Upa, the players and the US Open

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Well, here is an interesting one.

The US Open is not a UPA sanctioned tournament. The UPA contract calls for UPA members to only play in UPA santioned events.

Earl's contract with one of his sponsors says he must play in the US Open each year.

So, how does that one work?

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Yes, I know all about that situation. What I am thinking about is how Earl could ever rejoin the UPA in an attempt to unify the male pros. I don't think he can do that, if the UPA's dealings with Barry and the US Open put Earl in jeapardy of getting in trouble with his sponsors.

Mike

jjinfla

Banned
Mike, if I understand you, what you are saying is that one of the stipulations in the Contract that Earl signed with his sponsor is that he must play in the US Open. And one of the stipulations of the US Open being sanctioned by the UPA is that ALL members in the tournament being sanctioned must be members of the UPA. And doesn't Earl get a free guaranteed entry because he won it? And it is very doubtful that the UPA will allow Earl to re-join them since they actually kicked him out. And I doubt that Earl wants to join them anyway. Now Cuetec being a respected company wants Earl to represent them at the US Open because they know that he is good for their image and their company. I received an e-mail last year from that company that sponsors CW informing me that they were not at all interested in the US Open. That was their response to my asking them how can they sponsor someone who was doing so much harm to the US Open. (In my opinion). So Mike, what does Barry say is the reason the US Open is not sanctioned by the UPA. Maybe it is just time for promoters to just say screw the UPA and the players who support it. Here is the tournament, these are the rules you play by. You want to play, come. You don't, stay home. And the rest of us should boycot CW's sponsors if CW continues with this fiasco. Jake

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Harry, I am real curious what you mean with this comment. Who is involved in money grabbing schemes?

Mike

Gremlin said:
As you can see the promoters are going to do what they want anyway. Witness the Big Apple Tournament, The Windy City Open on and on. Face it. No one in there right mind outside the pool industry is going to put a nickel into people who are all on there own little money grabbing scheme.

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
Harry, I am also interested in what you mean by "money grabbing scheme"

Bob Romano, Promoter of the Windy City Open

Skeezicks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gremlin said:
Face it. No one in there right mind outside the pool industry is going to put a nickel into people who are all on there own little money grabbing scheme.
Like the promoters?

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
Harry, I am real curious what you mean with this comment. Who is involved in money grabbing schemes?

Mike

mike, my take on H's statement was that he meant pool is splintered with indivisual tournaments around the country,,,,no unity of effort to see the industry grow.

rather, like players,,, the promoters are shortsighted and only looking to promote their own little effort(money grabbing schemes).

SLIGHTLY over the top statement, maybe, but look at the problems williams is facing and will face when trying to get organizers to agree to his/players terms. one organizer is fighting back (who do you think YOU are to tell us what to do), in order to keep things his way.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Still not sure why moving an event from an area where the promoters could get no support to an area where the promoters were able to get support is money grabbing.

These people are not making a killing off of running tournaments. They are rounding up the added money from sponsors, working with the venue and the hotels, and trying to put on an event that will bring in a fair amount of fans.

Most of the promoters are doing it for a simple love of the game.

The men's game has been splintered for quite some time. I love the idea of a unified body that can represent the men with the men's best interests in mind. I just don't think it is being done the right way.

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
If promoters were getting rich from running pool tournaments, don't you think there would be a whole lot more of them going on out there? How exactly are these promoters getting rich?

And why exactly is it such a bad thing that the Capital City event had to move to Philly? Because it won't be held near the Ramada?

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
By the way, BD simply stated that I received more than 2 votes as someone with influence in the billiard world. As the only webmaster included in that list, I took it as a large compliment.

Believe me though, if I had known years ago about all the political crap involved in this game, I would have never gotten involved.

Mike

M

MSB Promotions

I have to agree with Mike that if promoters were making a killing on events, there would be an event held every week.

How many time have we seen a "First Annual..." event, but never see another?

Harry, if it's so easy to make a living promoting events, I suggest you try it and then come back to this board and talk about how much money you've walked away with.

Everyone needs to work together to make pool better. Not just the promoters, but the fans, the players, the pool organization, the billiard industry in general.

