Reload this Page America Must Train Its Young Players
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
America Must Train Its Young Players
Old
  (#1)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

America Must Train Its Young Players - 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM

" This is the mission of the roomkeeper, and the boys [and girls] he encourages will not alone increase interest in billiards, but in most instances will become his regular patrons. "

There is soooo much truth in this statement when you think about it.
How many of you remember (fondly or not) the 'first' pool room you ever went to.

Wouldnt it be nice to have adults that talk about your room 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years from now, as the place that they first learned to play...

Name:  1923 May Train American Youth.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  95.7 KB

shameless promo for other thread:
Ever wonder where the term "shortstop" came from, as it relates to pool players?
Find out here

Ditto
Old
  (#2)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Ditto - 09-17-2013, 12:26 AM

Mr. Bond,
I agree and recently witnessed something I think is very disturbing. A local room owner who has 14 tables doesn't care on iota about developing his pool market. Everytime I talk to him about it....he lawds how much better a customer his drinkers are ...and there are only a few regulars.

Doing my math, I see that a pool patron on 2 to 3 times a week is worth around $1500 a year to him and more with beer and food. Easy math is $100 a month per player. I think I would want to spend a little money and have myself about 30 or so but this guy seems to not want to develop his pool room or his drinkers because he it too tight.

What is it with people? We are all like....this room is going to close if someone doesn't wake up but.....nothing changes...very sad.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $5.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#3)
Bella Don't Cry
AzB Silver Member
Bella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 03:53 AM

It all starts and end with a youth policy for international billiards, not just America.
There lies the keys to success

Old
  (#4)
Ron Swanson
Banned
Ron Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 04:20 AM

Pool needs more bitter, aging white men, who listen to blues/classic rock, moan about Obama and reminisce about the good ole days.

Thankfully, AZB provides the perfect platform.

Old
  (#5)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 05:00 AM

Word up.....

"If ya knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it." Danny DiLiberto.

Old
  (#6)
Joe T
Joe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond reputeJoe T has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3000

09-17-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bond View Post
" This is the mission of the roomkeeper, and the boys [and girls] he encourages will not alone increase interest in billiards, but in most instances will become his regular patrons. "

There is soooo much truth in this statement when you think about it.
How many of you remember (fondly or not) the 'first' pool room you ever went to.

Wouldnt it be nice to have adults that talk about your room 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years from now, as the place that they first learned to play...

Attachment 294656

shameless promo for other thread:
Ever wonder where the term "shortstop" came from, as it relates to pool players?
Find out here
I'm on it boss

Joe T
New Video School now up & it's free!
http://www.joetucker.net
1999 "10 Ball is a coming, slowly but surely!"
Racking Secrets II with Breaking Secrets now available

Old
  (#7)
bigshooter
<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
bigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Pool tables take up lots of real estate and generates little money in return. He would be better off in a business sense to get rid of all the pool tables and fill that space with seating for drinkers. Sorry for the reality, I don't like it either.

Old
  (#8)
crile1
AzB Bronze Member
crile1 is on a distinguished road

09-17-2013, 11:13 AM

I think the problem is that the youth now a days don't want to play pool. They would rather play video games or something else. Lets face facts there is no money in pool. The top pros in America barely make a living. I've been playing for close to 40 years, not for the money, but for the love of the game. I have four children and tried to teach them, but they would rather play video games. I think one solution might be if we taught it in schools. Like they do in other countries. It teaches you physics and geometry among other things. Just something to think about for the powers that be.

Old
  (#9)
Paul Schofield
AzB Gold Member
Paul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 12:06 PM

I have read many, many threads on here addressing the topic of "youth and pocket billiards". (IMO) I have not read one post that hits the mark. There are obstacles that are never mentioned anywhere on this forum. I am pressed for time. I am going to try to get back to this topic next week.

If I don't, no big deal. What do I know? Nothing really happens here anyway.

Shoot what you break.

Larry Hubbart was 87.5% right.

Old
  (#10)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Pool tables take up lots of real estate and generates little money in return. He would be better off in a business sense to get rid of all the pool tables and fill that space with seating for drinkers. Sorry for the reality, I don't like it either.
I understand what you mean, but there is a proper business model for practically every idea under the sun, it just has to be done right. If an owner must rely on alcohol sales to stay open, then yes, there is no reason to have pool tables, and no reason to invite kids.

Although the context of creating new patrons is mentioned in the article, the issue of introducing kids to pool has less to do with selling alcohol, or keeping bars open, and more to do with the future of the pool industry, the future of professional pool, the public perception of the games, and the popularity of public pool in general. In other words, introducing kids benefits far more people than just pool room operators and bar owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crile1 View Post
I think the problem is that the youth now a days don't want to play pool. They would rather play video games or something else. Lets face facts there is no money in pool. The top pros in America barely make a living. I've been playing for close to 40 years, not for the money, but for the love of the game. I have four children and tried to teach them, but they would rather play video games. I think one solution might be if we taught it in schools. Like they do in other countries. It teaches you physics and geometry among other things. Just something to think about for the powers that be.
I agree, yes they do love their video games, no question there. However, keep in mind that new football, basketball, baseball, softball, hockey, soccer, golf, and bowling patrons and players are coming from somewhere. And only a very small percentage of the people playing any one game/sport ever make 'a living' at it.

Like any other game or sport ( and even video games) there is merit in simply accomplishing a high level of skill and proficiency, because it takes focus, work, practice and dedication. Sometimes its not about getting rich and/or famous, but deciding to climb a mountain and actually reaching the top.

Old
  (#11)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit

09-17-2013, 12:58 PM

I know, sometimes I'm ridiculously optimistic.

Old
  (#12)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

09-17-2013, 01:05 PM

We have a local guy who is contacting all of the local YMCA's and trying to get pool classes started at each of them.

Maybe you can try this in your locale.

JoeyA

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a piglet—a lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#13)
bigshooter
<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
bigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Our local YMCA has a few decent tables and I do see kids playing pool.
I've had thoughts of doing some group lessons for the kids but I've not done it yet.

Old
  (#14)
Dunnn51
Wait for something good
Dunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 07:02 PM

When i studied for my Degree I was happy to see they had a table in the rec hall. The students there really took some interest once they realized there was "A method to the madness" of playing instead of hoping for one to line-up and shoot. Pool appealed to their Intellect.
I walked out, imagining one day some Liberal Arts major puttin' the smack-down on a Math or Physics major.

" If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 6 sharpening my axe" ~~~ Abraham Lincoln

The memories of a man in his old-age, are the deeds of a man in his prime. ~~~ Pink Floyd.

Old
  (#15)
bdiesel
AzB Silver Member
bdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond reputebdiesel has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 09:29 PM

I am a pretty hard core gamer myself, although I have been playing pool about 3-4 nights a week and gaming occasionally.

I have to switch it up once in a while, and im starting to enjoy pool more and more and less on the video games.

There is a good balance in my life with billiards and video games

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: