Arizona Juniors Update....

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jeff, give me a call tommorow. I'm already done for the night. I went to Pockets to play in a handicapped tournament and it was stated 7 and under. I've yet to play in a handicapped tourny, but anyway I went and banged some balls around and paid my entry fee then they told me I couldn't play. Because I played like a strong 8 or 9. OOOOH OK. I said how can you gauge my game? I've only been hitting balls around. He said I need to go somewhere else. So whatever. I figure I'll play in Main Street's Monday night tourny. It's 7 and under too so I guess I'll dump right? Wrong. I show up and this guy asks me if I'm here for the Junior nationals. So I said yeah. Then he said. Oh well you can't play in it. WHAT???? I asked why and he said they aren't letting any junior national players play in it that are in the 19 and unders. Whatever. I wanted to linger around and catch a game but I figured I better just call it a night. So whatever happens happens. I'm going to register tommorow. Bright and early. For a pool player at least. 1100 am. Well Jeff I hope to see you there. I'm going to play in the Open tourny tommorow at main street. So I guess I'll donate to the pot there. Well Keeping you guys updated for the most part. I haven't seen Jeff's post about the tourny but when he starts one then I'll end mine.....;) Sound fair Jeff? Alright. For the rest of you you better wish me good luck or I'll make sure I go two and out just to make all of you feel bad.....:D lol. j/k

I like to gamble so I'll take a gamble and say my pick for the 14 and unders is Jeff Berger. And my pick for the 19 and unders is Tony Cano. Hmmm. I'll only bet v bucks though. :D And I'll be willing to bet that the girl that wins the 14 and unders can spot me a ball. And the girl that wins the 19 and unders can spot me 2 balls and the break ;) I just came to have fun. I've yet to meet jeff but maybe tommorow. Wed. at the latest. alright....I'll try my best to keep you updated until Jeff puts up his Arizona Junior nationals post.

Tony

WINTHEDAY14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am leaving the house at 4:30 am to go to o"hare flight leaves at 7:30 so ill be there around 11:00 see ya there

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TannerPruess said:
Thanks for the update!

Why aren't you here Tanner. I can almost for sure say you play better than me but what is it that kept you? I would have sure liked to have seen you hit some balls around. You would have for sure had a good laugh after watching me play. :p So I think we would have both enjoyed it. Well I'm sure I'll butt heads with you one day. :cool:

Tony

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
juniorchamp_ktm said:
I am leaving the house at 4:30 am to go to o"hare flight leaves at 7:30 so ill be there around 11:00 see ya there

Alright buddy, maybe you can play in this open tourny they have at mainstreet with me. I'll think of it as a warm up for the big one. If not that's cool I'll see you at registration or at the tournament.

Tony

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
PoolSharkAllen said:
Have you tried using the telephone book? Or perhaps dexonline.com? :)
Or maybe he could simply ask someone that just left there....oh, nevermind that is what he did.

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
get used to the unwanted pool player scene in AZ :(

The entire valley pool scence is: he is here to rob us, kick him out

Everywhere you go, that will be the way it is. Everybody assumes any new face is a road player and plays too good...

Phoenix Pool is a joke. hardly anybody is willing to just put it all out there and get beat. if you look like you can play, you are not allowed to play... What the hell is that?

I think the GPRC (rating system) started all the trouble you are having. It created an entire breed of players who are afraid to play somebody that may beat them. It has become an accepted plague.. Those who can't play latch on to it like a life raft on the Titanic...

powderburner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to Arizona! Unless you get rated by someone certified to rate people you can't get the little rateing card, which means you get listed with 10,000 others in their coumputer system. The rateing procedure consists of playing the certifing guy a few games and he comes up with the number. The worst thing about the system is all the 7 and lower tournaments. Uhm, and wait till someone insists on your rating before they will play you a $10 set.

