ESPN - Have we ever tried this idea?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Yes, it's another useless thread about getting pool on ESPN :grin-square:

But let's try this idea on for size:

Offer to make a "highlight reel" for ESPN. They're not going to air an entire match, so let's summarize the Finals match for their viewers.

The advantage is that highlight reels can be fast-paced and exciting...even when the subject (an entire pool match, entire baseball game, entire NASCAR race, etc) is quite boring. Each "clip" is only 5-20 seconds so you can string them together in a way that truly tells the story of the Finals match without having to watch the entire thing.

Intersperse the short clips with longer segments (3-4 minutes) that show a Break&Run, or such. Spend some extra time (instant replay, etc) when a player does something really extraordinary. Lots of options!

You'd need to have a video version with lots of table sound (think of football highlights when they close-up on the line of scrimmage and you hear every grunt and groan) and no commentary. You add the commentary to the ESPN version later because otherwise you can't edit the clips without cutting off a commentator in mid-sentence.

We can offer ESPN complete flexibility: we make a 30-minute version; then edit that down to a 20-minute version; then edit that one down to a 10-minute version...and so on. ESPN can use whichever version suits its needs at the time.

Please feel free to add to this idea.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
They would most likely want a 22-23 minute version so they can cut in commercials for a half hour program. I like the idea but how are you going to get all the rights without paying for them?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
They would most likely want a 22-23 minute version so they can cut in commercials for a half hour program. I like the idea but how are you going to get all the rights without paying for them?

I'm not proposing that I do this :grin: (I'm an idea-guy...not a worker)

Whoever does it makes financial/legal arrangements with Accu-stats, TAR, etc. Maybe get sponsorship from Diamond in exchange for making sure Diamond tables are mentioned once or twice in the commentary.

It would be great to have a roving camera in addition to fixed cameras. Any good highlight reel has close-ups of the player's faces for smiles, grimaces, concentrations, etc.

Yes, there are additional costs but the idea is not cost-prohibitive.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why espn? I know it's the biggest, but we not set "our" sights a little lower at first? FSN, or nbc sports, etc. a slightly smaller sports network would be easier to get onto at first.

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Why espn? I know it's the biggest, but we not set "our" sights a little lower at first? FSN, or nbc sports, etc. a slightly smaller sports network would be easier to get onto at first.

Because you won't get viewership and those statistics will look terrible when you try to jump ship to a larger company, such as ESPN.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

No particular reason; I guess I use "ESPN" kind of generically. It should be pitched to any/all sports stations.

It will probably have a small viewership, but it won't cost the station anything, and it probably has other shows with even smaller ratings.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Yes, it's another useless thread about getting pool on ESPN :grin-square:

But let's try this idea on for size:

Offer to make a "highlight reel" for ESPN. They're not going to air an entire match, so let's summarize the Finals match for their viewers.

The advantage is that highlight reels can be fast-paced and exciting...even when the subject (an entire pool match, entire baseball game, entire NASCAR race, etc) is quite boring. Each "clip" is only 5-20 seconds so you can string them together in a way that truly tells the story of the Finals match without having to watch the entire thing.

Intersperse the short clips with longer segments (3-4 minutes) that show a Break&Run, or such. Spend some extra time (instant replay, etc) when a player does something really extraordinary. Lots of options!

You'd need to have a video version with lots of table sound (think of football highlights when they close-up on the line of scrimmage and you hear every grunt and groan) and no commentary. You add the commentary to the ESPN version later because otherwise you can't edit the clips without cutting off a commentator in mid-sentence.

We can offer ESPN complete flexibility: we make a 30-minute version; then edit that down to a 20-minute version; then edit that one down to a 10-minute version...and so on. ESPN can use whichever version suits its needs at the time.

Please feel free to add to this idea.

It doesn't have to be ESPN, it could be Fox Sports, NBC, CBS, ABC. ESPN is #1 in sports, wouldn't hurt to start a little lower down the chain. Of course we don't hear too much about trying to get pool on the other channels lately.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
I think it's a great idea.

And you could still sell the full length video of the entire match to hard core fans on-line or on DVD.

Fatz