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with the last post...I don't believe the events make lots of money either....they ARE for the players. I believe pool has gotten more publicity in the past year then ever before because of the televised events. Oh and Gremlin, it doesn't matter who you cheer for.....the women the men, they are all key factors in the sport. We all have our favorites, the difference is that we don't plug the boards with updates on them.

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record, I practice quite often and feel I have a strong game coming your way one day soon.....it is my dream to play professionally as well.....the only pool player I will be sponsoring is myself......I have played in events with Ms. Ellerby and although thought she had a strong game, her personality has lots to be desired.....I wish you both the best.....

jjinfla

Banned
Aw Harry, that ain't entirely true. I think you will be doing a little bit of supporting men's pool this weekend.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Barry Berhman will have completed his sentence (serving on the weekends) by my calculations, one week prior to the start of the US Open.

The US Open ticket sales started May 1st. Looks like there have already been some sales so far, according to the seating chart. BTW, I already ordered my tickets.

If the UPA and Barry Berhman do not work together to get this tournament sanctioned, who's loss would it be? How many pros will not show up? If last year was any indication, some fans were referring to the tournament as the US Open Lite. (for the lack of a lot of CW's buddies not showing up)

I don't think the UPA will be strong enough by September to make any great impact on the attendance of the US Open. Only Barry Berhman will be able to influence this year's events success. Barry will need more help than ever. Maybe this year he will have to cut back on a lot of extras and eat a little piece of HUMBLE pie.

My opinion..

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you read my post it said I have played in events WITH her not AGAINST her....and in pool you don't play the person anyway, you play the table.....you of course have your opinion as do I, so we will call it a draw......as it seems both of us are quite hard headed......also, I did not attack anyone, simply stated what I have witnessed. Thank you for the information about the Hunter, but I am quite aware of the players, the event and others just like it.

Adanac67

Predator=Awesome
Silver Member
In order to make sure that ALL of the best players in 9-ball are at the US Open, Karen Corr and Allison Fisher need to be added to the roster. Come on Barry, do the right thing.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Harry, both Chucklez and I keep a pretty keen eye on the forums and I did not see anything wrong with 9balllvr's post. I have known Sarah for quite some time, and I have always considered her a friend. She knows that some of the players have problems with the way she go about playing the game. As far as that goes, Sarah and I have spoke about it a few times. I am not sure that there is anything that can be done about it.

As for your comment about my inclusion on the BD poll being a 'token', are you saying that you don't believe I was mentioned and that BD simply threw my name in as a gesture? I don't buy that for a second. A magazine that writes an article once a year about the best billiard sites on the net and barely mentions AzB, would have no reason to throw me a bone like that.

Mike

J

Joe Mama

Harry,
Perhaps this is off the topic, but you are very wrong about the Capital City Classic. I am not from Philadelphia, but I have stayed in several hotels throughout the city and the Adam's Mark is by no means a "fleabag hotel". I believe that it is actually a four star hotel with a four-star restaurant on the top floor. I imagine that $120 is a pretty reasonable price for the accomodations. Perhaps you don't have the money to spend for the hotel, but I would hope that you will
refrain from spreading the falsehoods about the host hotel. If you want to stay in a hotel that charges both nightly AND hourly, be my guest...

Joe Mama

jjinfla

Banned
Tom In Cincy said:
[If the UPA and Barry Berhman do not work together to get this tournament sanctioned, who's loss would it be? How many pros will not show up? If last year was any indication, some fans were referring to the tournament as the US Open Lite. (for the lack of a lot of CW's buddies not showing up)

I don't think the UPA will be strong enough by September to make any great impact on the attendance of the US Open. Only Barry Berhman will be able to influence this year's events success. .

My opinion.. [/B]

It seems that the US Open and the UPA got themselves into a catch-22.

To be sanctioned ALL players must be members of the UPA.

Earl Strickland is not a member of the UPA and most likely the UPA will not allow him to re-join.

Since Earl Strickland is a former winner of the US Open he gets a paid entry to the US Open.

Earl is committed, by contract with his sponsor, to play in the US Open.

Will the UPA relent and give Barry an exception in Earl's case?

Will Earl make an attempt to re-join the UPA?

Will the UPA allow Earl to re-join?

Or, is there some other reason that the US Open is not sanctioned? Neither Barry nor Charlie seem to want to explain why it is not sanctioned.

All in all it is just another black eye for pool.

Stay tuned for further episodes of the battle of the egos.

Jake