Reload this Page Sinking the 8 early
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Sinking the 8 early
Old
  (#1)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Sinking the 8 early - 05-16-2006, 05:10 PM

I've been starting to think that the rules for 8 ball should be amended.

One of the few rules that never seem to change when it comes to 8 ball, is that if you pot the 8 early you lose. This rule has never been very logical in my opinion, except perhaps for bar box play where you can't get the balls back.

I'm not an advocate of any rule that allows a weaker player to win without working for the victory. Of course there will always be luck, but usually with better players if the 8 ball goes early it is due to gross misfortune. It is a type of misfortune that could easily be rectified by changing the rule.

Personally I feel that a mispotted 8 ball should result in a foul cue ball in hand, and a respotted 8 ball.

Does anyone else agree?

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Old
  (#2)
Chris
AzB Silver Member
Chris is just really niceChris is just really niceChris is just really niceChris is just really nice

05-16-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Smith

One of the few rules that never seem to change when it comes to 8 ball, is that if you pot the 8 early you lose. This rule has never been very logical in my opinion, except perhaps for bar box play where you can't get the balls back.

I'm not an advocate of any rule that allows a weaker player to win without working for the victory. Of course there will always be luck, but usually with better players if the 8 ball goes early it is due to gross misfortune. It is a type of misfortune that could easily be rectified by changing the rule.

Personally I feel that a mispotted 8 ball should result in a foul cue ball in hand, and a respotted 8 ball.

Does anyone else agree?
I don't have an opinion on changing the rule, but I will say that is my least favorite way to end a game, win or lose.

Old
  (#3)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2006, 05:35 PM

I agree it is such a bittersweet win when it happens, it is anti-climatic for anyone watching, and it simply sucks when it happens to you.

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Old
  (#4)
Harvywallbanger
Josh Eisert
Harvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond reputeHarvywallbanger has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2006, 05:52 PM

Agreed...now how do we change it?

While were at it what about the scratch on the 8 you loose rule. Ball in hand should be sufficient enough for this as well, right?

Last edited by Harvywallbanger; 05-16-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Old
  (#5)
lewdo26
Registered User will do
lewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond reputelewdo26 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1350

05-16-2006, 06:17 PM

I don't like the change. The weaker player will pocket the 8 early much more often than a stronger player. I think it adds to the complexity of the game - breaking out clusters with precision, playing with 5 pockets due to a hanging 8 ball, etc.

//nothin' like rack after rack til' the chalk won't wash off//

Old
  (#6)
seiyaryu55
D ranked ball banger =P
seiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to seiyaryu55  
05-16-2006, 06:39 PM

I agree in both terms. I hate it when somehow i miss position or something and then the cue ball accidently bumps into another ball and then its like a chain reaction and next thing i know the 8 ball is in the pocket.....

BUT that doesnt happen to me very often. In fact against beginners i like to play around and nudge the 8 closer to a pocket that i wont be using. Then when they bang balls around its almost like an instant win. Teaches them not to bang balls around carelessly.

I wouldnt change the rule though. If you really are better than the other then you may lose the rack but youll still win the match.

Name: Stan
Playing Cue: RJH Sneaky Pete
Hours a week: 2-3

8 early u lose
Old
  (#7)
Subsonic2u
No wonder I can't shoot
Subsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 8 early u lose - 05-16-2006, 09:39 PM

While an early 8 in not a nice way to win or lose, I think it is an important part of the game. A quality player seldom has an early 8 and it definately teaches the bangers to get a stroke and go for a shot/position rather than just bang the balls around. There is not a better way for a banger to learn, than to lose by not making carefully planned shots.

As for a scratch on the 8, it should b a definate loss. Most any quality player can avoid a scratch. Another part of the game. That's how u learn what to do and what not to do.

Have we come so far that we don't want to take responsibility for our own actions, EVEN on a pool table? I can hear it now! It's not my fault, I was mistreated as a child and I should not b punished for an early 8. I want a do over. Grow up, it's what makes the game exciting. Next thing people will b wanting to try a shot a second time if they miss on the first try. Facing the consequences is possibly the most important teacher for those who are not careful. If u are willing to bang your balls, u might have to face the agony of defeat.

Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets YOU. Notice I said YOU, and not me.
Confucius say: better to look down at grass than to look up at roots. Proud to b a Houleigan
Subsonic2u@aol.com

Last edited by Subsonic2u; 05-16-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Old
  (#8)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

05-16-2006, 09:54 PM

It's a loss according to BCA rules.
Scratching on the 8 without making it is not a loss according to BCA though.
Also, if you make the 8 on the break, it's not a win according to BCA.

Old
  (#9)
GADawg
AzB Silver Member
GADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic2u
While an early 8 in not a nice way to win or lose, I think it is an important part of the game. A quality player seldom has an early 8 and it definately teaches the bangers to get a stroke and go for a shot/position rather than just bang the balls around. There is not a better way for a banger to learn, than to lose by not making carefully planned shots.

As for a scratch on the 8, it should b a definate loss. Most any quality player can avoid a scratch. Another part of the game. That's how u learn what to do and what not to do.
I agree. Treating the 8 with respect while trying to make the other balls is an integral part of the game, as is not scratching while shooting the 8.

I think however that in BCA rules a scratch while shooting the 8 is not loss of game if you do not make the 8 on the shot. It is a BIH foul. If you make the 8 and scratch, it is loss of game.

Old
  (#10)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Does anyone else agree?
I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. I happen to play a lot of 8-ball and use the early-eight rule to my advantage more often in a strategical sense than I am the bearer of misfortune. It is the ultimate blocker and can be positioned infront of pockets that your opponent may need. In sum, it adds to the strategy of the game. Without it, 8-ball becomes far more offensive game. The intricacies that many players are attracted to would be significantly reduced. I do admit, watching a player lose because of an improbable carom is disheartening but it's a worthy trade-of (IMHO) for what that rule adds.

Cue: Schon with OB shaft
Twitter: @JudeRosenstock

Old
  (#11)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2006, 10:47 PM

The punishment should fit the crime, or the magnitude of the error in this case.

I don't like the 8 early loss or the scratch loss for those reasons, as it often punishes the aggressive and better player.

Most fouls at higher levels will result in loss of game anyway, but at least the opponent has to earn it.

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Old
  (#12)
Subsonic2u
No wonder I can't shoot
Subsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond reputeSubsonic2u has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2006, 11:21 PM

I don't like the 8 early loss or the scratch loss for those reasons, as it often punishes the aggressive and better player
----------

Better player?? A "better player" does not lose control of his balls. His Q ball does not bang into other balls unless he plays it that way. The best players in my area rarely have an early 8 or scratch on the 8. They know where their ball is going and that is what makes them a better player. They hit their ball just hard enough to make the shot and get position on the next ball. They do not bang the Q ball and watch it caroom wildly around the table hitting every ball in sight. It's called position play and speed control. That is what makes them good.

The players that have the most early 8s and scratches are the bangers. The newer players that lack the knowledge of position play. They hit every shot hard and the Q travels around the table knocking balls everywhere. No wonder they get early 8s. I c them going for a shot and I'm just sitting there watching, knowing full well they are going to scratch. Yet they are oblivious to what is about to happen. A quality player knows where his ball will go and will use draw, follow, or side spin to avoid a scratch and get position. Until the bangers learn position play and speed control, they deserve to lose for an early 8. Eventually they will learn that banging the Q ball causes them to lose. Only then will they move up a notch and use position play and speed control. As long as a banger keeps winning, he thinks he is a great player.

Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets YOU. Notice I said YOU, and not me.
Confucius say: better to look down at grass than to look up at roots. Proud to b a Houleigan
Subsonic2u@aol.com

Old
  (#13)
It's George Old Owner
AzB Silver Member

It's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant futureIt's George Old Owner has a brilliant future

05-16-2006, 11:36 PM

wouldn't it be fun if the main aim of 8ball is to pot the 8 to win!
i can just forsee that every1 would just blast the balls ard the 8 every time

Old
  (#14)
supergreenman
truly addicted
supergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1695
  Send a message via Yahoo to supergreenman  
05-16-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Does anyone else agree?
I don't agree, learn to control whitey and you don't have to worry about it.

My $0.02 Canadian(worth more and more every day)

James
Pool is my meditation, billiards and the art of zen
Hours a week playing:15-20
Best Bud Bowler 2009

Old
  (#15)
juanbond
Software Engineer
juanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond reputejuanbond has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to juanbond  
05-17-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:

Does anyone else agree?
I can see this side of the argument...perhaps it would make for an interesting alternative set of 8-ball rules. I certainly remember a few league games in which this situation bit me in the ass!

I still think that losing when making the eight early is the most fitting rule for this most excellent billiards game (and my favorite along with 1P). Like someone previously said, it adds to the complexity of the game; there's added precision/forethought required to avoid sinking the eight early. I think of it as a counterpart to making the nine early in nine-ball. In nine ball (one of my least favorite games), you can win by slopping in the nine. In eight ball, you don't have this luxury. I think this is the way it should be. I like this anti-ball-banger rule. It gives that devilish, black eight ball a wonderfully ominous status in the game.

===============================================
DPM Video Stream
DPM Films :: Pool Highlight Videos from the Danville Pool Mafia
SnookerBase :: Tracking the World's Snooker Stats on the Web!!!
===============================================

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: