Fishing and Billiards.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Ok, we all read the threads re what is wrong with pool.

This past weekend, a wall Eye Tourney was held on a Lake, (Last Mountain Lake) approx a 45 minute drive from my city.

Professional anglers from all over Canada and the USA.

My friend, who is and his entire family are avid anglers are out camping at one of the parks where the derby originated the weekend before.

The anglers are already there a week ahead of time to get their hot spots marked and practice.

My friend is chatting with one of the anglers from the USA, sponsored in part by Berkley.

His boat is worth 75 K. His electronics are worth approx 100 K. Some of these guys have covered boat trailers pulled by semis.

He travels the fishing circuit. All his expenses are paid for. If he is in the top 20%, his wages are $250 K. If he makes it into the top 5%, his bonus doubles his wages.

Now, you know how fishermen like to embellish a tad on the fish stories but providing that this guy was telling the truth, its pretty amazing that Pro Anglers can get this type of sponsorship and we are lagging a bit in the billiard industry.

A lot of money in fishing equipment, boats, rods, reels lures and line.

Not trying to post a stupid thread and maybe the comparison between the two are way off base as far as sports are concerned, but just wondering as to why Pro Billiards can't seem to get a bit of the action re a decent cash flow.

Its most likely more difficult to get yourself some good sponsorship in fishing re numbers of anglers as opposed to Pro Players.

For every one of these guys, there are probably what ever number of struggling anglers out there as well, just as in the Billiard industry.

We have our top pros and the rest seem to struggle as well. I'm almost shocked and yet not at the numbers thrown out there.

Probably for the most part, just wanted to relate a little story to the members here.

I have a decent fishing boat, good electronics from my finder to trolling motor, yet most days couldn't land a fish if my life depended on it.

Apparently I need fishing lessons more than I need pool lessons.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea why fishing is a major sport, most of the time you use a radar to find the fish and then you feed them something. You may as well make getting kids to buy ice cream from a truck a sport.

They should make a combination fishing/baseball tournament and you can fit in 4-5 other activities in the downtime while you wait for something to happen. Doing your taxes, maybe a haircut.

StonedCEO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knew a total stoner/slacker in high school/early 20's...kid was the definition of going no place in life. Moved away, went home a couple years ago for a friends 40'th birthday party and run into this guy at a bar. Catching up, curious what he did with his life, turns out he became a professional bass fisherman. Was still trying to wrap my head around that one while he was driving away in a S500 Benz.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Blue Hog ridr,
Fishing is every bit as challenging as playing pool in my opinion.

Looking at what I spend on fishing versus what I spend on playing pool is like day and night. Fishing is far more expensive for me than playing pool.

With pool, you can get set up fairly inexpensively and you can hang with the big boys at just about any national or international tournament.

With fishing, if you set your self up (equipment wise) similarly to what you do in pool, you will probably break the bank.

After you are into it a while, the fishing tools get more and more expensive and it seems that you never have all of the tackle you really want or need. The latest versions of GPS which cost as much as a pool cue, don't last as long as a pool cue and certainly don't hold their value and have to be replaced if periodically. Fishing rods come and go and even if you maintain expensive reels, they die a natural death or you have to make necessary repairs.

I think the bottom line is fishing takes in a whole lot more money than does the pool industry.

We don't want to talk about boats and their cost for purchase or maintenance (BOAT= BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND).

The truth is when I am fishing, I enjoy it more than I do playing pool.

Pool is just easier, more accessible, less expensive and every now and then an old guy like me can find some money laying on the floor. (I've never done that fishing, not even once and I fish better than I play pool) not bragging, just telling it like it is.

Hell, I think I'm going to challenge Shane Van Boening to some speckle trout fishing. I know he can fish but he might even get a spot on my water. (Putuporshutup and Capt Kingfish can't get no spot.) (Me no compete with professional fishermen)

JoeyA

Banks

Banned
Knew a total stoner/slacker in high school/early 20's...kid was the definition of going no place in life. Moved away, went home a couple years ago for a friends 40'th birthday party and run into this guy at a bar. Catching up, curious what he did with his life, turns out he became a professional bass fisherman. Was still trying to wrap my head around that one while he was driving away in a S500 Benz.

Yeah, but that's just it. Rapala and all of the other companies are vying for attention in a sport/recreation where people spend ten thousand just to step foot in the waters. It's been a while, but iirc, this book was a pretty good read..

bassfishin.jpg

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I have no idea why fishing is a major sport, most of the time you use a radar to find the fish and then you feed them something. You may as well make getting kids to buy ice cream from a truck a sport.

They should make a combination fishing/baseball tournament and you can fit in 4-5 other activities in the downtime while you wait for something to happen. Doing your taxes, maybe a haircut.

you must not fish very much or are only fishing stocked ponds with hatchery fish.......because fishing is a very real skill set...it depends on the territory, the weather, the type of fish, lure, the way you can work the lure......and as for radar LMFAO. Thats not even taking into account in knowing how to cast on a dime not just with a fly rod but bait cast as well.

Spoken like a novice

by the way joey we should get together and wet the line sometime. I prefer fresh water because, well i catch too many fish as it is offshore lol.

Last edited:

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
No sponsorship money

BHR,

Pool doesn't have boats, motors, batteries, GPS, trolling motors, rods, reels, sunglasses, clothing, baits and so on to sell.

All we have are cues, balls, tables, cueing accessories and t-shirts.

I walk into a pool hall and pull a cue off the wall and play all day. If I go to the lake they don't have a boat there for me to use and fish all day. If they did, I would still spend $200 on rigging, bait and licenses.

Get rid of house cues and put a pro shop in every pool hall. :eek:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
There's a bar/grill named Sportsman's on the San Juan river in NM that has two 7' tables. I used to pack an old sneaky when I went flyfishing, and after I turned 55, I tried to hit the Old Fart's Tourney on Thursday afternoons. Had lots of fun, terrorized 'em sometimes, lol. The group started dieing off and getting Alzheimers and the bar sold and all you could do on the tables anymore is get in a lot of trouble. I think what's amazing about pro fishing, is it gives lots of hope to the average Joe that thinks he can make really good money doing what he loves. I think fishing is the #1 recreational activity, is it not? Pool's in there somewhere, and I just gotta believe that there's an angle that hasn't been played yet to get the sponsorship it needs. I still like the idea of American Hustler as a reality show...it could work.

dimonsterb

Registered
Well Well

Ok, we all read the threads re what is wrong with pool.

This past weekend, a wall Eye Tourney was held on a Lake, (Last Mountain Lake) approx a 45 minute drive from my city.

Professional anglers from all over Canada and the USA.

My friend, who is and his entire family are avid anglers are out camping at one of the parks where the derby originated the weekend before.

The anglers are already there a week ahead of time to get their hot spots marked and practice.

My friend is chatting with one of the anglers from the USA, sponsored in part by Berkley.

His boat is worth 75 K. His electronics are worth approx 100 K. Some of these guys have covered boat trailers pulled by semis.

He travels the fishing circuit. All his expenses are paid for. If he is in the top 20%, his wages are $250 K. If he makes it into the top 5%, his bonus doubles his wages.

Now, you know how fishermen like to embellish a tad on the fish stories but providing that this guy was telling the truth, its pretty amazing that Pro Anglers can get this type of sponsorship and we are lagging a bit in the billiard industry.

A lot of money in fishing equipment, boats, rods, reels lures and line.

Not trying to post a stupid thread and maybe the comparison between the two are way off base as far as sports are concerned, but just wondering as to why Pro Billiards can't seem to get a bit of the action re a decent cash flow.

Its most likely more difficult to get yourself some good sponsorship in fishing re numbers of anglers as opposed to Pro Players.

For every one of these guys, there are probably what ever number of struggling anglers out there as well, just as in the Billiard industry.

We have our top pros and the rest seem to struggle as well. I'm almost shocked and yet not at the numbers thrown out there.

Probably for the most part, just wanted to relate a little story to the members here.

I have a decent fishing boat, good electronics from my finder to trolling motor, yet most days couldn't land a fish if my life depended on it.

Apparently I need fishing lessons more than I need pool lessons.

I fish in a lot of semi-pro leagues and I make a good bit of money doing it!! But it takes a lot more than your electronics and feeding them something(we have to use artificial baits) if you think that electronics will find you all the bass you need to win go out and buy a boat you're going to be the next millionaire;) ... But really on the wall-eye tour it doesn't pay that much so I have no idea what the hell he was talking about!!! Bass tournaments pay the most and nothing like what that guys is spouting off about!! I love fishing and I love to play pool, But for some reason my wife only likes it when I'm fishing because I make more money and she worries about girls at the bar... Both are challenging but at least with pool you have A LOT more control over the out come! Some days I catch them good and others I blank and that goes for pro's to....Well that's my two cents

dimonsterb

Registered
so true

BHR,

Pool doesn't have boats, motors, batteries, GPS, trolling motors, rods, reels, sunglasses, clothing, baits and so on to sell.

All we have are cues, balls, tables, cueing accessories and t-shirts.

I walk into a pool hall and pull a cue off the wall and play all day. If I go to the lake they don't have a boat there for me to use and fish all day. If they did, I would still spend $200 on rigging, bait and licenses.

Get rid of house cues and put a pro shop in every pool hall. :eek:

I do think you might be on to something... But the people taking a date out would turn into an expensive date(better be getting to home plate:grin:)

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Why not combine the two? :)

Attachments

• productimage-picture-fish-playing-pool-print-9_jpg_430x419_q85.jpg
    productimage-picture-fish-playing-pool-print-9_jpg_430x419_q85.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,898

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
The fishing i do isn't just sitting there.

I have to find the fish, put my boat 150m up current, work out the drift and estimate how to get my jig to the fish. It's very hard to master.

