Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Do you like the music in your pool room?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Do you like the music in your pool room?
Old
  (#1)
recoveryjones
AzB Silver Member
recoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Do you like the music in your pool room? - 05-14-2006, 11:07 AM

A few months back a guy from my age(49) and era started working at the pool hall.He brought with him his own music(Clapton, Van Morrison , JJ Cale,Bob Marley,the Stones, etc etc) from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and started playing it.

I then got involved and started downloading some of the 500 greatest rock and roll songs of all time,Rocks most played songs, rocks 100 top albums and several other classic rock tunes.I also downloaded several legendary blues tunes. Altoghther I'm in the process of making 25 CD'sor so of hand picked music.It's just one hit after another.We've also selected many of the good hits of today.

Anyways, I can't tell you how thourghly enjoyable it is to play pool accompanyied by the music you love and appreciate.The music had me so melowed that I felt really focused and played good.The guys at the pool hall are really starting to enjoy things as well, as many have commented.

Another time I didn't play so good,however, it was all still an enjoyable experience because of the music. On the other hand , our other main pool hall plays nothing but disco crap and rap music.Although I like a little(some rap) of everything,that pool hall is top heavy on what I don't like.I know music is a personal thing and some people like that stuff,however, the music has made me change home pool rooms.I also realize the pool room owner has to cater to the crowd that makes up the majority of his customers.

Does music influence your choice of pool rooms?
Do you shoot any better with certain tunes playing?
How's the music in your pool room?
RJ

Last edited by recoveryjones; 05-14-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Old
  (#2)
bizboy313
AzB Silver Member
bizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond reputebizboy313 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to bizboy313  
05-14-2006, 11:13 AM

I actually enjoy the music in a room (if there is any) to be loud and heavy i.e. rap or rock. For me, it helps me kinda zone out and concentrate on the game and I think the rythmn of the hip hop music helps me keep control of my mind but thats just me. Some people need complete silence or low music, if any. What bothers me is the easy listening crap because for some reason, I can't concentrate when its playing lol.

Old
  (#3)
Onemoreyouth
AzB Silver Member
Onemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud ofOnemoreyouth has much to be proud of

05-14-2006, 12:05 PM

i find it funny on my monday night leauge of 95 percent middle age and up men that all the music playing is always the same hardcore band or chris rock, or rap.... and thats catering to the majority of their customors? must be a lot more 'hip' old guys than i thought.

personally i like a little of everything, but i agree, when i pick my own music at the college to play to, its the oldies... that stuff is relaxing to me without overwhelming the room.

i really dont care what is playing as long as i dont have to yell across the table to talk... but what really gets me is the same song over and over every week... thats what drives me up the wall... theres a few million songs in the world today, and these drunks only like 3?

Old
  (#4)
Masayoshi
Fusenshou no Masa
Masayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2006, 12:51 PM

anything is better than hearing the pump it up (ddr kockoff) machine blare korean music all day long at my school's student union (think the same demo song 100+ times in a row). i actually dont mind loud music at bars because of it, at least theres some variety.

Old
  (#5)
Scottlucasi19
AzB Silver Member
Scottlucasi19 will become famous soon enoughScottlucasi19 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Scottlucasi19  
05-15-2006, 04:56 AM

I love listening to Jim Croce when I play

Old
  (#6)
catscradle
<< 2 all-time greats
catscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2006, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoveryjones
No, though I would prefer a place with no music, classical music (unheard of), jazz, or classic rock 'n roll in that order.
Quote:
I more accurate to say I shot worse with certain tunes on. I don't think any music has a positive effect on my game, but some can be distracting and irritating.
Quote:
RJ
A real mix depending upon who's playing it. Classic rock, country western, head banger rock. Alas, no classical .

Bring back Jimbo from CT
Better to wear out than to rust out.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
"The urge to struggle lies latent in everyone." - Roger Bannister, The Four Minute Mile
"To die is nothing, but it is terrible not to live." - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

Old
  (#7)
degenrat
AzB Silver Member
degenrat has much to be proud ofdegenrat has much to be proud ofdegenrat has much to be proud ofdegenrat has much to be proud ofdegenrat has much to be proud ofdegenrat has much to be proud ofdegenrat has much to be proud ofdegenrat has much to be proud ofdegenrat has much to be proud of

05-15-2006, 05:54 AM

i like hard rock, classic rock and metal to play if i had the choice. it pumps me up a bit, and i can zone out.

Old
  (#8)
gulfportdoc
AzB Silver Member
gulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2006, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoveryjones
RJ
If they MUST play music, I don't care what it is --except rap, which is not music. But the VOLUME should be low enough that you can hear conversation at normal levels. In most rooms the music is intrusively loud. I guess they think they're being hip, slick and cool; but they're really just being annoying. I usually leave when the music is so loud I can't concentrate any longer.

In one room I attend, the owner finally put the speakers on separate controls in the room, so that the bar box players can get music blasted at them while they're getting blasted.

Doc

Old
  (#9)
pooltchr
Prof. Billiard Instructor
pooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2006, 06:11 AM

I agree that keeping the volume to a reasonable level is most important. My personal preference is classic rock. The Doors, Allman Brothers, and just about anything out of the 70's. The room I play in even has the Grateful Dead on the jukebox!
Steve

Steve Jennings
PBIA Master Instructor

www.playbetterbilliards.com

Old
  (#10)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 62
  Send a message via MSN to uwate  
05-15-2006, 06:47 AM

I love listening to music in the pool room, although sometimes when Im on a table that has a speaker right next to it, it can be annoying if they are playing some tunes I dont like. One of the two rooms I play out of has a jukebox connected online and it downloads songs from a huge list. I really like that jukebox because I get to hear alot of new music. Alot of times I find myself saying to my opponent "hey brb" and walking over to see whats playing so I can remember to search it out later.

Nothing worse that a dead silent pool room!

Old
  (#11)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2006, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooltchr
The room I play in even has the Grateful Dead on the jukebox!
Steve
Yes but do they play any Dick's Picks or is it all the Dead's studio stuff which sucks ass imo compared to their live stuff?

If you like the Dead, check this out:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etreeli...rateful%20Dead

Well over 1000 concerts of the Dead streaming online. Many of them soundboards (Betty Boards). Hey Now, Hey Now!

Old
  (#12)
pooltchr
Prof. Billiard Instructor
pooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2006, 07:28 AM

How about China Cat/I Know you rider from the movie soundtrack? (Which also happens to be in my car's CD player at the moment)
I'm telling you, this place rocks!
Steve

Steve Jennings
PBIA Master Instructor

www.playbetterbilliards.com

Old
  (#13)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2006, 07:30 AM

There is a saying that one person's music is another person's noise.

I like to listen to music. I have the stereo on all day long when not watching TV. The probelm is the volume. I don't like to be in a place where it is so loud that all you are hearing is noise because of all the distortion comming from the speakers. Many do not realize it but you do become noise fatiqued from the distortion. All that booming that seems to be so fasinating today is nothing but distortion from overloading the speakers.

The worst is when it is really quite and then the jukebox comes blasting on.

Old
  (#14)
uwate
daydreaming about pool

05-15-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooltchr
How about China Cat/I Know you rider from the movie soundtrack? (Which also happens to be in my car's CD player at the moment)
I'm telling you, this place rocks!
Steve
Check out this ChinaCat/IKYR from 1985.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-...39.sbeok.flacf

Old
  (#15)
Craig Fales
Registered bubinga user
Craig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400
  Send a message via MSN to Craig Fales Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Fales  
05-15-2006, 07:41 AM

On top of someone exhausting their cigarette smoke, a quiet pool room is annoying...for me any rock from '65 on will get me in the zone...
________

Last edited by Craig Fales; 08-25-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: