Most of the snakeskin wraps I ever had was coated over-top like a
Meucci so it really didn't feel like anything.
If its on top,I've only heard they get very tacky when your hand heats up.
Goodluck:smile: