How to promote a tournament.....

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I could list all of the things that I think a promoter should do but first I will defer you to Str8-shots.com and click on the Nick Varner Classic EVENTS. Yes, that's right TWO EVENTS, one for the pro players and one for the amateur players. Lee Brett is a pro as far as what constitutes a pro player if that tells you anything.

But the beauty is in the details that they provide. Entry fee and the green fee SPELLED OUT as clear as you could ever do. They tell the format, what rules are being used, precisely where the event will take place, when and what time. They even make sure that you know that the event will start right after the Calcutta finished on Friday night. They spell out everything, even what rules will be in effect. Some people wanted to know what the payouts would be for a full field. Str8-shots came through loud and clear on Facebook for everyone to see. Their Amateur event pays deep at 32 places with a full field of 128 players. BTW, if you haven't already signed up for this weekend event, you had better get hopping. I'm sure with $8,000 of added money for that single amateur WEEKEND EVENT, it's going to fill up fast.

I like the fact they even went so far as to specify exactly how much of your entry fee goes into the pot.

STR8-SHOTS is truly defining how to promote a pool tournament.

NOW, IF ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO CLAIM THEY LOVE POOL, (including the professional players) would just "SHARE" the "flyers" on their Facebook page..............................
----------------------------------

Ok, that's all about STR8-shots. YOu can see the rest on Facebook or their website.

----------------------------------------------

If you are going to promote a pool tournament here are a few NO-NOS:
• Don't remove money from the Calcutta unless you advertise that in advance. (It's a bad idea to try that because the state police might just shut you down for that as that's called "taking a cut" and even in corrupt old Louisiana, that's a no-no.

• If you're going to pay a tournament director, tell the players in advance how he gets paid and how much, ESPECIALLY if it comes out of the Calcutta or Entry fees. If it's coming out of your pocket, it's nobody's business but yours and his.

And here are few YES-YES, DO IT ITEMS:

• If you're going to have a green fee, specify if it comes out of the entry fee and what that amount equals.

• If you're going to have ANY other kind of fee, ESPECIALLY those money-makers like Tour Fees, SPELL IT OUT in detail. Some tournament directors don't charge a TOUR FEE for military people and senior citizens. SPELL IT OUT, it can only enhance your tournament.

• This is a biggee. Tell the players how many places will be paid with a full field and how much each of those places will earn.

• Here's another that is hardly ever adhered to: If you're going to have a Calcutta or Player's Auction, tell the players, how many places you are going to pay and what percentages will be paid to each of those places IN ADVANCE. There is no sense in making people angry by omitting this information. Tournament directors should provide this information way in advance, preferably on the flyers or on their website. If you only pay a small number of places in the Calcutta, YOU SHOULD ANNOUNCE THIS, LOUD & CLEAR JUST BEFORE THE CALCUTTA STARTS, as well as having it in print when you are promoting the tournament. [/COLOR][/B]

• Tell the players what equipment will be used like: table brand & size, what kind of cue ball will be used, what kind of rack will be used, etc.

• Tell the players what rules will be used and any exceptions. That way there will be less problems when the tournament comes around.

• If you have some hotels giving special discounts for the players (and you should) ANNOUNCE THIS like you are celebrating bringing in the New Year.

• If you're going to have food available, for heaven's sake, tell the players, so they don't load up their ice chests, even though some players have special diet needs. Put bananas on your menu. They will provide a good profit margin, easy and clean up is a next to nothing.

• If you're going to have a private shuttle move the players back and forth from the hotels to the tournament site, shout it from the rooftops and provide some telephone number for the shuttle driver.

• If you're not going to allow cancellations, spell it out in your tournament information advertisement. It's only right, smart and good business. Saving places for players is a STUPID THING TO DO. Make all players pay in advance and set a time when you will no longer take entry fees.

• If you're going to limit the number of players, state it bold and clearly. I would also add that if you will allow the cancellations to be filled by an overflow crowd or if those spots will become "byes".

That's about all I've got off the top of my head.

• Do all of this way in advance.

Last edited:

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I would pay attention to what White Diamonds does. Its hard to argue with the success they have every tournament.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could list all of the things that I think a promoter should do but first I will defer you to Str9-shots.com and click on the Nick Varner Classic EVENTS. Yes, that's right TWO EVENTS, one for the pro players and one for the amateur players. Lee Brett is a pro as far as what constitutes a pro player if that tells you anything.

But the beauty is in the details that they provide. Entry fee and the green fee SPELLED OUT as clear as you could ever do. They tell the format, what rules are being used, precisely where the event will take place, when and what time. They even make sure that you know that the event will start right after the Calcutta finished on Friday night. They spell out everything, even what rules will be in effect. Some people wanted to know what the payouts would be for a full field. Str8-shots came through loud and clear on Facebook for everyone to see. Their Amateur event pays deep at 32 places with a full field of 128 players. BTW, if you haven't already signed up for this weekend event, you had better get hopping. I'm sure with $8,000 of added money for that single amateur WEEKEND EVENT, it's going to fill up fast.

I like the fact they even went so far as to specify exactly how much of your entry fee goes into the pot.

STR8-SHOTS is truly defining how to promote a pool tournament.

NOW, IF ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO CLAIM THEY LOVE POOL, (including the professional players) would just "SHARE" the "flyers" on their Facebook page..............................
----------------------------------

Ok, that's all about STR8-shots. YOu can see the rest on Facebook or their website.

----------------------------------------------

If you are going to promote a pool tournament here are a few NO-NOS:
• Don't remove money from the Calcutta unless you advertise that in advance. (It's a bad idea to try that because the state police might just shut you down for that as that's called "taking a cut" and even in corrupt old Louisiana, that's a no-no.

• If you're going to pay a tournament director, tell the players in advance how he gets paid and how much, ESPECIALLY if it comes out of the Calcutta or Entry fees. If it's coming out of your pocket, it's nobody's business but yours and his.

And here are few YES-YES, DO IT ITEMS:

• If you're going to have a green fee, specify if it comes out of the entry fee and what that amount equals.

• If you're going to have ANY other kind of fee, ESPECIALLY those money-makers like Tour Fees, SPELL IT OUT in detail. Some tournament directors don't charge a TOUR FEE for military people and senior citizens. SPELL IT OUT, it can only enhance your tournament.

• This is a biggee. Tell the players how many places will be paid with a full field and how much each of those places will earn.

• Here's another that is hardly ever adhered to: If you're going to have a Calcutta or Player's Auction, tell the players, how many places you are going to pay and what percentages will be paid to each of those places IN ADVANCE. There is no sense in making people angry by omitting this information. Tournament directors should provide this information way in advance, preferably on the flyers or on their website. If you only pay a small number of places in the Calcutta, YOU SHOULD ANNOUNCE THIS, LOUD & CLEAR JUST BEFORE THE CALCUTTA STARTS, as well as having it in print when you are promoting the tournament. [/COLOR][/B]

• Tell the players what equipment will be used like: table brand & size, what kind of cue ball will be used, what kind of rack will be used, etc.

• Tell the players what rules will be used and any exceptions. That way there will be less problems when the tournament comes around.

• If you have some hotels giving special discounts for the players (and you should) ANNOUNCE THIS like you are celebrating bringing in the New Year.

• If you're going to have food available, for heaven's sake, tell the players, so they don't load up their ice chests, even though some players have special diet needs. Put bananas on your menu. They will provide a good profit margin, easy and clean up is a next to nothing.

• If you're going to have a private shuttle move the players back and forth from the hotels to the tournament site, shout it from the rooftops and provide some telephone number for the shuttle driver.

• If you're not going to allow cancellations, spell it out in your tournament information advertisement. It's only right, smart and good business. Saving places for players is a STUPID THING TO DO. Make all players pay in advance and set a time when you will no longer take entry fees.

• If you're going to limit the number of players, state it bold and clearly. I would also add that if you will allow the cancellations to be filled by an overflow crowd or if those spots will become "byes".

That's about all I've got off the top of my head.

• Do all of this way in advance.
Now just get out and find a venue and sponsors and you are half way there.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I would pay attention to what White Diamonds does. Its hard to argue with the success they have every tournament.

Often there is no rhyme or reason except that maybe the calcutta is a reason to have the tournament. If not, 112 players would leave broke.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

White Diamonds is successful because they have carefully grown their tournament and even more importantly, "cultivated and protected their BIG TIME Calcutta buyers. My hat is off to WD for sure.

JoeyA