Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Should the TAR table stay as is or go to standard pockets? You choose.
View Poll Results: What size pockets should be on the TAR Table?
Keep the 4 1/8" pockets. 236 46.55%
Switch to standard Diamond 4 1/2" pockets. 271 53.45%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 27 1 2311 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Should the TAR table stay as is or go to standard pockets? You choose.
Old
  (#1)
JCIN
TheActionReport.com
JCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900
  Send a message via AIM to JCIN  
Should the TAR table stay as is or go to standard pockets? You choose. - 01-22-2013, 05:01 AM

There has been some discussion about the TAR table being too tight. So lets see what the majority has to say. Personally I see both sides so I am interested to see where the numbers are. Please vote in the poll.

I would ask that you please only vote if you have watched a match on the TAR Studio table. There are plenty of threads debating the merits of tight or not. I am just looking for some feedback on what customers want to see.

Old
  (#2)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

01-22-2013, 05:01 AM

Gotta have a poll to vote on a poll...

oops

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#3)
JCIN
TheActionReport.com
JCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadub View Post
Gotta have a poll to vote on a poll...

oops

Slow down on the trigger there Tex. You have to post first then fill in the poll. I appreciate the enthusiasm though.

Edit: I meant I had to make the OP then fill in the poll questions after it went up. Hence the post with no poll.

<----starting to confuse himself

Old
  (#4)
ChrisBanks
Banned
ChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-22-2013, 05:07 AM

I vote to keep them as they are.

Old
  (#5)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2013, 05:07 AM

What do the players on the table say? Seems to me that their opinions should hold more weight.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#6)
ChrisBanks
Banned
ChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBanks has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2013, 05:08 AM

4 and 1/8th is not even that tight. If you can hit a ball hard straight down the rail and the ball goes in, I don't see what the problem is.

Old
  (#7)
Eric.
Club a member
Eric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

01-22-2013, 05:09 AM

I'll play. I think 4.25" pockets on a Diamond table is the best of both worlds; challenging table, but loose enough for top players to play rotation games, without going into "tough table stroke".

In the absence of the 4.25" choice, I went with 4.5".

Eric

Old
  (#8)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIN View Post
Slow down on the trigger there Tex. You have to post first then fill in the poll. I appreciate the enthusiasm though.
Interesting. I looked at it a couple times before posting, to make sure, and then since, just in case I inserted foot-in-mouth... hmmm.
I see it this time.

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#9)
JCIN
TheActionReport.com

01-22-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_MD View Post
What do the players on the table say? Seems to me that their opinions should hold more weight.
Actually no they dont hold more weight.

The people who pay the money who make everything we do possible hold the most weight. I pay a lot of attention to what the players say they want but at the end of the day if the fans dont buy it doesn't really matter what they want.

Old
  (#10)
ChrisBanks
Banned

01-22-2013, 05:11 AM

It's not so much the pocket size that matters. It's how much the cloth is worn in. If the cloth is well worn in, that table is going to play hard even on 4.25 pockets.

Old
  (#11)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-22-2013, 05:11 AM

Justin:

There's more to this than just the "size" of the pockets. You probably notice the other banter going on the threads about the other aspects of tightening the pockets, namely whether or not the pockets should have a deep shelf.

Personally, I think if the pocket apertures are tightened, there is less need for a deep shelf. I can understand the need for a deep shelf on a loose pocket so that e.g. it helps to limit slop on shots down the rail -- if the object ball touches the cushion on the way down, depending on how far up the cushion the object ball touches -- that ball should not score.

But if one is accurate enough to nail a tightened pocket "right between the eyes" (i.e. right between the two "points" of the pocket), I think the ball should score. I just don't "get" all this bragging about "deep pocket shelves" that is going on in that other thread.

I vote to keep the smaller pocket aperture -- but do it in a way that doesn't punish a player accurate enough to "nail" that pocket (i.e. as the pocket aperture tightens, there is less and less need for a deep shelf).

-Sean

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Old
  (#12)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly

01-22-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_MD View Post
Agreed. If they aren't happy with it, those would be the most important votes

Last edited by justadub; 01-22-2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Holey fractured english, Batman

Old
  (#13)
(((Satori)))
AzB Silver Member
(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2013, 05:17 AM

I'd like to request some straight pool too.

Old
  (#14)
JCIN
TheActionReport.com

01-22-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadub View Post
Agreed. If they aren't happy with it, those would be the most important votes
I disagree.

Without customers there are no TAR matches. Thus no chance for a player to even have an opinion on the conditions. With more customers they play for more money. Players like money more than they like having every little detail the way they want it. Also what they say they want and what they really mean are not always the same thing.

I dont really want to get into a debate over customers vs players opinions as frankly I already know how much weight I give to each and no one is going to change my mind. Just looking for feedback from customers on what they want to see in the future.

Old
  (#15)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2013, 05:19 AM

OK

I see your point, I was under the assumption that the players themselves, put up money for the event too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIN View Post
Actually no they dont hold more weight.

The people who pay the money who make everything we do possible hold the most weight. I pay a lot of attention to what the players say they want but at the end of the day if the fans dont buy it doesn't really matter what they want.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Page 1 of 27 1 2311 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: