Help with Pool Experiment

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
I would appreciate some assistance with this post, it was originally posted in 2014 and the response was very helpful as part of the experiment. I would ask that if you have viewed this before that you not respond, I'm looking for a fresh perspective as part of this experiment. Thank you.
As for the rest of you...I'll be interested in your observations and opinions.
Thanks for participating

Original post 1/17/2014

I would like to test a theory with the help of my fellow AZers.
My theory is based on the premise that ranking a player as an A,B or C is at the very best subjective depending on where your own playing level is and just as importantly how you "perceive" your own playing level to be.
I would also submit that depending on where in the country or in the world that you play weighs in to your "regional ranking" system. Is an A player in Chicago the same as an A player in the South or vice versa?
Thirdly the question is whether you can accurately judge a players level simply by watching a brief sample of them playing or in this case practicing?
I'll be very curious to hear what each of you think. Please watch the video below and post on this thread the level of player you think you are watching. Please try to stick to straight whole letter grades for the sake of this exercise.
Thanks in advance for your assistance in this experiment.

http://youtu.be/uuDZmITYovg

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I would like to test a theory with the help of my fellow AZers. My theory is based on the premise that ranking a player as an A,B or C is at the very best subjective depending on where your own playing level is and just as importantly how you "perceive" your own playing level to be.
I would also submit that depending on where in the country or in the world that you play weighs in to your "regional ranking" system. Is an A player in Chicago the same as an A player in the South or vice versa?
Thirdly the question is whether you can accurately judge a players level simply by watching a brief sample of them playing or in this case practicing?
I'll be very curious to hear what each of you think. Please watch the video below and post on this thread the level of player you think you are watching. Please try to stick to straight whole letter grades for the sake of this exercise.

C.

However, he looks like he's just messing around. He's got moments in there where he shows more skill, and perhaps if he had an opponent and buckled down he'd be playing at B level. But I wouldn't call a player who fails that many simple run-outs on what seems like easy equipment anything above a C.

And it is completely subjective, and it does vary from place to place.

-Andrew

Banks

Banned
I watched about a third of it. From what I saw..

Regional D-C player, approx. a good APA 4 or a mid 5.

He's got some experience breaking, knows a few different things, but has problems hitting the ball too hard and shot-making is all over the place - makes some nice shots, dogs some easy shots.

pdiddy

Registered
I don't know how low we go to grade. I would say D. I live in MA. Shoot at Snookers in Providence.

Paul D.

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would say a C player...he missed some easy shots...his speed isnt real good ...he ends up on the wrong side of balls for shape....he banks balls when he can cut them
maybe not even a good C player....APA 4 or 5...imho

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Would be a C player here. He has a decent stroke and I thought could be a B at first glance, but there are too many mistakes in both shotmaking and position.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to test a theory with the help of my fellow AZers. My theory is based on the premise that ranking a player as an A,B or C is at the very best subjective depending on where your own playing level is and just as importantly how you "perceive" your own playing level to be.

You cannot judge a player from one setting or when banging balls, you have to track a player over four or five tournaments or money matches

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sorry, what I saw was a "D" player who needs to see an instructor and get lessons starting at the beginning...stance, PSR, stroke, and aiming. The player was shooting too fast and too hard. If he is happy to play like that, he will be amazed how good he will get with a few hours with a good instructor. I only watched 7 games. I couldn't watch anymore. Johnnyt

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
You cannot judge a player from one setting or when banging balls, you have to track a player over four or five tournaments or money matches

If he was on the lemon and is something like a "B" player I will get pissed off at wasting my time watching. Johnnyt

obsespool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I keep thinking this must be a trick question??? Maybe he's actually an A trying to hustle up a game? : )

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got dried of watching after about 10 minutes and skipped to lat couple of minutes.
I would consider him a D. Compared to the APA players near me a good 3 or low 4.
Needs help with basics and needs to really slow down.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the idea of using the APA ratings as it allows you to dial in the ranking a bit more.

C player ... APA 4. I think APA 5's around here are noticeably better.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no way on the planet this guy is a D player. I'd bet my house on it. He knows way too many shots that a D player can't even comprehend.

That's just after watching the first rack. He went 4 rails with the CB (and scratched), he had a couple decent shots with inside where he got fair position.

I'll have to watch more to give my opinion but a D player simply does not even "know" those shots, let alone can execute them.

ilyk2win

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no way on the planet this guy is a D player. I'd bet my house on it. He knows way too many shots that a D player can't even comprehend.

That's just after watching the first rack. He went 4 rails with the CB (and scratched), he had a couple decent shots with inside where he got fair position.

I'll have to watch more to give my opinion but a D player simply does not even "know" those shots, let alone can execute them.

I'd agree. He looks like a guy who is practicing different shots without much commitment to running racks, whether it be intentionally (hustling) or just to practice the tougher shots vs the natural shot.

Based on hand positioning, stroke and some of the shots he was taking, at least a C player IMO, possibly B, but no way is he a D. Again hard to tell from the results of the video and naturally, seeing him in a match would give a much better idea.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member

A, B, C rankings are subjective and generally are based on a who beats who basis in any local area.

The skill level of each rating tends to be higher in areas that have a high density of pool players, but there is generally some overlap so that A players from one area wont completely out class A players from another area.

I can't watch your video on my phone, but it seems like everyone else in the thread has the guy pegged as a C, so I'll go with that.