Reload this Page WPBA Pocket size
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
WPBA Pocket size
Old
  (#1)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

WPBA Pocket size - 07-07-2006, 05:20 PM

Does anyone know what the pocket sizes are for the WPBA tables for their tournaments? They look like they are 5" pockets on some of the matches i've seen.

SCCues

wpba
Old
  (#2)
travis trotter
pro pool player
travis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond reputetravis trotter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Post wpba - 07-07-2006, 06:33 PM

they are 5 inches wide pockets

thanks

Old
  (#3)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-07-2006, 08:13 PM

Actually, the WPBA pocket size is 4.5 inches, but with the fast cloth and the very slidy rails, they play much looser than that.

Old
  (#4)
Craig Fales
Registered bubinga user
Craig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400
  Send a message via MSN to Craig Fales Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Fales  
07-07-2006, 08:20 PM

I see alot of the women pros shoot balls in that should have rattled out and not even come close to going in....
________

Last edited by Craig Fales; 08-25-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Old
  (#5)
powderburner
AzB Silver Member
powderburner will become famous soon enough

07-07-2006, 08:31 PM

I have checked the WPBA tables several times and they were about 4.5 inch. Some claim the tables used for the TV rounds were recovered after regular play and had shorter rails for bigger pockets but I find that a little difficult to believe.

If it ain't fun, why bother

Old
  (#6)
jjinfla
Banned
jjinfla is a splendid one to beholdjjinfla is a splendid one to beholdjjinfla is a splendid one to beholdjjinfla is a splendid one to beholdjjinfla is a splendid one to beholdjjinfla is a splendid one to beholdjjinfla is a splendid one to behold

07-08-2006, 05:09 AM

I believe it was Dawn Hopkins talking about pocket size during the last televised match on ESPN. San Diego. She mentioned how Allison would have made that shot on the old larger 5 inch pockets but these in San Diego are 4 1/2.

So I suspect they are changing to the smaller size pockets.

Old
  (#7)
Rich R.
AzB Silver Member
Rich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

07-08-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fales
I see alot of the women pros shoot balls in that should have rattled out and not even come close to going in....
Those same shots would definitely rattle out in your local pool room, with older cloth. As SJM said, the new cloth makes these tables play looser. The regulars in the TV rounds have learned how to use that new cloth to their advantage and cheat the pockets a little, when needed.

The next time your local room recovers their tables, try to be the first to play on one and you will see what you can get away with.

Old
  (#8)
Johnnyt
Burn all jump cues
Johnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 169290

07-08-2006, 08:07 AM

On a side note. Thank you WPBA for putting up rankings and points in a timely manner. Johnnyt

Never Give Up

Old
  (#9)
tedkaufman
AzB Silver Member
tedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2006, 08:57 AM

Last year at the Nationals in Oregon I asked Steve Tiften what the pocket size was and he told me 5". Somewhere I read the WPBA was going to smaller pockets for this season, but I don't have any confirmation.

Cue: Southwest (1992) 6pt cocobolo, Hoppe butt style, birdseye front.
Case: Flowers 4x2

Old
  (#10)
sjm
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedkaufman
Last year at the Nationals in Oregon I asked Steve Tiften what the pocket size was and he told me 5". Somewhere I read the WPBA was going to smaller pockets for this season, but I don't have any confirmation.
Peg Ledman, who coordinates all aspects of the equipment planning and setup for WPBA events, has told me the specs are 4 1/2 inches at the corners and 5 inches at the sides.

Still, because the cloth is fast and the rails are ridiculously slidy, these tables just don't play tight. Pocket size isn't everything when it comes to assessing the difficulty of playing conditions.

Old
  (#11)
tedkaufman
AzB Silver Member
tedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm
Peg Ledman, who coordinates all aspects of the equipment planning and setup for WPBA events, has told me the specs are 4 1/2 inches at the corners and 5 inches at the sides.

Still, because the cloth is fast and the rails are ridiculously slidy, these tables just don't play tight. Pocket size isn't everything when it comes to assessing the difficulty of playing conditions.
I agree about the cloth and rails determining how wide a pocket plays. As for my question to Steve last year at the Nationals, he told me the corners were 5". And they looked huge, which is why I asked him.

Cue: Southwest (1992) 6pt cocobolo, Hoppe butt style, birdseye front.
Case: Flowers 4x2

Old
  (#12)
sjm

07-08-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedkaufman
I agree about the cloth and rails determining how wide a pocket plays. As for my question to Steve last year at the Nationals, he told me the corners were 5". And they looked huge, which is why I asked him.
In that case, it sounds like they switched this year. I'm going to the next WPBA event, which is abouit three weeks away, and I'll have a glance.

Old
  (#13)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2006, 10:04 AM

a couple of years ago, at the WPBA Peoria event, late on a saturday night after the last matches had concluded i walked back to where the TV table was and checked it out.

IIRC, it was a Brunswick Gibson table, and i thought the corner pockets were somewhat big. not huge, but pretty big. and as SJM says, with slick cloth they actually play a little bigger.

i recall one shot Gerda made on TV back in 2002 against Allison in the finals at Peoria, and i thought it was amazing that ball went it. when it was shown on TV, it was even more amazing that the shot went in.

DCP

Last edited by DrCue'sProtege; 07-08-2006 at 02:38 PM.

wpba pocket size
Old
  (#14)
amatuer
AzB Bronze Member
amatuer will become famous soon enough

wpba pocket size - 07-08-2006, 10:17 AM

In florida they used the new brunswick metro tournament tables which has 4.5 inch pockets. The rails are a little longer so the played a bit tighter more like a diamond table in the corners. Many players were rattling balls during the whole tournament. Shots down the rail were touigher.

Old
  (#15)
sarahrousey
pro player

sarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond reputesarahrousey has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to sarahrousey  
07-08-2006, 12:54 PM

As amatuer said, in Florida we used the Metro table with extended rails. The pockets were 4.5 or a little smaller. The tables played tougher and the humid conditions made them even more tough. I personally hope we continue to use this table but I'm not sure if it was just a trial run or not. I know this is the same table the men will use as well. It is the Metro Tournament Edition. We will see in a couple of weeks.

Sarah

"You may be disappointed if you fail but you are doomed if you don't try." -Beverly Sills

Check out my blog http://sarahrousey.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: