Here's one for DCP

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I was playing 6ball this morning and had this: What would you do? My first thought was to draw to the short side of the 4ball, but I felt it was too risky so I did something else.

There's also a bit of a reach involved.

Attachments

• shot.JPG
    shot.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi Hal, and thanks for the diagram. always good to discuss shots with other players/posters, one can learn from this.

again, without actually being at the table and seeing the shot, a few things quickly popped into my mind.

1) IF - and this is a big IF - the shot on the '3' is straight i would try and draw straight back. the reach might make this more difficult too. but i assume since you were going to draw back on the short side of the '4' Ball its not straight in.

2) possibly hit it hard and "POP" it over and across and leave a better angle on the '4'.

3) or possibly hit it with some high right and try and follow and come down table off the short rail for a shot on the '4'.

those are my thoughts. what did you decide to do? the reach does make about any shot here more difficult.

DCP

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
The shot isn't straight. I had just enough angle to try and draw back on the short side of the 4. This was tempting, but I decided to just draw back a few feet and play a safety.
I didn't hit it very good though and left a long straight in shot.

Attachments

• shot.JPG
    shot.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 129

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
START(
%CP8W3%Dr3U8%EY5U7%FR6S1%PW7T4

)END

I had to make up my own wei of the shot. How about this:

START(
%CP8W3%Dr3U8%EY5U7%FR6S1%PW7T4%WR5V9%XW0T8%YT4Z8%ZQ5W3%[o0S2
%\U0[3%]C7^9%^P3E4%eA4a9
)END

Using more left than draw just enough to draw it slightly off the tangent line (hit it a ton.) This is a guess on my part, I have no clue if it would work (I have to get to a table and try it.)

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
There didn't seem to be enough angle for that. I didn't try it though so I can't say either way. After posting the original shot, I saw the cross bank. That's indeed another option.

Attachments

• shot.JPG
    shot.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal
Just curious about a couple things.

1- If you were planning on playing safe why draw back to a weaker position to get a safe? The cueball was alrady closer to the other balls to aid in making the hook "tighter".

2- If you were planning on bringing it back a few feet to play a safe why not go ahead and bring it back towards the short side. If you get good position and feel good about running out then that is an option. If not then the safety routes are still there. IMO you shot a ball that took any chance of running out out of play. If I was going to draw I think I would have tried to keep that option open.

With having a table at home do you ever take the random layouts from the
CueTable generator and set them up? If you do please share with us
some interesting layouts. I want to save some and practice certain layouts in a Total Offense Style.
thanks

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
frankncali said:
Hal
Just curious about a couple things.

1- If you were planning on playing safe why draw back to a weaker position to get a safe? The cueball was alrady closer to the other balls to aid in making the hook "tighter".
I drew the cue ball back closer to the object ball to make the shot easier I guess. I figured the farther I am away from the ball, the harder the shot would be.
frankncali said:
2- If you were planning on bringing it back a few feet to play a safe why not go ahead and bring it back towards the short side. If you get good position and feel good about running out then that is an option. If not then the safety routes are still there. IMO you shot a ball that took any chance of running out out of play. If I was going to draw I think I would have tried to keep that option open.
I was afraid of scratching in the corner when I drew the cue ball back or landing on top of the ball.
frankncali said:
With having a table at home do you ever take the random layouts from the
CueTable generator and set them up? If you do please share with us
some interesting layouts. I want to save some and practice certain layouts in a Total Offense Style.
thanks
Yeah, I try the layouts almost every time one is posted. My home games are pretty much the 6, 9, and 10 ball ghosts.