Reload this Page BCA Open - Some of What I've seen
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
BCA Open - Some of What I've seen
Old
  (#1)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

BCA Open - Some of What I've seen - 05-16-2006, 07:52 AM

Sharing some of what I saw Monday form the women's draw ------

Paglia's win over Karen Corr was the big story of the day, and Angel was very sharp in this one.

Melissa Little had Allison Fisher in big trouble, ahead by 6 - 2, but Allison ralied to win the next few racks, to go up 7 - 6. When Little missed a seven ball where she appeared about to tie it 7 - 7, that was it, with Allison prevailing by 9 - 6. Vintage Allison down the stretch.

Wendy Jans played outstanding pool in trouncing Tiffany Nelson. Jans made an amost impossible runout at 5 - 2 and coasted after what I thought was the defining rack of the match.

All this aside, the lasting impression for me was watching Jasmin Ouschan's incredible effort in a 9 - 0 dismantling of Alice Rim. Ouschan's game has developed since last year, and I see her playing with far more attention to detail than ever before. It's difficult to know whether Jasmin can sustain this level of play, but if she can, she's among those with a chance to win this title.

On the men's side:

Hopkins had a 10 - 1 lead on Reyes and had numerous chances to close it out. Reyes got it to 10 - 10, but when Efren scratched on the double hill break it appeared Allen would escape. As there was a cluster on the table, Allen opted for a one nine combo, a shot I reckon he should make two times out of three, but hit it poorly. Reyes still had a tough run to negotiate with a cluster to break out along the way, but rose to the occasion for the shocking comeback win, 11 - 10.

Roschkowski vs Immonen was a good one. Each had some issues with their break, but they really played like champions up to 7 - 7. A couple of uncharacteristic erros by Mika down the stretch , a missed eight ball in particular, ended up costing Mika the match, with Roschkowskli a deserving winner.

Hohmann didn't showed his best against Ernesto Dominguez, but played well enough to get through in a match not really as close as the 11 - 9 score would suggest.

My first look at Kuo was uninspiring. He was very sloppy in his 11 - 8 win over Tony Robles, who never really got started in that match. Pei Wei Chang has a lot of game, and Satoshi Kawabata is playing great pool. I didn't get to catch Dennis Orcullo, but hope to see him play Reyes today.

Don't expect too many updates, as I don't have a laptop. I'm posting from a lobby kiosk at the Riviera. Still, I'll do what I can.

Last edited by sjm; 05-16-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Old
  (#2)
sniper
AzB Silver Member
sniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond reputesniper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3800

05-16-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm
Sharing some of what I saw Monday form the women's draw ------

Paglia's win over Karen Corr was the big story of the day, and Angel was very sharp in this one.

Melissa Little had Allison Fisher in big trouble, ahead by 6 - 2, but Allison ralied to win the next few racks, to go up 7 - 6. When Little missed a seven ball where she appeared about to tie it 7 - 7, that was it, with Allison prevailing by 9 - 6. Vintage Allison down the stretch.

Wendy Jans played outstanding pool in trouncing Tiffany Nelson. Jans made an amost impossible runout at 5 - 2 and coasted after what I thought was the defining rack of the match.

All this aside, the lasting impression for me was watching Jasmin Ouschan's incredible effort in a 9 - 0 dismantling of Alice Rim. Ouschan's game has developed since last year, and I see her playing with far more attention to detail than ever before. It's difficult to know whether Jasmin can sustain this level of play, but if she can, she's among those with a chance to win this title.

A quick look at the brackets would certainly indicate the younger ladies are ready to make their move, something I would attribute to them having a little more experience now on the WPBA. The crop of great players under 25 is great for the future of the WPBA IMO, the most exciting of these young players has to be the young Austrian Jasmin Ouschan, damn can this girl shoot! More impessive than her skill, has to be her attitude and willingness to improve, a trait that boldly reminds me of Thorsten Hohmann in his earlier pre-WPC days. The sky is truly the limit for her and the others as well, it will be very interesting to see how this crop of young players performs the rest of the week.

Old
  (#3)
vagabond
AzB Silver Member
vagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-16-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm

Don't expect too many updates, as I don't have a laptop. I'm posting from a lobby kiosk at the Riviera. Still, I'll do what I can.

You gave an excellent synopsis and that should be good enough for any information hungry couch potatos.

Old
  (#4)
lewdo26
Registered User will do
lewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1350

05-16-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
You gave an excellent synopsis and that should be good enough for any information hungry couch potatos.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the effort, sjm! I've never seen Orcullo play, and I'm terribly jealous. Enjoy!

