Temporary Garage to pool room conversion -Flooring Advcie

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Turing garage into cheap version of a temperature controlled pool room. I will only be living in the house for another 3 years or so, so not doing anything permanent. Portable AC with small hole in wall, inferred heater. ANy better suggestions (I am in Chicago).

I need advice for proper flooring. I hate playing on concrete. Nothing permanent. Cork? Rubber? Carpet remnants with light padding?

What do you guys think?
What else may I be forgetting?
Thanks in advance

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Carpet remnant with padding, since its only temporary....when done, toss it in the trash.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Those click together pads for garages. You can just take them with you when you leave. Home Depot has them.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
One problem will be the coldness of the concrete floor during the winter months in Chicago (not a problem in our 3 non-winter months :grin-square:) Almost no amount of heating will combat cold concrete.

The best solution is a subfloor product called Dri-Core. It's a honeycomb plastic (floor side) and oriented strand board on top. You can install any flooring on top of it, but I recommend carpet with a decent padding (carpeting and padding installed directly on a garage floor will get mold and mildew in short order).

It might be more than you want to invest if you're only going to be there 3 years, but not so much since it's only a 20' x 20' space. East to install if you're handy.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been thinking the same thing. I was going to give up my side of the garage. Trouble is my wife is keeping her side. When it snows the garage floor gets mucho wet. I was going to build a temporary floor on my side. I'm not staying either so I'm not doing anything permanent. I was just planning on a cheap table I can buy off of Craigslist but this weeks blast of cold made me reconsider. I just want to bang balls around. Especially when the my queen and my kids are driving me crazy. Even in the winter the garage usually stays 50-57 but it can get lower. In the summer it is usually cooler than outside.

Thoughts?

Bob

newby

Registered
Since you are only planning on staying for a short time I would suggest carpet tiles. Simple to install can easily be removed and can be very inexpensive. Sometimes a local retailer may have used carpet tiles for sale

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those click together pads for garages. You can just take them with you when you leave. Home Depot has them.

Great Idea, good insulator on top of being easy on the feet. Check harbor freight, normal price cheaper, and they run coupons and sales pretty regularly.

newby

Registered
how much wold i have to worry if it got wet.

One the advantages of carpet tile is the ease of replacing and reinstalling. If you use a release adhesive you will leave an adhesive layer on the concrete floor. Scraping with a razor scraper would likely remove all or most of it. There are also tac strips( Interface has them) which are easy to use, no visual signs left on the subfloor, and are not expensive. If you do get any carpet tiles wet simple remove and hang them out to dry, or replace, and reinstall. If dirty water is involved. wash with a mild solution, dry, problem fixed. You should have no problem finding local dealers to help you out. A thought is, what I have offered to our customers are odd lots of 3-4 colors from different jobs for cheap. Might give the room a little life. Good luck

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can go to any carpet store and ask for random scraps. My friend and I found a large 18' square piece and it was free.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/util-a-mat-commercial-grade-reversible-floor-mats-24-x-24-8-tiles/107930.ip?origin=search_page.rr1&campaign=rr&sn=SolrSearchToView&

Sams club has these rubber 2x2 8pack for 22.00. I used them in my garage around the table. Black side up, They work great, are nice to walk on even in sock feet they are not cold, and have held up 2 years so far with no problem.
You could run a bead of silicon along the side where your wifes car is to keep water out from under them. I don ton think it would hurt if water went under them but to be safe I would seal the edge.
One more thing if you go this route, lay all of them at the same time.
I did one area and walked on it for a few weeks, when I decided to buy more it did not lock togethr as well as when it was all new. I think walking on them they expanded a little from use and then the new ones were slightly off. I did make it work but if I replace them it would be all at one time.
Mark