Write, color or paint on a pool table.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if there was some way to color a part of the pool table without causing and damage to the cloth and would be removable naturally.
Say for example, instead of using a piece of paper to mark your target spot could you draw a box or color and area, so that there would be close to nothing affecting the roll of the ball?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will let others comments about safely marking the table, but other alternatives popped into my head, like throwing a magic rack on your target area, or maybe getting some type of laser pen (in a flexible holder) that would highlight the target area?

Attachments

• red_laser_pointer_pens.jpg
    red_laser_pointer_pens.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 347

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I can't remember whose video it was on, but one instructor used the reinforcement rings for sheet paper. You know, those little adhesive rings you licked and stuck to the page when your binder tore the hole in the paper? They stick very lightly to the table, and can be pulled off any good quality cloth with no effect whatsoever.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I can't remember whose video it was on, but one instructor used the reinforcement rings for sheet paper. You know, those little adhesive rings you licked and stuck to the page when your binder tore the hole in the paper? They stick very lightly to the table, and can be pulled off any good quality cloth with no effect whatsoever.
You don't lick them any more - and they leave a little glue on the cloth when you pull them off (depending on how long you leave them on), which collects dirt over time, making little dark donut-shaped spots on your cloth.

pj
chgo

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
They don't make 'em like they used to. The thin ones you licked worked pretty well. Thanks the the correction. I wouldn't want donut holes on my table!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW
I tried marking a table with a white pencil.
The Simonis X-1 would remove it.

For permanent marking had to use a Sharpie.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
go to a cloth store and get a cloth pen.

However, no matter what you do, if you do it enough it will leave a "ghost".

playonepocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Water soluble tailors chalk pencil. For temporary applications it's the nuts.

Also, as another poster said it may leave a ghost mark, but will fade/disappear over time with play and the occasional damp cloth when cleaning.

playonepocket

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
go to a cloth store and get a cloth pen.

However, no matter what you do, if you do it enough it will leave a "ghost".

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will let others comments about safely marking the table, but other alternatives popped into my head, like throwing a magic rack on your target area, or maybe getting some type of laser pen (in a flexible holder) that would highlight the target area?

Great idea! I've never thought of using a laser and normally stick to just using a paper target, but you can buy pretty cheap lasers with different designs and such now, there has to be a simple circle attachment for one of them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Great idea! I've never thought of using a laser and normally stick to just using a paper target, but you can buy pretty cheap lasers with different designs and such now, there has to be a simple circle attachment for one of them.
Computerized laser projectors are already drawing amazing things on pool tables - take a look at this YouTube video: Augmented Reality Pool

There's no technical reason you can't project anything you want anywhere on the table with today's technology.

I'd like to have a pool table light with built-in laser projection and video recording capability.

pj
chgo

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great response.
I use the donuts all the time but very sparingly as I don't have my own table, and although owners allow me to use them "cause I know them" so people are not so. I use the paper also which is fine for rolling onto but I don't like it as much as being the surface that players a roll in the shot i.e. If I wanted to say draw a ball back X distance and saw keep piece of paper behind the object ball as a target then the ball is sliding from the cloth to the paper, and other scenarios like that.
I like the idea of using the laser but I guess finding some type of holder for it would be your hardest problem. It would be a dream like (I can't remember, maybe the mosconi or past American event) the promo they would flash on the table from the lights at whatever tourmnament it is that I'm thinking off.

I'm going to explore that laser thing