Whats this Mike Sigel IPT "best-ever" crap
Old
  (#1)
Oranzith
AzB Bronze Member
Oranzith is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Whats this Mike Sigel IPT "best-ever" crap - 07-02-2006, 10:42 PM

Very frustrating to watch the IPT 8-ball king of the hill on TV and have him, without fail, call himself the best ever 2 or 3 times per episode - when in reality there are several that march in front of him.

And the fact that everyone in the boat buys into it. sigh. long live mike sigel as the best ever in the publics eye

Old
  (#2)
ironman
AzB Silver Member
ironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranzith
Very frustrating to watch the IPT 8-ball king of the hill on TV and have him, without fail, call himself the best ever 2 or 3 times per episode - when in reality there are several that march in front of him.

And the fact that everyone in the boat buys into it. sigh. long live mike sigel as the best ever in the publics eye
Who marches in front of him?

Old
  (#3)
dacue
AzB Silver Member
dacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond reputedacue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

07-03-2006, 12:37 AM

I agree who? Mr. Sigel in his prime was the best pool player ever to screw a cue together!
dacue

Old
  (#4)
Jimmy M.
Insomniac
Jimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8950

07-03-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:

It's all part of his character. He's supposed to be "the bad guy" that everyone loves to hate. Apparently he's playing his character pretty well.

Old
  (#5)
Hal
Beer Player
Hal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1900

07-03-2006, 02:30 AM

I'm sure KT has asked him to talk a little smack. After all he is King of the Hill until someone de-throwns him.

Old
  (#6)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

07-03-2006, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
I'm sure KT has asked him to talk a little smack. After all he is King of the Hill until someone de-throwns him.
I agree that Mike Sigel is hamming it up for the cameras to promote the competitive spirit.

I'm long in the tooth compared to most who post on AzBilliards, and I've gotta say that Mike Sigel was top banana on the American pool tournament trail. If you were to review the pool media from the '70s to the '90s, Mike Sigel is on the cover of most of them.

Though Earl Strickland, Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, and Buddy Hall were right up there with Mike Sigel during this time span, you can't take it away from him that, competing in tournaments, Mike Sigel was very dominating. He seemed to excel in a tournament setting.

Of course, as Gabe Owen says, that was then and this is now! It will be interesting to see how well Mike Sigel does perform in Vegas this month. It is important to remember that Mike Sigel did retire from playing pool professionally. Thanks to the IPT, he has come out of retirement and is playing again.

In days gone by, it was a very American tournament trail, not much going on internationally. Today, it is a very international tournament trail, now that the Filipinos, of course, and the Germans have entered the fray.

We are all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool, but dag nab it, on this 4th of July holiday, I'd like to see an American player rise to the top. Can it be Johnny Archer, Dennis Hatch, or a relatively unknown American player? Who knows, but I'll be staying tuned. Win or lose, the trip is going to be very fun, and the players, for the first time in the history of the "sport," will be playing real pool, with real rules, and REAL MONEY.

JAM

Old
  (#7)
PROG8R
Gator Nation
PROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM
I agree that Mike Sigel is hamming it up for the cameras to promote the competitive spirit.

I'm long in the tooth compared to most who post on AzBilliards, and I've gotta say that Mike Sigel was top banana on the American pool tournament trail. If you were to review the pool media from the '70s to the '90s, Mike Sigel is on the cover of most of them.

Though Earl Strickland, Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, and Buddy Hall were right up there with Mike Sigel during this time span, you can't take it away from him that, competing in tournaments, Mike Sigel was very dominating. He seemed to excel in a tournament setting.

Of course, as Gabe Owen says, that was then and this is now! It will be interesting to see how well Mike Sigel does perform in Vegas this month. It is important to remember that Mike Sigel did retire from playing pool professionally. Thanks to the IPT, he has come out of retirement and is playing again.

In days gone by, it was a very American tournament trail, not much going on internationally. Today, it is a very international tournament trail, now that the Filipinos, of course, and the Germans have entered the fray.

We are all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool, but dag nab it, on this 4th of July holiday, I'd like to see an American player rise to the top. Can it be Johnny Archer, Dennis Hatch, or a relatively unknown American player? Who knows, but I'll be staying tuned. Win or lose, the trip is going to be very fun, and the players, for the first time in the history of the "sport," will be playing real pool, with real rules, and REAL MONEY.

JAM
These were some of the best for sure, Strickland probably has the most tourney wins and top 5's of that list, but when Mike was in his prime, they could not match him or his accomplishments. I think the problem is that when he was a pool god, most people that are competitors now were either not born yet, or they were just comming out of diapers. I think that in this era; Efren is the closest thing to the type of dominance that Mike used to have. And in 25 to 30 years when there is a whole truck load of new pros they will see Efren playing and they might react the same as people are now towards Mike (exept that Mike is a bit Mouthy (HENCE THE NICKNAME)).

Mr. HE15MAN.
GATORNATION

"Giving freakishly competitive Tebow extra motivational fuel is like giving John Daly the keys to a Krispy Kreme bakery and a bottle of scotch. Very bad idea." Pat Forde ESPN analyst.

Old
  (#8)
PoolSleuth
Banned
PoolSleuth is a splendid one to beholdPoolSleuth is a splendid one to beholdPoolSleuth is a splendid one to beholdPoolSleuth is a splendid one to beholdPoolSleuth is a splendid one to beholdPoolSleuth is a splendid one to beholdPoolSleuth is a splendid one to behold

07-03-2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
Its called HYPE, and HYPE sell Stuff, like the Words New, Improved, Bigger, Longer, or BEST ETC...

Old
  (#9)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROG8R
These were some of the best for sure, Strickland probably has the most tourney wins and top 5's of that list, but when Mike was in his prime, they could not match him or his accomplishments.
I agree, at least as it pertains to the accomplishments on the American tournament trail. There was no international tournament trail to speak of, IMHO.

Quote:
I think the problem is that when he was a pool god, most people that are competitors now were either not born yet, or they were just comming out of diapers. I think that in this era; Efren is the closest thing to the type of dominance that Mike used to have. And in 25 to 30 years when there is a whole truck load of new pros they will see Efren playing and they might react the same as people are now towards Mike...
Again, I agree. It's a time warp and sometimes a regional thingie. It's like reading some of the "Who's the Best" threads. Many of the responders state the BEST is someone from their neck of the woods, a young up-and-coming player, for example, when sometimes they have not been exposed to other newbie champions, for lack of a better term.

Pool faves are cyclical in nature, and they come in waves. I have no idea how good Wimpy played. I have never seen him -- [I don't think] -- in my life. However, if you were to ask someone who had seen Wimpy play when Wimpy was hitting 'em, they could fill your ear with a lot of niceties.

And then there's the equipment change. With the advent of pool's state-of-the-art technology, to include jump cues, break cues, Simonis cloth, Aramith balls, and the pristine tables, the playing field has changed somewhat, IMHO. It is difficult to compare Willie Mosconi's caliber of play, which occurred in his era on different equipment, to a young whipper-snapper of today who's playing on fast cloth, jumping balls like a mule, and breaking with sticks called "Sledgehammers." [I like Sledgehammers, and I'm not knocking them.]

Personally, some of the BEST pool I have ever experienced, up front and close, is action games. It's amazing how some of these action game players pull a shot out of their bag of tricks and execute it successfully in the heat of the battle. Tournaments can be pressure pits as well, but action games sometimes allow one to really witness the heart of a genuine champion.

Gone are the days of action players, though. Today, players are becoming tournament soldiers, hoping they will be able to showcase their skill sets in an environment which is commensurate with their God-given talent and dedication to pool.

Some champions can't hack the lifestyle and leave. This pool is a rich man's high, and without mentioning the infamous three-letter acronym, I hope it's going to change for the better. If it happens, we may all be entering the final frontier where pool will be regarded, at least here in the United States of America, as a legitimate sport.

JAM

Old
  (#10)
JAM
On the Hill

07-03-2006, 04:57 AM

Quote:
...the same as people are now towards Mike (exept that Mike is a bit Mouthy (HENCE THE NICKNAME)).
If anybody has ever had the opportunity to speak with Mike Sigel, he is kind of mouthy. I think he's actually quite intelligent, an his mind seems to be racing 100 miles an hour at all times. You can almost hear him thinking.

Somebody told me of a happening many years ago when Mike Sigel, Larry Lisciotti, and Jimmy Reid were in the same room, all three speaking to each other simultaneously in the same conversation; in unison, if you will, for an extended period of time. I wish I had a videotape of that!

JAM

Old
  (#11)
Southpaw
Swing away, Meril....
Southpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 862

07-03-2006, 05:02 AM

Lets not forget that Sigel did win 4 or 5 U.S Open 9 ball events as well as numerous straight pool events. I mean, the guy was one of the best in the world at one time, and still is no slouch! He has always had a big ego and pointing out his own abilities has always been his style. And, he was the shot choriographer for the movie "The Color of Money" just as Mosconni was for "The Hustler" .

Southpaw

Old
  (#12)
PROG8R
Gator Nation
PROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond reputePROG8R has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM
If anybody has ever had the opportunity to speak with Mike Sigel, he is kind of mouthy. I think he's actually quite intelligent, an his mind seems to be racing 100 miles an hour at all times. You can almost hear him thinking.

Somebody told me of a happening many years ago when Mike Sigel, Larry Lisciotti, and Jimmy Reid were in the same room, all three speaking to each other simultaneously in the same conversation; in unison, if you will, for an extended period of time. I wish I had a videotape of that!

JAM
I think that would have caused that CARSICK feeling in my gut!! I believe I might burn that tape if I had it. LOL but I can believe it. I have talked to Mike many times and I can tell you he puts a high price on his name.

Mr. HE15MAN.
GATORNATION

"Giving freakishly competitive Tebow extra motivational fuel is like giving John Daly the keys to a Krispy Kreme bakery and a bottle of scotch. Very bad idea." Pat Forde ESPN analyst.

Old
  (#13)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-03-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
...And the fact that everyone in the boat buys into it. sigh. long live mike sigel as the best ever in the publics eye
I don't know what boat you've been in.

Old
  (#14)
Voodoo Daddy
One Pocket 101
Voodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 9475

07-03-2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM

JAM

If there were plants in that room. they woulda died from lack of oxygen !! I have a good friend that told me Larry once said "take me to the super bowl and before the start of the fourth quarter I'll have spoken to EVERYONE" ...lol

Old
  (#15)
ironman
AzB Silver Member
ironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 06:15 AM

Granted, it may make you sick at your stomach, but, it is working.
The man has been accused of a lot things over the years, but, being dumb, ain't one of them. Mike, Ms. Lee, and Earl have promoted themselves pretty well.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: