One Pocket Situation

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

Your opponent's pocket is 'A'. He needs one, and you need two. Is there anything that can be done here? Do you just follow in the 3 and hope he misses the 13 with BIH? The 3 is deep in the pocket, a takeout is impossible. Do you go for some type of hail mairy shot on the 13?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you really cant get the 3 out......Im thinking roll up to the 13, make sure you get a rail, and leave him behind it off angle and hooked. He would have to go 2 rails on the 3........ not ideal, but as good a shot as any. If you foul here, you will lose. The opp. has the 13, if you do manage to sink and scratch the 3.
Only real chance is leaving him something he may miss or foul on and hope for the best.
Chuck

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see 3 choices to try

My first choice is bank the 13 back toward side hoping to make it and take cue ball 3 rails and try to follow cue ball into pocket with 3. If you hit it good cue should follow in if 3 is that deep. If you happen to make 3 and scratch but miss 13 at least it will be on other side of table and a tougher shot for bih.
Second shot you can try to go to top rail then to side rail on a kick come behind 13, try to clip edge of ball and cue carom into 3 and scratch and if you miss the thin hit and hit 13 thick you might make it in your pocket then it is obvious your next shot.
Third shot is blast the 13 and try for a 4 railer into your hole.
Good luck on all of them.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nfty9er said:
My first choice is bank the 13 back toward side hoping to make it and take cue ball 3 rails and try to follow cue ball into pocket with 3. If you hit it good cue should follow in if 3 is that deep. If you happen to make 3 and scratch but miss 13 at least it will be on other side of table and a tougher shot for bih.
Second shot you can try to go to top rail then to side rail on a kick come behind 13, try to clip edge of ball and cue carom into 3 and scratch and if you miss the thin hit and hit 13 thick you might make it in your pocket then it is obvious your next shot.
Third shot is blast the 13 and try for a 4 railer into your hole.
Good luck on all of them.
Your first choice is the best hope that I saw. I believe it needs to be a humid day for that 4 railer to have a chance, and even so the angle looks off.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
RiverCity said:
If you really cant get the 3 out......Im thinking roll up to the 13, make sure you get a rail, and leave him behind it off angle and hooked.
Chuck
You're right, that might work. Tricky, but possible. That didn't occur to me at all.

Here's a thought. Some tables have a corner pocket shelf so deep that you can't play a ball rail first if it's really in there. If that is the case, you could gently knock the 13 to your side rail and leave him FROZEN to the head rail. He'll have to lag at the 3 to avoid scratching and even a little roll might save you.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all the crazy banks on the 13 are just that -- crazy.

If someone really wants to win from here, the best chance I see is getting the other player to take an intentional scratch (or forced) by titty hooking him.

He may play an intentional foul back to put you in the same position, or he may try to kick the ball in and miss (understandable when titty hooked without a stable bridge, etc.) and fouls.

That way, he at least needs two when you make his 3-ball and follow the rock in. The 3-ball comes up with one of yours, and it's a better situation than before.

Unfortunately if you're playing a good player then he should still be able to play the 13 but by this point there are 3+ balls now on the spot and a bank is tough.

I'd say someone's chances from here are less than 1:100, but there's what I think about how to win from there.

Oh, and if anyone's watched the 200(2?) DCC match between Parica and Joyner, Parica is in this exact same situation. His answer?

Parica makes Joyner's hanger at warp speed, I assume hoping to hit the (in this case) 13 and either scratch or pop the ball off the table. Needless to say, he doesn't and loses.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
mnShooter said:
Maybe you could freeze the cueball on the 13 or titty hook him.

I was watching Cliff Joyner play Parica one year at J.O.B.s and he was in a similar situation. He did shoot for the corner hook and got it in the upper end pocket on the same side as the 3 ball in the diagram. It was a true test of skill. Parica then nudged the cue ball keeping it corner hooked from the balls. Now there are 2 balls on the spot. Cliff finally got a shot and eventually won the game. Your not hopeless from the situation in the diagram, but it takes alot of skill and creativity to pull out the victory from here.

Southpaw

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Hail Mary is right ...

Even if you hook him, he will just shoot the 13 away from the cue where you can not hook him again, and probably put it where he would have a shot the next turn.

The only way to win this I can see is to:

1) Shoot a 2 rail kick shot to the uptable end rail, then the side rail and come behind the 13 to kick it into your corner.
2) Having done that, you shoot the 3 in and follow it.
3) He then misses with 2 balls on the spot, and you then outplay him to get the 2 balls needed for the win.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
Your opponent's pocket is 'A'. He needs one, and you need two. Is there anything that can be done here? Do you just follow in the 3 and hope he misses the 13 with BIH? The 3 is deep in the pocket, a takeout is impossible. Do you go for some type of hail Mary shot on the 13?
I like the safe on the 13. I don't like my chances to roll into the corner hook.

If you leave him hooked behind the 13 with no shot on the 13 towards his pocket, I think it will be hard for him to leave you no shot on the 13 for your next shot. At least it will be better than the original position.

If playing the corner hook, is it better to play one jaw or two? (Just short rail in the shot shown, or long-rail/short-rail.)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
LastTwo said:

CueTable Help

Your opponent's pocket is 'A'. He needs one, and you need two. Is there anything that can be done here? Do you just follow in the 3 and hope he misses the 13 with BIH? The 3 is deep in the pocket, a takeout is impossible. Do you go for some type of hail mairy shot on the 13?
He needs one, and a ball is hanging in his hole?

Jump the cueball of the 3-ball and into the crowd of railbirds.

(edit: this shot won't work, but it might get you some good laughs)

Fred

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
He needs one, and a ball is hanging in his hole?

Jump the cueball of the 3-ball and into the crowd of railbirds.

Fred

Now he has BIH on the 13 behind the line correct?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not much of a one pocket afficionado, but what about this...

CueTable Help

If the 3 is too far into the pocket that it is "impossible" to take out, then I figure it's too deep into the pocket for your opponent not to follow the CB in if he doesn't hit the bottom half of the CB.

Therefore, freeze the CB on rail as shown. If he decides to shoot the 3, chances are he'll scratch.

If he decides to just hit the 13 into the rail to play a legal hit, there's a chance that he'll leave you with a shot into your pocket (where you can then pocket the 13 and follow the CB in with the 3).

Who knows? He might be too worried about leaving you with a shot that he won't even hit the 13 into the rail. If that's the case, he fouls and you're in great shape. ;)

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Snapshot beat me to the answer.

You're in a trap and the safety options are no better than going for it. Even if you get safe, it's not carved in stone that your opponent can't kick the 3 in.

Personally, I would try to bank or kick the 13 into my pocket. If you make it, you can always make the 3 and scratch, putting 2 balls on the spot. This way, you have a chance to try to outmove the other guy for the win. Any other option, IMO, is a sellout.

Eric

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
Yup, you're right.

Fred <~~~ would have still lost

There is a situation for your shot no doubt and i think there is also a time to jump into the 3 sending both balls off the table. Im too sleepy to think of them now.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. Don't you just have to go offensive here? I think I would just miss the two-railer, and say "well, at least I went for it." I hate going out on a botched safety.

CueTable Help