Jeanette Lee Competes in World 14.1 Championship!

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
Jeanette Lee Competes in World 14.1 Championship!

Jeanette Lee, along with 2 other top women pros, have been invited to play in the 2006 World Straight Pool Championship on May 30-June 4,2006 at the HIlton in East Brunswick ,NJ. Lee has been a big fan of the game since her start in pool, learning from local NYC legends growing up. The last straight pool tournament she competed in was over 7 years ago where she played in a mens field and defeated some notable names such as Dallas West and Johnny Ervolino. Many top players admit they believe Jeanette may be the best women's straight pool player in the world today.

"Jeanette is a solid player. Her straight pool upbringing I think helps her 9-Ball game because she sees the right patterns. I'm glad she got an invitation to play, she's the best woman's straight pool player out there." says Mika Immonen.

" Straight pool is definitely my favorite game and I grew up learning and playing the best 14.1 players. I'm told I hold the Women's High Run of 152 consecutive balls. Straight pool helps all areas of your game and I continue to learn new things all the time. I'm really looking forward to competing in this year's World 14.1 Championship." - Jeanette Lee, Former 9-ball and Trick Shot World Champion.

To see the other top women playing in the World 14.1 Championship goto www.seyberts.com. Also see what some of the top men pro players are saying about the women playing in the event and see who they think was the greatest female player of all time. www.seyberts.com will also be doing feature interviews, top 14.1 tips from the pros, and live scoring during the whole week of the event May 30-June 4.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you, and keep the updates coming. I am looking forward to attending as spectator in two weeks.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go Jeanette! I used to play her 100 to 25 at Chelsea Billiards ... of course she was 16 then.

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure Grady will be excited to see this lol! But I think it's great that Jeanette will be competing, pool is a sport that has at times, lacked the "battle of the sexes" matchups with women prohibited from competing in the US Open and WPC. Can anyone confirm for sure that this is the first time women will be competing in a sanctioned world championship?

SkippyFL

Who is this guy?
Silver Member
You know, I hate to sound sexist or to bad mouth her game but Jeanette has no chance against the men. She would absolutely slaughter me and most of the guys on here... but not the male pros.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
SkippyFL said:
You know, I hate to sound sexist or to bad mouth her game but Jeanette has no chance against the men. She would absolutely slaughter me and most of the guys on here... but not the male pros.

Skip-man,
I have to disagree. She definitely beat all of the men in our straight pool league this year. Oh wait...we all suck. Well, anyway, I STILL think she has a fighting chance against anyone in the field.

Straight pool is much, much more than ball running ability. A player with great knowledge can make up for lesser overall pocketing ability. While I agree that her overall game is not as strong as the best men players; her straight pool knowledge may definitely exceed many of theirs. Though I doubt JL's game is back to its best after surgery, I do believe she will be a credible threat in ANY match she enters. Good luck to JL. I hope we'll hear from you if she does well (I'll have plenty of good excuses if she doesn't).

xander

Registered
Go Jeanette! =)

Nice to see Jeanette playing here... =) I will be rooting for her as always...

One question to anyone though, who decides on who gets invited? How come Reyes or Bustamante or Earl never gets to compete in straight pool events? Aren't they any good at this game? Anyway, just asking.... :)

Thanks!

SkippyFL

Who is this guy?
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Skip-man,
I have to disagree. She definitely beat all of the men in our straight pool league this year. Oh wait...we all suck. Well, anyway, I STILL think she has a fighting chance against anyone in the field.

Straight pool is much, much more than ball running ability. A player with great knowledge can make up for lesser overall pocketing ability. While I agree that her overall game is not as strong as the best men players; her straight pool knowledge may definitely exceed many of theirs. Though I doubt JL's game is back to its best after surgery, I do believe she will be a credible threat in ANY match she enters. Good luck to JL. I hope we'll hear from you if she does well (I'll have plenty of good excuses if she doesn't).

I will precurse this post with the following: I mean Jeanette Lee and her game no disrespect by this post, I am simply of the opinion that female pros are not on par with male pros.

I'll be happy to eat crow if she does well, but I'm just not convinced that the women are on par with the men. If she is as strong in straights as you say then shes definitely not to be automatically discounted but, I just don't think she is good enough to win or even place top ten consistently in large men's events.

I know its a horse of a different color but, how far down on last year's money list would we have to go to find an opponent that she could beat consistently? Number 20 on the list is Shawn Putnum and I for one don't think she has a snowball's chance in hell at beating him playing a rotation game (I don't know his speed at straight pool so I cant compare). Or lets put it another way; do you think she could place top ten overall if she were to play for a year in the mens division of the FL Pro Tour?

