Problem with distance on cut shots

ledrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone. I've been noticing the shots I tend to miss most are cuts where the cue ball and object ball are close together. For example, a 45 degree cut with a 3-4 separation between CB and OB. Any words of advice on cut shots with balls close together? Thanks

The Grinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope this helps

Something that I do that seems to help me a bit if the balls are real close and i need to cut one fairly thin is to stand up a little higher in my stance than normal which allows me to see the ball I'm cutting and the angle a little better. This also works on kick shots as well (for me anyway). I learned this by watching some of the top 3 cushion players. Most of them seem to not get so low on the ball when they shoot.

Room101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody please delete...

the other thread that is identical to this one before we have two simultaneous threads going on the same exact topic.

Room101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the Grinder, stand taller. Also, visualize a target in line with the pocket and just a few inches from the OB, and focus on sending the ball through that target- once you visualize that line, just put the pocket out of your mind completely. Finally, don't forget about throw on these shots. Using a paper aiming aid is a good way to develop a sense for the amount of throw at different cut angles, with different spin, and varying stroke speed.

Aim Circle from Easy Pool Tutor

The attached file is an improved version I made (I believe the original idea comes from a Babe Cranfield book). Let me know if it doesn't print with the right dimensions, and I can post a vector image.

EDIT: OK, so how do I attach this image so it will just appear as a filename you can click on instead of displaying the actual image in the post as big as a poster.

EDIT: I went ahead and removed the image until I figure out a better way to attach it. That thing was just way too big.

Last edited:

Room101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's George said:
we get the BIG picture :p

Yeah, so how do I fix that? How can I make the attachment appear as only a file name instead of displaying the image directly?

MacGyver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please look at my rant at http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=31608

A main problem on close cut shots is that since they are so close, the Cueball is likely to be sliding(stun) at the moment of contact.

If you are shooting soft/medium, what is happening is that you are undercutting the ball due to the stun throwing the ball out of line.

Solution? Inside english, follow or draw so that as the moment of impact it is spinning, and it will drive the ball where you want it(or learn how much your balls are throwing and just over-cut the shot when you need to use soft stun)

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
yeah i used this aiming device when i was learning to aim, Mick was the one whole made it on Easy Pool Tutor its great, and its free.