//nothin' like rack after rack til' the chalk won't wash off//

Great Work
Old
  (#5)
Subsonic2u
No wonder I can't shoot
Subsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up Great Work - 05-16-2006, 10:50 AM

Thanx for the update for all of us stuck at home. Can't wait for more news. I've been watching the brackets and must agree, the big shocker was to see Karen Corr's loss in the 2nd round. Charlie

Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets YOU. Notice I said YOU, and not me.
Confucius say: better to look down at grass than to look up at roots. Proud to b a Houleigan
Subsonic2u@aol.com

Old
  (#6)
Njhustler1
AzB Silver Member
Njhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond reputeNjhustler1 has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2006, 11:20 AM

t minus 6 hours til boarding. can't wait.

"We're gonna play some pool...Skip some school... Act real cool...Stay out all night... It's gonna feel alright... So Rosie come out tonight..." - Bruuuuuce

Visit Willow Billiards - Hoboken, NJ

Old
  (#7)
zeeder
Will queue for cues
zeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

05-16-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njhustler1
t minus 6 hours til boarding. can't wait.
t minus 95.5 hours 'til bording for me, but I'm not going to vegas...lol.

Zack <--- Guy who likes cues

Old
  (#8)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2006, 01:02 PM

Thanks sjm,
Looking forward to some more reports / insights when you get the chance.

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Old
  (#9)
rackmsuckr
Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
rackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond reputerackmsuckr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

05-16-2006, 06:26 PM

Thanks SJM, I have been stuck on the amateur side so far and have been meaning to meet you. Today, we went shopping and are having a birthday BBQ, and teams start tomorrow. Look me up if you get the chance - in the open - Voodoo Dolls.

Who is the new young Asian pro called Yung Yung or Yum Yum? Is he Taiwanese or Philipino? I saw him pointed out and he was wearing a red polo shirt with lots of logos.

I put the Mental in Ornamental

Old
  (#10)
brock
AzB Silver Member
brock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond reputebrock has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2006, 03:24 AM

hey SJM, i will bring you my laptop if you know how to work it???? you can call me around 10 or 11 wenesday at 713-203-8386, if you see a ZZ Top looking rif-faff dude that might be me!!!! Brock

Old
  (#11)
daake0266
AzB Bronze Member
daake0266 is on a distinguished road

05-17-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackmsuckr
Who is the new young Asian pro called Yung Yung or Yum Yum? Is he Taiwanese or Philipino? I saw him pointed out and he was wearing a red polo shirt with lots of logos.
King-Chui Yu? He and Chen-Man Lee are both from Hong Kong.

Old
  (#12)
spadevil
AzB Silver Member
spadevil is a glorious beacon of lightspadevil is a glorious beacon of lightspadevil is a glorious beacon of lightspadevil is a glorious beacon of lightspadevil is a glorious beacon of lightspadevil is a glorious beacon of light

05-17-2006, 03:48 AM

Any brackets for the Masters and Open?

I heard Mick Hill (UK) bt Karl Boyes (UK) in the Open final and Daren Appleton won the Masters event.

Old
  (#13)
cuechick
Flys In the Kitchen
cuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond reputecuechick has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2006, 06:02 AM

I have looked at the BCA website and can not find any info about the amatuer competion AT ALL, very frustrating!

Both from HK.
Old
  (#14)
BlowFish
Pinoy D-Player
BlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond reputeBlowFish has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200
 Send a message via ICQ to BlowFish Send a message via MSN to BlowFish Send a message via Yahoo to BlowFish Send a message via Skype™ to BlowFish 
Both from HK. - 05-17-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daake0266
King-Chui Yu? He and Chen-Man Lee are both from Hong Kong.
Both are definitely from HK. King-Chui Yu is most likely a snooker player, but Chen-Man "Bobby" Lee is a poolplayer and sponsored by HK Pool Club. Bobby is an IPT'er as well.

Name: Jhun Jimeno
Playing Cue: Mezz >PUJ-1 with WD700, HybridPro2 and Hybrid Alpha shafts.
Break Cue: Mezz >PB-O with DeepImpact Pro shaft.
Cue Case: Mezz >NPC-35B2 and J.Flowers 4x8 by John Barton.

My Merry Widows Collection

tell me about it.
Old
  (#15)
PROG8R
Gator Nation
PROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond repute

tell me about it. - 05-17-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuechick
I have looked at the BCA website and can not find any info about the amatuer competion AT ALL, very frustrating!
Their website pretty much sucks when it comes to being able to track the competition.

Mr. HE15MAN.
GATORNATION

"Giving freakishly competitive Tebow extra motivational fuel is like giving John Daly the keys to a Krispy Kreme bakery and a bottle of scotch. Very bad idea." Pat Forde ESPN analyst.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: