Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The quality of Schon cues vs the quality of Joss cues
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
The quality of Schon cues vs the quality of Joss cues
Old
  (#1)
justinb386
Banned
justinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The quality of Schon cues vs the quality of Joss cues - 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM

I am sorry if this question has been asked on here many times in the past.

I am just curious if the quality of Schon cues is really any better then the quality of Joss cues.

I think that maybe the only reason that Schon cues cost more is because of the cost of the inlays that they put in their cues.

I am curious if the overall quality of Schon cues is better then Joss cues, and if the number of cues that Schon makes are more limited?

I am just mainly curious if the quality of Schon cues is really that much better then the quality of Joss cues?

I wonder if it takes longer for Schon to make a cue then the time that it takes Joss to make a cue (of around the same type, and number of inlays).

I wonder how many cues leave Schons shop per year, and how many cues leave the Joss shop per year (if that is a factor on the price difference).

Thanks for any opinions, or facts about these questions that came to my mind, and sorry if these are stupid questions.

Last edited by justinb386; 09-09-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Old
  (#2)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Yes, Schon cues are a bit better built, they feel more solid. I've played with both, although only a couple of Schons and never owned one, and they have a different hit than the Joss cues, they felt more substantial somehow.

As far as prices with inlays, both Joss and Schon have basic models with no inlays, compare the prices between those models. Schon cues are pricer at each level of cue.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#3)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 11:23 AM

I've had both...both are excellent, but Schon is a cut above. Better fit and finish and more consistent between models. Schons all hit the same, good solid hit, excellent tone, great balance. Every Joss I've had hit different...not bad, usually very good, but different from cue to cue. Probably because most Schons are cored, mostly maple, Joss cues are all over the place in materials and construction. You won't go wrong with either.

Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: Gulyassy PHX, with SPT shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
-R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Schon SL19/STL17 (retired, again )
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)

Old
  (#4)
Scherf
AzB Silver Member
Scherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 12:26 PM

Funny story, when I was in college (20 yrs or so ago) my roommate and I both had a Schon. Our other roommate bought a Joss. All I remember about that cue was that it had a terrible "ting" every time it struck the cue ball. I don't think he cared for the hit either. That was really my only experience with Joss up until about a year ago, when the roommate of mine that owned a Schon, bought a Joss. And now he loves that cue equally as well. Maybe the one 20 yrs ago was the odd ball in the bunch, but I know it just left a bad taste in my mouth......for whatever this is worth.

Old
  (#5)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 12:38 PM

Sorry enough to use the search function for a question asked over and over and over again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#6)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherf View Post
Funny story, when I was in college (20 yrs or so ago) my roommate and I both had a Schon. Our other roommate bought a Joss. All I remember about that cue was that it had a terrible "ting" every time it struck the cue ball. I don't think he cared for the hit either. That was really my only experience with Joss up until about a year ago, when the roommate of mine that owned a Schon, bought a Joss. And now he loves that cue equally as well. Maybe the one 20 yrs ago was the odd ball in the bunch, but I know it just left a bad taste in my mouth......for whatever this is worth.
That ting sound I have heard in several Joss cues, it was almost like a badge of honor if you could get it to sound that way. Back in the late 80s and early 90s all the good players played with a Joss and the noobs with McDermotts.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

All the good players?
Old
  (#7)
Donny Lutz
Ferrule Cat
Donny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond repute

Smile All the good players? - 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
That ting sound I have heard in several Joss cues, it was almost like a badge of honor if you could get it to sound that way. Back in the late 80s and early 90s all the good players played with a Joss and the noobs with McDermotts.
All the good players?

I know that lots of good players and pros used Joss cues during those decades, but in my experience it was more on the east coast, where they were also using lots of Scruggs, Phillippi, and others. One of my favorite cues is a 1987 Joss.

In the midwest during those years it was Meuccis and Vikings, and then Schons in the '90s.

Players tend to like cues made in their part of the country.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor
Regular Columnist for Pool & Billliard Magazine

Old
  (#8)
justinb386
Banned
justinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 10:03 AM

Well, I just wanted to post my own questions that came to mind, so I am sorry if this thread bothers you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushout View Post
Sorry enough to use the search function for a question asked over and over and over again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Old
  (#9)
Scherf
AzB Silver Member
Scherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond reputeScherf has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Lutz View Post
All the good players?

I know that lots of good players and pros used Joss cues during those decades, but in my experience it was more on the east coast, where they were also using lots of Scruggs, Phillippi, and others. One of my favorite cues is a 1987 Joss.

In the midwest during those years it was Meuccis and Vikings, and then Schons in the '90s.

Funny you mention those cues in the Midwest. I live and was in college in Ohio. A bunch of guys in school had Meuccis, my first cue was a Viking, then like I said I moved to a Schon.

A lot of angry haters here. Don't worry about the haters.

Old
  (#10)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 11:32 AM

I started playing pool as an obsession in about 1987...I had a McDermott D-9. You had two types of bangers in my area (first Georgia, then Louisiana): McDermott men and Meucci men...Ne'er the 'tween would meet. The road players all had Schons, vintage Adams, the occassional Szam. Some heavyweight players had Meuccis, too, and you'd see an occassional Scruggs or Joss West. Some heavy players in East Texas had Richard Black cues. It was a regional thing with custom cues, depended on where you were. I "graduated" to Joss after three McDermotts, had two then moved up to a custom (GEM) and finally a Schon. Now I'm a Carolina Custom guy for the time being. But tournaments in Georgia and Lousiana in the 80s were all McDermotts, Meuccis and the occassional Viking...at least among the pedestrian players.

Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: Gulyassy PHX, with SPT shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
-R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Schon SL19/STL17 (retired, again )
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)

Old
  (#11)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member

09-10-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Lutz View Post
All the good players?

Yes, you're right, I live in the Boston area, and that whole pool scene was Joss once you got to a C+ or B level hehe. The first "name" custom I have seen and learned about was Scruggs. There were some Meuccis around and they were admired because so many of the pros used them, along with Joss.

The pool room I was at always had catalogs of cues and I would spend a lot of time looking over them, I kept lusting after the Schon cues in my teens/early 20s, and also Tim Scruggs as that was the cue that one of the first A players I met played with. Funny thing is that once I could afford either of those, I never really went after getting them

Old
  (#12)
mosconiac
Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
mosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 624

09-10-2013, 12:30 PM

I've played with both since 1994-1995. The Joss had that "ting" I guess you would call it. More "vibrational feedback" others would call it. It was a higher deflection cue than the Schon. The Schon was more solid with correspondingly less vibration. I wouldn't say either of mine were better or worse built, but mine were on the lower end.

Primary Cue: Barry Szamboti (Pic1/Pic2)
Break Cue: Predator BK2
Case: Jack Justis (Pic)
Table: Kim Steel 9' (Pic)
Hannah: She Chalks Before Every Shot (Pic/Vid1/Vid2)

The quality of Schon cues vs the quality of Joss cues
Old
  (#13)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

The quality of Schon cues vs the quality of Joss cues - 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM

I've played with the same Schon for 22 years now. The only cues I've ever thought that outperformed it were either unaffordable at the time,or just unavailable. In other words,I wouldn't still be playing with it if I felt an available cue were head and shoulders better.

Up until I got it,I believed the most desirable cue on the planet was a Joss model 12,basically the same cue Mike Sigel played with in the mid to late 80's.

The cues Joss made back then were just BETTER than their current offerings.

I'm not dogging them at all,just the stuff they made back in the day hits and feels better to ME. Still a damn fine product,just not for me,at least without ivory ferrules.

Many people hear that healthy "ping" and think it's something negative,the cue is broken,etc. It's usually NOT.

The current Schons are just a step or 2 above a current Joss as far as playability. Resale value pushes Schon over the top. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Old
  (#14)
scottjen26
AzB Silver Member
scottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 01:54 PM

I would put Schon a cut above Joss, but a solid hitting Joss will feel very similar to a Schon.

I grew up playing in Milwaukee and was friends with Bob Runde's son in college, that was my first experience hitting with a Schon. I currently own two and have had them pretty much ever since, have also owned and sold several others. My playing partner, who was second in the state at the time, had a Joss and I could hit with his cue and it felt very similar to mine. It was a very simple model, so maybe less chance for inlays or other decorations to cause any sort of noise or negative feedback. I hit with a few others over the years, nothing negative even stood out to me.

I've probably hit with 25+ Schons, they are all very consistent, although there are subtle differences between them, mostly just due to the weight differences and the overall impact on the balance. Also differences between the Runde-era cues and the current cues, but again they are both very high quality, some people may prefer one over the other. You can't go wrong with an older or newer Schon, I just don't have enough experience with a larger sample size of Joss cues to be able to say one way or the other.
Scott

Old
  (#15)
jwe711
The Great Cue Masters...!
jwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond reputejwe711 has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 03:47 PM

I got 2 Schicks, and a Mottey, that all have a MIGHTY "PING" everytime they touch the cue ball...

And, Man, can they play...

I like my Schon's and my Joss's, to be OLD...and I mean 25+ years old...they have a similar "PING"...!!!

To me the wood they had back then hit soooooo much better than the woods they have today...

I may be wrong about the wood...but I think most any of the older cues...have a stiffer hit...depending on the taper used by the builders...

(Just my 2 cents)

Hit Lock

"I'm playin good, like I knew I would!"
U.J. Puckett

I Love Scrugg's, Schick's, Lambros, and TAD's...

Last edited by jwe711; 09-10-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: