Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page When did Efren FIRST come to the USA?
Page 1 of 8 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
When did Efren FIRST come to the USA?
Old
  (#1)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

When did Efren FIRST come to the USA? - 05-08-2006, 05:27 PM

I was having a friendly debate with a guy in the pool hall today about when Efren first came to this country. Any of you guys have a definite answer to the question? An answer you would be willing to wager on? Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Bill Porter
http://billporter.smugmug.com/

Old
  (#2)
nibrobus
AzB Silver Member
nibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2006, 05:29 PM

1985 Houston Red's Tournament

Old
  (#3)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
05-08-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibrobus
That certainly is the common belief. I think you may get an offer of a wager though-I dont think Bill would have posted the question had he thought that was the answer. Of course I'm just guessing.

Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-08-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibrobus
Do you mean the one that was won by Cesar Morales?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Astute!
Old
  (#5)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

Astute! - 05-08-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke
That certainly is the common belief. I think you may get an offer of a wager though-I dont think Bill would have posted the question had he thought that was the answer. Of course I'm just guessing.
An astute observation, Nostroke!

Regards,
Bill Porter

Efren
Old
  (#6)
Only ERO's
AzB Silver Member
Only ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond reputeOnly ERO's has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Efren - 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM

From what I have been told, Efren originally came to Rochester, MN. A good friend of his was here telling everybody about this world class player from the Phillipines that could rob all the Americans. There were two Phillipino brothers (Nate and Efren(sp.) Ramirez) that convinced the owner of Chick's billiards into fronting some money to bring Efren over from the Phillipines.

This is the beginning to the story that I have heard. I could probably look more into it as comments come up. I know about 3-4 people that remember Efren firing the spot shots in without hitting the rail in the basement of Chicks.

Old
  (#7)
Titleist04
AzB Bronze Member
Titleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Titleist04  
05-08-2006, 06:20 PM

1985 Willard's Open

The year?
Old
  (#8)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

The year? - 05-08-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only ERO's
From what I have been told, Efren originally came to Rochester, MN. A good friend of his was here telling everybody about this world class player from the Phillipines that could rob all the Americans. There were two Phillipino brothers (Nate and Efren(sp.) Ramirez) that convinced the owner of Chick's billiards into fronting some money to bring Efren over from the Phillipines.

This is the beginning to the story that I have heard. I could probably look more into it as comments come up. I know about 3-4 people that remember Efren firing the spot shots in without hitting the rail in the basement of Chicks.
Now that sounds like some very good information to my untutored ears (eyes?). The only question is what year was it when he first came.

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#9)
Titleist04
AzB Bronze Member
Titleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist04 has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2006, 06:24 PM

He found a sponsor in 1979 and made his first trip abroad to Japan, where he won $3,000 hustling and playing in tournaments. Six years later he made his first trip to America. He played in and won the Red 9-Ball Open in Houston, Texas, which netted him a few thousand dollars. Then over the next three weeks, playing big money against all comers, Efren won $81,000. But he never saw his promised 50% share. His financier stole the money.

the 1985 Red's tournament?
Old
  (#10)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

the 1985 Red's tournament? - 05-08-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titleist04
He found a sponsor in 1979 and made his first trip abroad to Japan, where he won $3,000 hustling and playing in tournaments. Six years later he made his first trip to America. He played in and won the Red 9-Ball Open in Houston, Texas, which netted him a few thousand dollars. Then over the next three weeks, playing big money against all comers, Efren won $81,000. But he never saw his promised 50% share. His financier stole the money.
The 1985 Red's tournament? I hate to hear he was stiffed for the money, but can't say I'm surprised. Didn't Mike Lebron sort of take him under his wing for a while?

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#11)
Titleist04
AzB Bronze Member

05-08-2006, 06:33 PM

In 1986, he returned to America at the invitation of another financier, a Filipino from Chicago. This man also cheated Efren. In 1987, he had another financier, but they did not get along. In 1988, Efren was financed by an American named Archibald Mitchell. This time Efren finally made money. It was about this time that Efren teamed up with long-time friend, Rolando Vicente, his manager until this day.

Old
  (#12)
Gerry
AzB Silver Member
Gerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2006, 04:28 AM

I'm as big an Efren fan as anyone, but how do you "fire in" a spot shot, and not hit a rail?.....maybe slow spin one in?......but fire?

Gerry

No short term memory and no expectation!=Dead stroke!

Firing in spot shots without hitting a rail?
Old
  (#13)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

Question Firing in spot shots without hitting a rail? - 05-09-2006, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry
I'm as big an Efren fan as anyone, but how do you "fire in" a spot shot, and not hit a rail?.....maybe slow spin one in?......but fire?

Gerry
Got my attention too....

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#14)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry

Gerry
I assume it's a swerve / masse stroke.

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Old
  (#15)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-09-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPorter
I was having a friendly debate with a guy in the pool hall today about when Efren first came to this country. Any of you guys have a definite answer to the question? An answer you would be willing to wager on? Thanks in advance for any help.
I've always assumed he came to the States before he won the 1985 Reds even.

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Page 1 of 8 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: