Pool.bz hacked :(
Old
  (#1)
stljohnny
knowledge > execution. :(
stljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

Pool.bz hacked :( - 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM

I was all set to do some shot diagrams and then I was confronted with some asshat's "owned by [hackerAlias]" front page.

If anyone knows how to get in touch with the site owner and let them know, that'd be awesome.

[Edited]

It appears only the front page is suspect - if you have a direct link to a certain page it seems to be working ok. So, it's not a terribly malicious hack, but still a d*** move.

Player: Custom Treadway!!!
Breaker: BK2 + OBBreak + Samsara

Twitter: StlJohnnyPool

Pool student since August 2009.

Last edited by stljohnny; 09-17-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Old
  (#2)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Again? This happened previously.

Old
  (#3)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

09-17-2013, 02:34 PM

I clicked on the hacker's link, and it took me to their FB page. It looks like every day they go about attacking random sites, and putting the link to the attacked site on their FB page.

Old
  (#4)
stljohnny
stljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 02:35 PM

I don't know when the last one happened, maybe this is the same time? I don't hit the site too often so when I visited it earlier and saw this, I was surprised.

Old
  (#5)
stljohnny

09-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I clicked on the hacker's link, .
Man, you are BRAVE! lol

Old
  (#6)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2013, 03:06 PM

No, the last (and first time as far as I know) was 2 years ago or so. This is a new attack.

Old
  (#7)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

09-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljohnny View Post
Man, you are BRAVE! lol
lol, yeah. Well they had the link.... I wanted to see what they were about. lol

Old
  (#8)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

09-17-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I clicked on the hacker's link, and it took me to their FB page. It looks like every day they go about attacking random sites, and putting the link to the attacked site on their FB page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stljohnny View Post
Man, you are BRAVE! lol
Quote:
lol, yeah. Well they had the link.... I wanted to see what they were about. lol
Not usually a good move, for as the saying goes, curiosity killed the cat. Most of the time, when a link is provided on a hacked site, it utilizes (leverages, exploits) what's called a "zero day" attack. Meaning, it exploits a vulnerability in the web browser (or Java) which is brand-new, and for which a fix is not yet available.

A better way to see where a link on a site goes (and where a link in an email points to, if you're reading an email that you're not sure of, and might be a phishing attack), is to HOVER your mouse pointer over the link -- DON'T click on the link -- rather, just hover your mouse pointer over it without clicking. While hovering your mouse pointer over the link, read the bottom status bar of your browser (usually the bottom left corner) -- it will show you the underlying URL that you'll actually be taken to if you'd have clicked the link.

Actually clicking on a link is like looking down into the muzzle of an unknown gun, and then pulling the trigger "to see if a bullet comes out." You only get to do that once with a malicious site.

-Sean <-- just some advice from your friendly neighborhood info security guy

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Old
  (#9)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

09-18-2013, 07:18 AM

Good advice from Sean.

The other very important thing to remember is that website addresses are actually "read" by the computer backward. So an innocent looking URL can take you anywhere if you're not diligent.

http://forums.azbilliards.com.ru/Players/ShannelleLoraineNaked

Seems like a good link with an "interesting" article but the .ru is the first part read by the computer. That means you're going to a site registered in Russia. The parts before that are just sub-domains which are just pointers to other computers within the "com.ru" domain.

Spybot Search & Destroy's immunization filter will keep you safe from most of these sites.

"Pool and sex are the only two things you can enjoy without being good at either one."

It doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's whether or not you beat the spread.

Old
  (#10)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
09-19-2013, 11:36 AM

This happened before and due to all the complaints, he decided to stop allowing his diagrams to be directly embedded in AZbilliards posts, because AZ has tons of registered users and apparently every one of them complained to Wei (owner of pool.bz) and I guess he felt he didn't want to be held responsible for stuff like that.

I'm gonna be a foolish guinea pig and try going straight to the diagram subpage, pool.bz/P/ and I'll report back if anything bad happens to me. Or not, depending on how bad it is lol.

Old
  (#11)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
09-19-2013, 11:46 AM

the owner doesn t care about this website since a long time. no wonder that this happened.

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"Advanced PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: