Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 14.1 no conflict..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
14.1 no conflict..
Old
  (#1)
The Renfro
Outsville.com

The Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

14.1 no conflict.. - 09-09-2013, 12:08 AM

Run 14 balls and leave one on the table... break the balls open and continue to shoot regardless of pocketing the 15th ball... Removes the luck of getting a little less than perfect on your break ball... Just not sure if you get ball in hand behind the line if you get a bad roll on the break and scratch......

Chris

Great White PRO CHALK - "Best Chalk in the UNIVERSE"

Outsville.com

Old
  (#2)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 12:34 AM

Getting perfect on the break ball is art...

Old
  (#3)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

09-09-2013, 12:38 AM

.....'........

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Last edited by softshot; 09-09-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Old
  (#4)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

09-09-2013, 12:40 AM

Not worth it

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Last edited by softshot; 09-09-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Old
  (#5)
The Renfro
Outsville.com

The Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 01:47 AM

For the beige crayons in the box this is in response to http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...=266298&page=1

Great White PRO CHALK - "Best Chalk in the UNIVERSE"

Outsville.com

Old
  (#6)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-09-2013, 02:35 AM

Using these rules in straight pool I should be able to run my age, I still will have trouble running my IQ.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#7)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Renfro View Post
Run 14 balls and leave one on the table... break the balls open and continue to shoot regardless of pocketing the 15th ball... Removes the luck of getting a little less than perfect on your break ball... Just not sure if you get ball in hand behind the line if you get a bad roll on the break and scratch......

Chris
Could be an ok way to learn straight pool for a newcomer to the game,
I guess. For more advanced players I don't really like the idea, but then again I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to straight pool. Getting perfect on the break ball is almost the entire "heart and soul" of the game, and one of the aspects that keep me interested after many years. Without the requirement that you must get nice position on the break ball, pattern play becomes a bit less important, and to me thats one of the most interesting aspects of straight pool.

If you want to learn straight pool, and you are a good shotmaker, but not good at getting positon on the break ball, you could have the option to get ball in hand behind the headstring if your angle is bad on the breakball. That gets rid of the safing on the full rack, which many players find boring (not me though). To me it's always exciting to see who gets the first shot after the safety battle. For a player of at least moderate skill, straight pool is a game of risk management, playing within your limits and patience, as well as shotmaking and reading the rack. If you smash the rack wide open every time, many of these aspects become much less important and it all becomes a game of staying in the middle of the table and shotmaking. That would be boring to me, but I realise that not everybody likes the kind of straight pool game that I like.

Old
  (#8)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
09-09-2013, 07:29 AM

There's a great No Conflict golf course in my area,
they took a lot of the hassle and debate out of it by removing the opening drive and having
everyone just putt from the same starting position. It's actually a lot of fun!

Old
  (#9)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
There's a great No Conflict golf course in my area,
they took a lot of the hassle and debate out of it by removing the opening drive and having
everyone just putt from the same starting position. It's actually a lot of fun!
Makes the game go quicker too. Don't they call that "Miniature Golf"?

Between two equally bad players (I'm in that category) I can see getting ball in hand on the break shot. You still have to pocket the ball and hit the rack but you get to see what it's like IF you'd gotten perfect position. But it seems that not having to pocket the break ball would just encourage what I've come to call Smash Ball.

Old
  (#10)
elvicash
AzB Silver Member
elvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 87

09-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Renfro View Post

Chris
I think the shape on the break ball is a lot of what 14.1 is about. Do not think that would take off as anything more than a practice game.

Hi Runs 14.1-52 (age+3) 9B-5 8B-3
Straight Lock / Five Cents / Kingfish / Fontaine

True Racks Available Now -- www.thetruerack.com

Old
  (#11)
boogeyman
AzB Silver Member
boogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond reputeboogeyman has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvicash View Post
I think the shape on the break ball is a lot of what 14.1 is about. Do not think that would take off as anything more than a practice game.
I say NO WAY!! Great idea for practice thought.

To paraphrase a few of the above quotes: getting position on the break ball in 14.1 is the heart and soul of the game. 14 balls made and 1 left over. I don't want to see this game changed!

Old
  (#12)
LuckyStroke
Full Splic Addict
LuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
I say NO WAY!! Great idea for practice thought.

To paraphrase a few of the above quotes: getting position on the break ball in 14.1 is the heart and soul of the game. 14 balls made and 1 left over. I don't want to see this game changed!
Getting shape on the break ball starts immeadiatly after the break shot. IMO setting up for that and continuing the run after the break is the whole purpose of the game. In my high run of 32 (small I know) my biggest accomishment was shape on the break ball and then making it during the break shot, twice. IMO it's a pretty serious feat which makes this such a serious game

Jim Baxter 4p 4v BRW into BEM full splice wrap less
Jim Baxter J/B BRW and BEM with Ash shaft
Jim Baxter 60" Dufferin conversion
Star City Sneaky bacote into BEM w/ivory by Al Link
Fields custom 2x4, JB rugged 1x2

Old
  (#13)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

09-09-2013, 08:21 AM

It would no longer be 14.1 and would destroy the best part of the game. If this thread is tounge in cheek then I guess nevermind.

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Old
  (#14)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 08:30 AM

Any rule-set you use has to be tailored for a specific skill-range. If you're talking about beginner/intermediate players, I see nothing wrong with these rules. In fact, it'd probably be more enjoyable than standard 14.1. If you're talking about advanced/expert level players, no way. For professional-caliber players, it's arguable that the rules are already too one-sided. A game like this would routinely see runs in the 100s with high-runs exceeding 1,000.

Cue: Schon with OB shaft
Twitter: @JudeRosenstock

Old
  (#15)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

09-09-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightPoolIU View Post
It would no longer be 14.1 and would destroy the best part of the game. If this thread is tounge in cheek then I guess nevermind.
I agree. The whole concept behind 14.1 is "patterns that wind down to position on the break ball." Throw that away, and now there are no patterns (other than one or two balls ahead to break up clusters) and it's essentially a "free for all" shooting contest. "Just shoot at a bunch of balls in any random fashion that you like."

Heck, this would legitimize the facepalm tactic of "9-ball straight pool" (where short-rack rotation players try their hand at 14.1, only to show the cue ball going all over the place in short-rack rotation style). The idea is not to handicap the game to correspond to the player; but rather the player learn how to play the game correctly in the first place.

I disagree with those that say this may be a good practice game. It's not. Why practice "shooting a bunch of balls" if you're never going to learn how to "get" the root concept of straight pool to begin with? Just so you can "boast" some high run number?

There's more to a high straight pool run number than "just a bunch of balls shot without a miss." Those that think so, are truly completely missing the point.

-Sean <-- looked at his calendar, noticed it's not April 1st, and hopes he wasn't "had."

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: