getting jerked around?

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
The last couple of months, I have been getting pretty seriously jerked around by a forum member (not the one this thread is about), my job, a doctor, etc., and I'm starting to get a little tired of it all. Anyway, I have a question for the group about a transaction I am in the middle of that may have taken a turn it shouldn't have. This will sound a little off-the-wall, but please bear with me. The last thing I want to do is to undeservedly malign someone on an open forum, so there will be no names or revealing details here.

Did any of you who have put deposits down on something (I won't say what, that would give away the identity), receive a PM or e-mail last week saying something along the lines of:

Your item is in the final stage of completion. I am getting married this weekend and would like to get your item shipped out, so if you could send the balance (plus postage), I will get it shipped before the weekend.​

I received such a PM. So, I dutifully sent off my paypal payment (which, I hope, means that I am covered if things go south), and then heard no more from the person.

Before you jump on me, I realize that getting married is a big deal, and I wouldn't have been too agitated if this person had followed up with me saying that he had misjudged the time required to get this taken care of, and that it would have to wait till he was back from his honeymoon. But he didn't. And all I got was silence when I requested a status.

Anyone else? You can PM me if you like. I'm just trying to discover if there was intent to deceive several of us, with the thinking that we wouldn't, individually, suspect anything beyond our own situation.

- s.west

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
It is only logical that should somebody state that there is a situation which could result in a delay, but extra attention would be applied to their order should payment be made in full, that they may be spending additional time completing such orders and not checking their e-mail. Be a little bit patient, as you could either risk coming off as a difficult person to deal with or you'll still have the problem that you fear could happen. Either way, the end result probably won't change after a couple of days. Or it may be because you're an alien.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:scratchhead:

Just a thought...when people get married, they usually have advanced notice of the wedding date. Sounds like the marriage just popped up unexpectantly.

I don't know why he'd rush to get your cue out or finished 'cause of this---unless he is going out of the country for a 2 month honeymoon.
:wink:

I would feel better if I knew the cue was done with no defects and ready to be shipped before payment is made.

To make a payment through Paypal does not take long to complete unless the seller is new to the Paypal system and can't withdrawl the money right away.

Always pay with a credit card through paypal so you are protected with a chargeback through the credit card.

Last edited:

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
I am in no hurry, whatsoever, for the item. Moreover, I am quite confident that it will be received in due time.

The only reason for starting this thread, was to see if anyone else in the group that's waiting for completion had been told the same story by this person.

And, yes, as you can see by my avatar... I am an alien.

:scratchhead:

Just a thought...when people get married, they usually have advanced notice of the wedding date. Sounds like the marriage just popped up unexpectantly.

I don't know why he'd rush to get your cue out or finished 'cause of this---unless he is going out of the country for a 2 month honeymoon.
:wink:

I would feel better if I knew the cue was done with no defects and ready to be shipped before payment is made.

To make a payment through Paypal does not take long to complete unless the seller is new to the Paypal system and can't withdrawl the money right away.

Always pay with a credit card through paypal so you are protected with a chargeback through the credit card.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Nothing would amaze the membership here any longer.

Not trying to be a dick but your thread is a tad vague. Your description can fit any number of stories posted lately. Altho Myself/we can appreciate you not outing a cue maker if you're not 100% sure you are getting your tail pulled, its not all that cool starting a thread either until you are fairly certain.

It doesn't do anyone else any good as far as a fair warning goes if we don't know what the details are and it doesn't do the builders rep any good if it is a false alarm either.

Not saying that you don't have genuine concerns or that the old gut instinct isn't working either.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing would amaze the membership here any longer.

Not trying to be a dick but your thread is a tad vague. Your description can fit any number of stories posted lately. Altho Myself/we can appreciate you not outing a cue maker if you're not 100% sure you are getting your tail pulled, its not all that cool starting a thread either until you are fairly certain.

It doesn't do anyone else any good as far as a fair warning goes if we don't know what the details are and it doesn't do the builders rep any good if it is a false alarm either.

Not saying that you don't have genuine concerns or that the old gut instinct isn't working either.

I think he may have thought that the "I am getting married so send me money now" line smelt a bit of a scam or a move to get the rest of the cash without having the "product" ready and wanted to see if this was something that was sent out to a few people.

A bit like those "help me, I'm stuck in Mexico and lost my credit cards!" emails, if ONE person gets it, it may be valid (not likely but who knows), if 200 get it, eh...

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Yeah, yer right, altho the getting married this weekend is definitely a new one.

A Plus for creativity if it is a scam.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
Yes, I'm being vague, but that's because, if there is something untoward going on that is affecting a larger group than just me, the other members of that group (the membership of which I am ignorant) will immediately recognize what I am talking about and will, hopefully, contact me.

In other words, if my original post doesn't make any sense to you, then you can just ignore the entire thread. I'm casting my net for a small few that may be involved, just in case there is something funny going on.

But to reiterate, I am operating under the assumption that nothing funny is going on. I've just had enough troubles recently that I'm a little wary, that's all.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
If

he didn't do what he said he would do, I would be wary also. I never trust someone whose actions don't match their words.

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I'm being vague, but that's because, if there is something untoward going on that is affecting a larger group than just me, the other members of that group (the membership of which I am ignorant) will immediately recognize what I am talking about and will, hopefully, contact me.

In other words, if my original post doesn't make any sense to you, then you can just ignore the entire thread. I'm casting my net for a small few that may be involved, just in case there is something funny going on.

But to reiterate, I am operating under the assumption that nothing funny is going on. I've just had enough troubles recently that I'm a little wary, that's all.

I know exactly who you are talking about since I got the same exact excuse, word for word. I too sent him the balance since he had indicated a real desire to wrap up the work and get it shipped by last Wednesday, prior to the honeymoon. I was planning on giving him a little more time before trying to reach him. Your post does give me reason to wonder though.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
I know exactly who you are talking about since I got the same exact excuse, word for word. I too sent him the balance since he had indicated a real desire to wrap up the work and get it shipped by last Wednesday, prior to the honeymoon. I was planning on giving him a little more time before trying to reach him. Your post does give me reason to wonder though.

Thanks, so much for posting. I've sent you a PM.

Anyone else out there?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Not familiar with whoever this is, but whether or not I decide to do something about it depends on a lot of things.

1. Has this person got a good rep? Did they send similar items to people in the past without a problem?
Have they had problems, but EVENTUALLY got the item to everyone who ordered?
If either of those is true I'd just bide my time.

2. Asking for money before shipping is neither good nor bad IMO. In theory, if the price is fair,
the money and the item have equal value. So sending either one before the other is an act of faith.
Arguably the cash is more valuable because you can use cash for anything,
and you can't use a cue (or pool device) for anything except pool. But I don't find it fishy for them to ask
for payment up front though (lots of businesses do this).
I also figure weddings are quite expensive so maybe they are feeling the pinch right now and would
love a little extra cash so they don't have to eat mcdonald's on their honeymoon.

3. A delay because of the wedding is not fishy either. Sure they should know about the wedding way in advance.
But it could be they thought they'd have wrapped all of this up before the wedding, then they found it
that with rehearsals and hiring caterers and whatever that they didn't have ANY free time before the big day.
And after the big day, they though things would revert to normal in a short time but in reality
they still aren't getting the free time they thought.

So, how long has it been since the PM? If it's this past weekend they are officially 6 days late.
In cuemaker time, that's nothing. 2 years late is the standard lol.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
It's not about being late. And it's not that I wasn't perfectly willing to pay in full before shipment.

It's about failing to do what you said you were going to do, and then not communicating about that failure.

And, given the fact that at least one other person was told the same story - "Please pay in full now, and I'll ship before the weekend, because I'm getting married..." - and likewise didn't receive any followup communication, it just sounds like a strategy to generate some quick cash.

I will repeat, again, that I expect that I will receive my merchandise, and Walkermine will receive his, but I have a problem with what the seller did to us last week, and I'm still looking for others who may have been told the same story.

- s.west

Not familiar with whoever this is, but whether or not I decide to do something about it depends on a lot of things.

1. Has this person got a good rep? Did they send similar items to people in the past without a problem?
Have they had problems, but EVENTUALLY got the item to everyone who ordered?
If either of those is true I'd just bide my time.

2. Asking for money before shipping is neither good nor bad IMO. In theory, if the price is fair,
the money and the item have equal value. So sending either one before the other is an act of faith.
Arguably the cash is more valuable because you can use cash for anything,
and you can't use a cue (or pool device) for anything except pool. But I don't find it fishy for them to ask
for payment up front though (lots of businesses do this).
I also figure weddings are quite expensive so maybe they are feeling the pinch right now and would
love a little extra cash so they don't have to eat mcdonald's on their honeymoon.

3. A delay because of the wedding is not fishy either. Sure they should know about the wedding way in advance.
But it could be they thought they'd have wrapped all of this up before the wedding, then they found it
that with rehearsals and hiring caterers and whatever that they didn't have ANY free time before the big day.
And after the big day, they though things would revert to normal in a short time but in reality
they still aren't getting the free time they thought.

So, how long has it been since the PM? If it's this past weekend they are officially 6 days late.
In cuemaker time, that's nothing. 2 years late is the standard lol.

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some reason I didn't get your PM. I have send you one. Thanks for this thread. I understand fully what you are trying to do.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
For some reason I didn't get your PM. I have send you one. Thanks for this thread. I understand fully what you are trying to do.

I just received your PM, and responded... I don't know why you didn't get the first one, but it doesn't show up in my 'sent' folder, so I must have done something wrong.