BCA goes UPA with tighter equipment rules?

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Another thread prompted me to check the BCA equipment specs and I noticed that it seems some time in the last few weeks they have decided to replace their own rules with the WPA (Not UPA as erroneously stated in the title of this thread) ones.

Their website now (rather clumsily) redirects a frame to the WPA equipment specs. They don't seem to have changed any of the actual game rules, just the equipment specs.

The most notable changes I can see are the pocket sizes, which have a much smaller range and have a minimum of 4.5", to 4.625 inches max instead of 5", which makes a big difference.

Last edited:

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA pocket size change

Besides Mark Griffin and the BCA League system, what tournaments do the BCA have these days? The name of the one during the BCA 8-ball nationals was changed to the enjoypool.com invitational or open? Outside of their trade show, what are they concerned about?

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
The way it looks to me, 7 foot tables are not approved equipment:confused:
Am I missing something? Looks like the BCA haven't read these specs. These have been in effect since Nov/2001.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_spec

(Effective November, 2001)

4. Slates
The thickness must be at least 1 inch [2.54 cm], and the playing surface must be capable, either by its own strength or a combination of its strength and that of the table base frame, of maintaining an overall flatness within + .020 inches [.508 mm] lengthwise and + .010 inches [.254 mm] across the width. Further this surface should have an additional deflection not to exceed .030 inches [.762 mm] when loaded with a concentrated static force of 200 pounds [90.7 kg] at its center. All slate joints must be in the same plane within .005 inch [.127 mm] after leveling and shimming. Tournament tables must have a set of slates consisting of three pieces of equal size with wooden frame of at least ¾ inch [1.905 cm] thick lumber attached underneath the slate. The slate sections must be
secured to the base frame with countersunk screws or bolts.

5. Playing Surface
The playing surface (area) must be rectangular, and symmetrical when the pocket configurations are included:
9 foot - 100 (+ 1/8) x 50 (+ 1/8) inches (except cushions)/ [2.54 m (+
3.175 mm) x 1.27 m (+ 3.175 mm)]
8 foot - 92 (+ 1/8) x 46 (+ 1/8) inches (except cushions)/ [2.3368 m (+
3.175 mm) x 1.1684 m (+ 3.175 mm)]

Jerry Forsyth

For years the BCA Nationals was played on illegal tables as their rule book in the eighties and early nineties stated that only eight and nine foot tables were legal. The BCA got tired of hearing about that so they included the bar tables in their rules in the late nineties. If they have changed back to only 8 and 9 foots it will matter little. Large tournaments like the BCA Poolleague Nationals, the APA and so forth could not be played on a larger table as the trucking and moving costs would be prohibitive and I do not believe there would be many affordable places large enough to accomodate the layout required.

It was not the size of the table that used to irritate the players, it was the cue ball. All bar tables used to utilize a cue ball that was either heavier, larger or had metal in it to enable the ball return mechanism to recognize it. Thank goodness that little problem has now been solved and barbox players can compete with balls of equal weight and girth.

DRW said:
Besides Mark Griffin and the BCA League system, what tournaments do the BCA have these days? The name of the one during the BCA 8-ball nationals was changed to the enjoypool.com invitational or open? Outside of their trade show, what are they concerned about?

This should be an entire thread all to its self.

For almost 1/2 a decade I have been concerned about this. The BCA has made major changes within it's organization and IMO it has become a less than usefull organization for the betterment of cuesports.

I'm not bashing the BCA, I just have higher hopes for the organization. They have accomplished many great things but it seems that over the last few years their effectiveness to pool players, pool rooms and many of their members has greatly diminished.

I know that many within the organization are working diligently to change things but the process is extremely slow. I wish them luck in the endevour and hope for a speedy recovery.

TO THE BCA:
If you need help, inspiration ar a vision for the future of the BCA please DON'T HESITATE TO CONTACT ME.