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeanette will do fine...

Win or lose, she can hold her own in most games, and the record shows that her 14.1 game is strong. Irvalino and West? Come on gang it has even been mentioned about her skill at reading table paterns.

She is a fierce competitor and an excellent shot maker; which is to say she is not afriad to take tough shots. If you play at any high level in 14.1 you know this goes with the territory for getting high run counts.

She also has an additional advantage because of the somewhat rooted feeling (in men) that women cannot keep up with the men. Well I am sorry to burst any bubbles here, but 14.1 is a true art form of billiards, maybe second only to 3-cushion, which virtually balances the playing field regardless of gender.

She is a pro, and by the way she can hold her own at 3-cushion as well.

Again, I am confident that Jeanette will make a good showing.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
SkippyFL said:
I for one don't think she has a snowball's chance in hell at beating him playing a rotation game (I don't know his speed at straight pool so I cant compare). Or lets put it another way; do you think she could place top ten overall if she were to play for a year in the mens division of the FL Pro Tour?

Skippy,
I was not discussing "rotation games." The lack of a power break is a tremendous handicap for a woman player. There is no power break in straight pool; she has a chance (though, as I said, her overall game is still not as strong as the top pro's).

I can tell you that JL trounced a famous road player in a DCC gambling match a few years ago. JL had a designated male breaker, they played even otherwise. Give Allison or Karen a designated breaker and I think they would fare quite well on your FL Pro Tour (though I don't know who plays on it, I don't think it matters, those girls have serious game).

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
She can run 152 balls yet have no chance?

Factor in that some guys play bad when they play against women and she might place pretty high.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9BallBust-O said:
She has trouble running a rack of 9 ball - much less 150 and out

Take my word for it, she's very soild at straight pool. I've seen her play straight dozens of times over the years and during that time, seen her have some impressive runs. I honestly think it'll be a real treat to have her there and hope that she's recouped enough to handle the necessary practice-time it will require to be ready for this event. Last I saw her, it was a few months after surgery and you can tell it's been tough.

Seriously, she's run a 100 multiple times. Anyone with a resume like hers SHOULD be invited.

9BallBust-O

Draw that Rock
Silver Member
Well best of luck to her. Im tryin to be positive here but there are some other women with backgrounds more related to 41.1, that if practice was done, would do great , yet were not invited and some guys that are the best in the world not invited. Oh well ... whatever I suppose. But still good luck JL.

pharaoh68

Banned
SkippyFL said:
I will precurse this post with the following: I mean Jeanette Lee and her game no disrespect by this post, I am simply of the opinion that female pros are not on par with male pros.

I'll be happy to eat crow if she does well, but I'm just not convinced that the women are on par with the men. If she is as strong in straights as you say then shes definitely not to be automatically discounted but, I just don't think she is good enough to win or even place top ten consistently in large men's events.

I know its a horse of a different color but, how far down on last year's money list would we have to go to find an opponent that she could beat consistently? Number 20 on the list is Shawn Putnum and I for one don't think she has a snowball's chance in hell at beating him playing a rotation game (I don't know his speed at straight pool so I cant compare). Or lets put it another way; do you think she could place top ten overall if she were to play for a year in the mens division of the FL Pro Tour?

I'll agree here and again, though he has not answered it yet, I have to ask Charlie Williams what was his process for selecting who received an invite and who didn't because some very accomplished and noteable 14.1 players were left off of this list while some other more well-known non-straight pool players got invites. Was it really justbecause they would bring in a crowd? Because that's a terrible way to put on a "Championship" event. When you organize something that is supposed to crown the best of the best, it would only make sense to have the best there.

SkippyFL

Who is this guy?
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Skippy,
I was not discussing "rotation games." The lack of a power break is a tremendous handicap for a woman player. There is no power break in straight pool; she has a chance (though, as I said, her overall game is still not as strong as the top pro's).

Corey Duel seems to do pretty well without a power break.

9BallBust-O

Draw that Rock
Silver Member
Yeah I think its so INCORRECT when people say - oh the women cant play well because of the break - first off I have seen some women smash the cue ball SECOND Corey Deuel break works great and its a soft as it gets. The power of the break means nothing - its the timing behind it and cue ball the rest is luck really - all luck off the break. I can soft break and get the wing or the one in the side and run em - or I ve had times where I have smashed the cue and made 5 balls and been hooked off the first shot. LUCK.