Clicks on 2' nd street (maybe Avenue ?) up towards the mall also had open tournaments, check one of those newspaper things everybody has.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
I went to Pockets to play in a handicapped tournament and it was stated 7 and under. I've yet to play in a handicapped tourny, but anyway I went and banged some balls around and paid my entry fee then they told me I couldn't play. Because I played like a strong 8 or 9. OOOOH OK. I said how can you gauge my game? I've only been hitting balls around. He said I need to go somewhere else. So whatever. I figure I'll play in Main Street's Monday night tourny. It's 7 and under too so I guess I'll dump right?
Tony

The problem with rating systems is that you have people like Tony who will cheat (dump) so they can get a rating that is lower then their actual skill level.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
powderburner said:
Welcome to Arizona!

Clicks on 2' nd street (maybe Avenue ?) up towards the mall also had open tournaments, check one of those newspaper things everybody has.

It is on First ave.Mainstreet billiards is on Broadway.Pockets is on wilmot.grab a billiard news paper and it will give evry detail u want.
pool halls in Tucson suck big time.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolSharkAllen said:
The problem with rating systems is that you have people like Tony who will cheat (dump) so they can get a rating that is lower then their actual skill level.

They have better rating system than any state I know.Every player is BRANDED with a rating number

TannerPruess

PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
Why aren't you here Tanner. I can almost for sure say you play better than me but what is it that kept you? I would have sure liked to have seen you hit some balls around. You would have for sure had a good laugh after watching me play. :p So I think we would have both enjoyed it. Well I'm sure I'll butt heads with you one day. :cool:

Tony
It is too far away and I don't have any qualifiers around SD. :( :(

powderburner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolSharkAllen said:

I don't see enough money in the regular tournaments to make it worth while to dump. Maybe if you play regular and want in the lower rated tournaments. Don't think Tony fits in that catagory.

It does happen of course, probably not as much as in the leagues as you can get bumped up pretty easily if you are obviously sandbagging.

powderburner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vagabond, I'd have to look at a map to be sure of the street. If they closed the map store just south of Clicks I'd have a hard time getting in Clicks driveway as they are not right on the street.

By the way, avoid the middle table of the three front Gold Crowns. It is triple shimed and plays funny when you hit the shims. Maybe things have changed by now but I got burned on that table and I usually like tight pockets.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
powderburner said:
I don't see enough money in the regular tournaments to make it worth while to dump. Maybe if you play regular and want in the lower rated tournaments. Don't think Tony fits in that catagory.

It does happen of course, probably not as much as in the leagues as you can get bumped up pretty easily if you are obviously sandbagging.

When I was in Tucson last year for 6 weeks, they had daily $5 entry fee tournaments (open as well as under 7-rating), which drew many of the best players in town. And beer for only a buck. :)

With $5 entry fees, players aren't going to get rich off of the winnings. They are there to have fun.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolSharkAllen said:

I just wanted to play is all. There wasn't any tournament that night that wasn't 7 and under. Now if you think I'm going there to rob you're wrong. I even told the guy at the tourny last night. That I just want to play. I told him I'll give everyone the last 2 or a game on the wire. He still said no.

So It's not the rating system that bothered me...(well a little bit now that I think of it).... it was that I just wanted to play. If you think you know me by the slightest bit you don't. I love to play... whether I'm winner or loser.

Tony

Last edited:

bigsamho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I remember when I went out there, I got out there late. There was no where to play so I didn't even practice for it. I didn't even go to the actual room until it was time for me to play a match just because there were too many kids in there to practice. Like at least 3 or 4 to a table. I ended up doing a little gambling at Clicks as the tournament was going, but if you're worried about hitting balls I don't know what to tell you. I'd just find some kids that want some cheap action and play for a few hours. There are a lot of those kids who gamble out there but only a few bet big. There should be quite a few looking for cheap action that play pretty decent.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
I just wanted to play is all. There wasn't any tournament that night that wasn't 7 and under. Now if you think I'm going there to rob you're wrong. I even told the guy at the tourny last night. That I just want to play. I told him I'll give everyone the last 2 or a game on the wire. He still said no.

So It's not the rating system that bothered me it was that I just wanted to play. If you think you know me by the slightest bit you don't. But thanks for trying to get to know me first.

Tony
You're asking too much to expect the tournament organizers to make exceptions to the 7 and under bracket just because you want to play.

If I recall correctly, they do have open tournaments 3 nights or so a week, on alternate evenings. You just happened to be there on the wrong night.