cuemakers

Rick

Registered
Hi I was wondering if some of the you guys who know alot about cues could list for me what you think are the best cuemakers around. Maybe you could give me your top 10 or top 5. I am currently shopping around to have a custom cue made I would appreciate any input.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you will find that Dennis Searing is probably the best cue maker alive today but from what I have seen from Edwin Reyes in the Cue gallery he is right up there as well. I don't know if Jacoby would be in most peoples top ten but I will say that the one I have I absolutely love. The balance is incredible and it won't cost you a couple of months salary. I submitted it to the cue gallery as well if you would like to take a look. I actually traded my Schon for it and could not be happier.

Best of luck,
Dave

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
what's your price range, what do you want to get for that price, and are you concerned about resale value?

Rick

Registered
I am having a cue made by Keith Josey and I wanted to see some of the cuemakers of choice to see if he made anyones list

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Rick said:
I am having a cue made by Keith Josey and I wanted to see some of the cuemakers of choice to see if he made anyones list

i think there are some cuemakers who think highly of josey. i've never heard his name pop up on a "top list", and i've never hit with one,,,,never heard anyone mention him, and visually, i think his cue designs are a little "fru-fru" :):):). but they're distinctive.

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues makes a very nice Cue. He'll make you a masterpiece, even if it's a plain masterpiece. His cues also have a GREAT hit.

John Parker can be contacted at 918.610.8016 in Tulsa, OK on Central Daylight Time.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Forgot to mention Capone as well. His cues are beautiful and play extremely well. I don't know if anyone out there has played with one, but BCM makes a beautiful looking cue. Check out his work at
http://www.bcmcue.com/

Regards,
Dave

B

Billy Jungle

try a dzuricky (ZA-RICKY) Check out dzcues.com. GREAT HIT, made to your custom design.Excellent craftsmanship

T

torment

you gotta appreciate the craftsmanship of Josey cues but all those fancy inlays do nothing for the hit of the cue and just drive the price through the roof......personally, i like the way my Mark Bear custom cue hits.... www.bearcues.com .....its my third one and i think it has a good solid hit and comfortable balance point.....he will make fancier cues, but mine is relatively simple and thats all i need......plus its also convenient thats he under a half hour drive away from me too

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Rick,
Its very hard to list the 10 best cuemakers. There are alot of variables involved, IMHO. Your criteria would be different than mine, I am sure. When I buy, either for myself or for the site, I weigh resale vs. name, playability etc.. we do give looks to many new cuemakers. But we appreciate a certain style of cue, more than others. So one design criteria we look at is tradition. We like older designs, points, slotted diamonds, etc. We are old fashioned. :) So my "hi" list would probably be:
Mottey, Skip Weston, Szamboti, Balabushka, South West, Black, and a few others, granted these are all hi end cues. Something a little more lo end would be Rick Howard, Tucker, Paul Fanelli, Don G, and some others. These are cues I have personal experience with, I am sure there are many others.

Joe

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Based on construction, Zylr makes the best built cue.
He doesn't use any weight bolts or metal studs. Every major component of his cues are threaded but not with taps or dies.
Fancy cues are another thing. He doesn't make them.
For a fancy cue that are built very well too, I would go with a Prewitt or Samsara.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Where do you live? That could affect who you might be interested in. I live in Wichita, Ks, and we have a fine cuemaker here, Shurtz Custom Cues. They have become real popular throughout the Midwest, and they are a sponser on the Midwest 9 ball tour. Bob Owen makes the cues, his son Gabe is quite a player.
About 90% of the players around here are playing with Shurtz cues. They hit great, excellent balance, good feel. The cues they have on their website aren't too fancy, but Bob can do fancy ones too, and I have seen them. He did one with silver points I liked real well. My cue, and 5 others were featured in American Cueist Magazine a year ago last January.
Mine is a Southwestern style $1100 20.2 oz. cue with a 'skinny' butt. He makes both regular and skinny butt cues.
Their website is http://www.shurtzq.com

We also have another fine cuemaker here that only makes a few cues anymore when requested. Randy Anderson, or Anderson Cues.

A friend of mine has several Jacoby's and they are a real nice cue with real good inlay work.

Teddy Harris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joseph Cues wrote;
Based on construction, Zylr makes the best built cue. Based on construction, Zylr makes the best built cue. He doesn't use any weight bolts or metal studs. Every major component of his cues are threaded but not with taps or dies.
Do you think that Zylr is the only cuemaker that makes cues that way? You think there ain't cuemakers out there that did that 20 years ago?

Last edited:

Cletus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ted Harris said:
Joseph Cues wrote;

Do you think that Zylr is the only cuemaker that makes cues that way? You think there ain't cuemakers out there that did that 20 years ago?

Don't mind him Ted. This guy's just shilling for him it seems.

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OTOH, I think that there are lots of great cue makers. There are people like Ted who have a reputation, also there are others who are great but not as well known.

I think it is important to talk to the cuemaker and find out the specs. For instance, some have a standard balance. Blackheart's cues are more midbalanced. Scruggs told me when I asked him that his were more forward balance.

This was new for me. I thought that all cuemakers could do it anyway you want it. I think some can make it anyway, although you may pay for it while others have a standard cue with varying weight, tip diameter and fancy stuff like inlays.

Laura