Tip shape

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a lesson, from a pro, he mentioned that I should raise my back hand a little higher. He said, one benefit is that a smaller portion of your tip hits the cue ball. Can't I just keep my back hand lower and change the shape of my tip to be more round and thus lower the amount of tip hitting the cue ball?

not sure which is better to try, dime+ or dime++

I know that the more you lift your back hand the higher the swerve and higher the deflection, those are two reasons for not wanting to switch my hand elevation even though I play with a low deflection shaft. I also have years of playing with a level cue, changing my hand position would be a huge adjustment.

One more question. Is hitting the cue ball with a smaller area a good thing?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Here are some resources on tip size and curvature that can help answer your questions:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue_tip.html#size

As far as hitting the cb with a smaller portion of the tip because of raising your backhand, I don't think this is possible.

It is far more important to hit the cue ball accurately with whatever tip radius you use.

I got a lesson, from a pro, he mentioned that I should raise my back hand a little higher. He said, one benefit is that a smaller portion of your tip hits the cue ball. Can't I just keep my back hand lower and change the shape of my tip to be more round and thus lower the amount of tip hitting the cue ball?

not sure which is better to try, dime+ or dime++

I know that the more you lift your back hand the higher the swerve and higher the deflection, those are two reasons for not wanting to switch my hand elevation even though I play with a low deflection shaft. I also have years of playing with a level cue, changing my hand position would be a huge adjustment.

One more question. Is hitting the cue ball with a smaller area a good thing?

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've already got a good grasp on what happens by youself when you raise the back.

I can attest that raising the back is the worst idea ever. Every part of physics speaks against it - and most importantly every credible instructor and player I know.
Most importantly every Carom player - whom I perceive as most credible and humble.

The instruction you received might just be that it's a certain correction technique for that particular player himself.

Just read for yourself here what exactly happens with tip shapes:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue_tip.html#size

The smaller area does nothing spectacular: it will be more exact, in the sense that it decreases your error margin with the offset hit, or simply pronounce the offset stronger in the result.
If that by itself is desireable is up to your playing style; you can also try a smaller tip size.

Cheers,
M

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a lesson, from a pro, he mentioned that I should raise my back hand a little higher. He said, one benefit is that a smaller portion of your tip hits the cue ball.

I have never heard someone recommend this, quite the opposite actually, every lesson I've taken has stressed the importance of using as level a cue as possible.

Combine that with his reasoning making zero sense (a rounded tip contacting a rounded ball...the contact patch isn't going to change based on angle) and I think you should maybe look for a new pro for your lessons.