Ob Carbon Fiber Pad on shaft

fluna760

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My carbon fiber pad cracked last night while playing. I was wondering if anyone knows if I send it in to OB for repair could I still use my G2 tip on it? The tip has plenty of life left that's why wouldn't want to just toss it. My shaft was fine at first toward the end of the night I had started to get a weird "thump" feedback, I then checked if the weight bolt was loose or if it was screwed tight but everything was. Started to look closer at the shaft and noticed the pad had a crack within the pad. Is this common in the OB plus shafts? Mine is an OB2+, should I buy spare pads for the future?

Attachments

• IMAG1499.jpg
    IMAG1499.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 574

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That happened on my ob2 shaft. I thought the black part was part of the tip so I just got it retipped. I'm interested to see others answers.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only point is to help prevent the tip from mushrooming.
In my opinion it's just another step in making an already numb feeling shaft feel just that much more numb. Not much but a little.
OB and others are doing this while more and more of the top makers seem to be increasingly gluing their tips directly on the wooden shaft,,,,no ferrule.
Mostly to INCREASE the feel of the cue.
The LD makers are going the opposite way.....

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OB shafts with the wood ferrule must have the carbon fibre pad, if not the ferrule will split.
It's really hard to fit a trimmed down tip, not saying it cant be done, but it's difficult.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any competent builder can repair it

if it were mine and i did not have a lathe, send it back to royce, those guys are great, and have excellent customer service.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only point is to help prevent the tip from mushrooming.
In my opinion it's just another step in making an already numb feeling shaft feel just that much more numb. Not much but a little.
OB and others are doing this while more and more of the top makers seem to be increasingly gluing their tips directly on the wooden shaft,,,,no ferrule.
Mostly to INCREASE the feel of the cue.
The LD makers are going the opposite way.....

Lol...wow...sounds like conspiracy theory to me.

The purpose of the carbon fiber pad is to increase structural integrity. That's really it. It prevents having to face off a more delicate wood ferrule when doing tip changes, and just helps hold things together. I'm not sure what evidence you have to support your claim that a carbon fiber pad decreases feel.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The solution is to replace the carbon fiber pad. This is *not* a black fiber pad. It is a *carbon fiber* pad. Your tip repair man can buy them from OB.

And sorry to say, but it is pretty impossible to save that tip. Aside from the fact that installing it just right after its already cut to size is difficult to do well, you have a ragged piece of carbon fiber glued to the bottom of it. You pretty much need a new tip. Can you save it? Maybe. Should you? Probably not.

KMRUNOUT

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The CF pad could have possibly failed due to cutting/machining on tip install if you have had a tip installed after you bought it.

All pad's do make a difference in feel/hit to me as well as protection to certain ferrule materials.

Sending out to OB probably best bet unless you have a good trusted repairman:thumbup:

-Kat

RBC

Deceased
To the OP

You would almost definitely lose the tip. You might try to get a little thin CA in the split area, squeeze it down tight and let the glue set.

What's happened is that the carbon fiber has separated between the layers of carbon weave. Most likely it experienced a "lifting" or upward pressure at some time to cause it. The impact of hitting the ball only compresses. The sound you here is when the small open area gets slammed closed when you hit the ball. If you could glue it closed, you'd never know it ever happened. Of course, if you'd like to send it to us we'd be happy to do the work for no charge. It's not really a defect, but we'd do it anyway. But, you would have to send us the tip.

You might want to mention to your tip guy that he should always cut towards the joint end of the shaft. In other words, start off the tip end and cut towards the joint. If he cuts the other way when he trimmed down your tip, it could have separated the carbon layers. I'm certainly not saying that's what happened. Just that it's possible. If you do want to send it in, just go to our website and follow the instructions there.

For 9ballr

I'm not sure how familiar you are with our products, but here's a little info.

The carbon fiber pad doesn't soften the hit. It's there for tensile strength to protect the ferrule. Also, installing the tip directly on the end of a shaft will actually hit a little softer than most traditional ferruled shafts would. When you see a custom cuemaker do that, he's actually making the shaft lower cue ball squirt by removing the weight in the ferrule. Those shafts are susceptible to splitting though, if they don't have something like our carbon fiber pad to protect it.

As for the shafts hitting softer, we actually make two distinctly different styles of hit. Our wood ferruled shafts, the OB-1+ and the OB-2+, are designed to be soft and solid. Believe it or not, there are very many players who prefer that softer quieter hit. On the other hand, our Classic and Pro models are built for the firm crisp or stiff hit. They feel very much more like the traditional ferruled shaft would feel. We offer the choice so either preference can still get the benefits of very low cue ball squirt.

I hope that helps!

Royce

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Royce you are a professional and a good business man. I always enjoy it when you take the time to personally respond to questions or concerns regarding your Brand.

I also see you comp and take are of many here. That is a rare commodity these day's.

Keep up the good work.

-Kat,