Then the type of fishing is sometimes equivalent to a gym work out.

It takes mental toughness when you get a cramp believe me.

http://youtu.be/UMhN0lxOcX0

http://youtu.be/Y_yB_yu9yxM

chadsens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Terry... seeing as the pool hall is closing.... maybe we should sell our equipment and take up fishing.... wonder if they have buckets at the marina? Get your butt to nicks on saturday for one last night of pool and beers... wonder if I can get Jose to ban me before they close for good haha.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Chad, I take my own buckets with me.

I will be there for the Last 9 Ball tourney and probably make an effort to close the Hall out that night.

Yes guys, we are losing another Pool Hall. This time in Regina Saskatchewan.

For us, it is the last one in a long line of Halls to close their doors in our little city. Chad lives there as well.

If you ever run into Chad at a tourney, don't let that smile and his bucket of beer under his arm fool you.

Sheila and I took Jose out on the boat with us one day. We figured that there was a small chance that he might start treating everyone like a human being for a change.

Now that the hall is closing, it was almost a wasted effort. We had a good day anyway.
Jose is a totally different person away from work. Not a half bad guy.

I agree with the fellow AZ members who also fish. It takes much more effort and knowledge than just dropping a line over the side. Very frustrating at times.

Fish finders also lie a great deal. They are used more for finding the proper depths, ledges etc. Mark the hot spots with the GPS and you can find them much easier next time.

The little pictures of the fishies swimming thru the sonar don't do you a lot of good but fun to look at. Most of the fish I catch sneak up on me and aren't even on the screen when they hit.

I have an underwater camera too. Fun to play with but doesn't make you catch fish either.

I realize that there is a ton more equipment and potential sales involved with fishing over the Billiard Industry.

I guess I am just lamenting the fact when I see the money poured into one and there seems to be not much anything else one can do, short of praying to get some money flowing into the billiards end of it.

If I had the answers, then Mark G would probably hire me. I love my pool in the winter league season as I love fishing in the summer. Just torn between the two.

And as Chad mentioned, we are losing our only hall in one more week so that was maybe part of why I started the thread. Not even enuff money to keep our hall open.

The building is owned by the hall operator and for the most part will be expanded to make his wife's furniture store larger.

There is talk about the owner leasing a small portion of the building out to hold 2 snooker tables and 6, nine footers and it will be paid for with membership dues but I'm not holding my breath on it until I see it happen. An idea like that is great but also has the potential to turn into a lot of in fighting and a cluster FK as well.

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Fishing is very easy

What it takes to be consistent and successful fishing.
Put aside the boat, tackle, fuel, electronics, lures, rods, reels, foul weather gear, hypothermic clothing, light clothing, bags, boots, lights, knives, hooks by the hundreds, tying materials, vice, change line every week on 10 or 20 reels . I can continue with 100 more items.
For ocean fishing you have to study the weather, what weather is coming and what weather has just passed (wind is a huge factor) the moon phase, water temperature, structure (find a rock pile, sandbar, wreck, in 500 sq miles or more where fish may be sitting on to ambush prey) Barometric pressure rising and falling, heavy barometer drop, slow drop..Bottomed out and rising. The type of bait in the area and where the above mentioned will push the bait. If you are lucky enough to guess right you may catch a fish.....with luck it will be the winning fish. You have to be a scientist.
I laugh when people say fishing is easy, sit and stare at a worm. I will take anyone and give them the key to my boat and say, take me to the fish if it's such a hanger.
I have 100K in rods, reels, lures and misc tackle.
Last year my winnings were 165 K
This year is not over and the best tourneys are coming as we speak. I have passed last years winnings as of present.
I am sure much is the same for the freshwater guys.
I still love pool

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Wow, just changing out line once a week. I know there must be a reason for doing this, maybe just for saltwater fishing. If this wasn't a pool forum I would be pressing you for more info.

Feel free to PM me if you want to pass on any valuable info my way.

Like I mentioned, just owning the proper equipment is a start. I'm on the water but still feel for the most part that I am just floating around.

There is a ton of great UTube info available but it just isn't the type of instructional material that will put fish on the end of your line.

PM this stuff if you don't mind. As in, where did you get your start etc. I want your fishing life story right from the start. Hahaha.

Last edited:

row21097

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get the fishing pool analogy.fishermen trying to outsmart a bunch of pea brained, cold blooded anphibians..................... oh wait.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the major thing is there's probably 200 times more equip/accessories sales for fishing than pool

Needing weight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am an avid pool player and fishermen. I am also a Realtor here in FL. It Is said that FL is the golfing capital of the world. There are more golf courses per capita in FL than anywhere else in the world.

Get this, the fishing industry's retail sales dwarf the golfing industry's retail sales in Florida.

I personally do not consider pool or fishing a sport. I consider both of them to be hobbies or activities.

The hobby of fishing requires many more consumables then does the hobby of playing pool.

Unfortunately Pool's money could never mirror the fishing industries money