Got to love United Parcel Service

PoolSleuth

Banned
Called UPS this AM to inquire about a Shipping Rate, and the lady asks if I am Familiar with their REQUIREMENTS FOR PACKAGING. I Reply no as I am not exactly sure what she means.

To Paraphrase her.

Only “NEW” or “LIKE NEW” Cardboard Containers, and any Item MUST BE PADDED on all Sides with a “MINIMUM of 2” of Cushioning Material” for the package to be ELIGIBLE for In Insurance.

Wonder how many of us have used UPS, and Paid for Insurance, and potentially could be DENIED A CLAIM because our Item Shipped was not PADDED on all Sides with a “MINIMUM of 2” of Cushioning Material”

FYI Though some of you might want to know

:( :( :( :( :(

cuttyshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't get me started with UPS. Totally committed to non-customer service. Try and get the phone number to the local terminal. Called their 800 number - They won't give it to you. They're never getting another nickel of mine.

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedex is the way to go

Don't get me started with UPS either. To make this pool related, several years ago I had to send a box to Gabe, mostly summer clothing to go to Hawaii, (since over 1/2 of his wardrobe was still with us) with a camcorder safely packed in the middle of the clothing. It was an extremely windy day here in the land of oz.
The UPS rep opened the package, dug through everything, then just handed it back to me unopened, all in disarray, and said I had to take it back & repack it. Very rudely I might add! So as I am carrying this now unopened box to car, several things blew out the top. I was soooo mad. Nevertheless, have never been back, and I shortly discovered thereafter that Fedex is about 1/2 the price, and include the (up to $100) free insurance! Have been using them for over 5 years. Very customer oriented, have never had a problem when making a claim, etc.
Gabe got the box via Fedex.....but about a week later, Double J's new puppy at the time took a bite out of the camcorder in their hotel room. But Fedex had gotten it to him safely.

Purdman

Banned
Hey Bruce

If I was to ship something thru UPS and it gets delivered and it is dammaged, how the hell do they know how much padding I had in there. This might be something you want the reciever to know about. UPS don't have the slightest idea how it was packed!:rolleyes:
Purdman

PoolSleuth

Banned
Purdman said:
If I was to ship something thru UPS and it gets delivered and it is dammaged, how the hell do they know how much padding I had in there. This might be something you want the reciever to know about. UPS don't have the slightest idea how it was packed!:rolleyes:
Purdman

I love you question: He is the Answer, should you get a Damaged UPS Shipment, you got to save the Package, Shipping Material, etc. So they Inspector can come visit you and say Sorry Claim Will not Be Paid. The USPS Rules in MY BOOK, as they are easy to deal with, close to home, and should I have a Claim the Post Office will handle it within a 7 mile drive for me at the Main Office near home.

Purdman

Banned
I have been using USPS for a ling time now.
You could throw in some extra packing before the guy shows up.
Don

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Try DHL

The first experience i ever had with DHL was when Jazznpool sent me my AT-1 jump cue. I must say, that DHL has great service, there tracking was spot on, and no damage to the box at all. :)

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use good old USPS Priority Mail. The package is usually there in 2 days if I get it there in the morning of the first day, most everyone knows the time their regular mail is delivered so you're not wondering all day when the big brown truck is going to pull up ........ and it's about half the cost.

I have never had a package I shipped damaged or go missing.

Cardinal2B

Connecticut Panhandler
Silver Member
...and they have the packaging stuff, too!

Jeff said:
I use good old USPS Priority Mail. The package is usually there in 2 days if I get it there in the morning of the first day, most everyone knows the time their regular mail is delivered so you're not wondering all day when the big brown truck is going to pull up ........ and it's about half the cost.

I have never had a package I shipped damaged or go missing.

The USPS offices have recently added packaging materials & cases, including a tube just perfect for a cue - and they have the bubble-wrap also. I figure using their stuff would make it hard for them to deny a claim based on packing - ?

Chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have very good luck with UPS. I have never heard about any requirement for 2" of padding to be eligible for insurance. In fact, every UPS package comes with $100 insurance at no cost.

I don't like Fed-Ex or USPS, as they have inferior service, in my experience.

I typically ship over a dozen packages a week. Only one has ever been lost (none damaged), and it was found and delivered within a couple hours.

I do have to agree that it is often difficult to reach the local center by phone. That seems to be pretty typical of businesses these days, however.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cardinal2B said:
The USPS offices have recently added packaging materials & cases, including a tube just perfect for a cue - and they have the bubble-wrap also. I figure using their stuff would make it hard for them to deny a claim based on packing - ?

It is easy, they just don't pay. Have you ever tried to collect from the post office? It is like 90 days before you can file and "IF" you ever collect it will be 8, 9 10 months who knows, their insurance is worthless. UPS is pretty good in general and they will pay. I would never send anything of value through the post office.

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
I had a $3,500 sculpture from Wyland in Hawaii sent to California to my sister. When it arrived, the tail of one of the dolphins was broken. My sister immediately called it in and had one of their inspectors come out. He said it wasn't packaged correctly. LOL, my sister didn't take that too well. So, she took the box with all of the contents to her local office and asked them if she was going to send this box out, was it packaged correctly. They said hell yeah, that's one of the best packaging jobs they had ever seen. She then compared the 2 photos of when the inspector looked at it and the way it looked when she showed it to the person at her office. Both exactly the same.

The insurance check arrived within a month.:D My sister was okay with that!:D