Groove depth on Lucasi with sports grip?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a customer who wants to take of the rubber grip on his Lucasi cue and have a linen grip installed.
I figure the groove depth might be deeper due to the rubber grip thats on there now.
Any one who can chime in on this?
If I need to build up the wrap groove, can i soak thin veneer and trim it to size with my wrap magic, just like I was installing a leather wrap and clamp it down with hose clamps until the glue dries?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a customer who wants to take of the rubber grip on his Lucasi cue and have a linen grip installed.
I figure the groove depth might be deeper due to the rubber grip thats on there now.
Any one who can chime in on this?
If I need to build up the wrap groove, can i soak thin veneer and trim it to size with my wrap magic, just like I was installing a leather wrap and clamp it down with hose clamps until the glue dries?

It's real thick. Yes you can use your wrap magic. Measure and cut your top and bottom. ONLY wet the outside of the veneer. I use .035. When you wet one side, never both sides. The veneer will curl easily. Glue down the middle. I use titebond. Wet the outside again while glueing and when you put it on have the unglued section lap under one another and wrap with (sticky side out) electrical tape while it dries which is pretty quick btw. Next step is doing your seam work. Wet the out side of the veneer again and do your cuts. Most important is...everytime you want to bend the veneer wipe it with a damp sponge. When completed ready to glue. Titebond again and wrap it with electrical tape again sticky side out while it dries. I have pictures in my computer but I still don't go on it unless I really have too. Cut the channel and or sand. Done. Patience and concentration. You'll be happy.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's real thick. Yes you can use your wrap magic. Measure and cut your top and bottom. ONLY wet the outside of the veneer. I use .035. When you wet one side, never both sides. The veneer will curl easily. Glue down the middle. I use titebond. Wet the outside again while glueing and when you put it on have the unglued section lap under one another and wrap with (sticky side out) electrical tape while it dries which is pretty quick btw. Next step is doing your seam work. Wet the out side of the veneer again and do your cuts. Most important is...everytime you want to bend the veneer wipe it with a damp sponge. When completed ready to glue. Titebond again and wrap it with electrical tape again sticky side out while it dries. I have pictures in my computer but I still don't go on it unless I really have too. Cut the channel and or sand. Done. Patience and concentration. You'll be happy.

Thanks Michael :thumbup:, that`s what i suspected I had to do.
I`ll order the veneer now and tell my customer that he can expect to be without his cue for 3 days, wich gives me ample time to glue, cut, sand and install the wrap.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Michael :thumbup:, that`s what i suspected I had to do.
I`ll order the veneer now and tell my customer that he can expect to be without his cue for 3 days, wich gives me ample time to glue, cut, sand and install the wrap.

If you get stuck. Shoot me an email. I'll help the best I can. I'm not here much but I check emails twice a day.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you get stuck. Shoot me an email. I'll help the best I can. I'm not here much but I check emails twice a day.

Thanks Michael, that's very kind of you. I'll drop you an email if I run into unforseen problems :)

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Took the sports grip off yesterday and underneath the grip there is some kind of foam.
The groove is really deep, I think I have to build up the grove with more than one piece of veneer.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
I've done it a few times on a Lucasi rubber grip.. That's blue foam isn't the easiest stuff to peel off, but I did to get it to the wood..

I built it up with another leather wrap. So basically double wrapped it..

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Took the sports grip off yesterday and underneath the grip there is some kind of foam.
The groove is really deep, I think I have to build up the grove with more than one piece of veneer.

Recut or sand the channel for each layer used. You'll have the pleasure knowing, you did it properly. The alternate option would be to change the handle but that could really be a pain if you don't have the experience. I don't know what people know or don't know so I offer the most logical solution to start with. Good luck.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've done it a few times on a Lucasi rubber grip.. That's blue foam isn't the easiest stuff to peel off, but I did to get it to the wood..

I built it up with another leather wrap. So basically double wrapped it..

I was going to skip this but seeing I'm getting over some illness and can't sleep. I have to comment. From the bottom of my worthless heart, I mean no disrespect.
There are two ways to address a problem.
1- Fix
Somewhat solves the issue but the problem still exist. If not for you, someone else down the road.
2- Repair
Proper methods to solve the issue and correct the problem.

I fought with myself about posting the method of using veneer stock to correct the dept of the wrap channels. None of my reasons not to post the method I use have anything to do with people who really want to learn. So I posted. It's a pretty good free lesson. Respectfully, I really hope it helps.

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I was going to skip this but seeing I'm getting over some illness and can't sleep. I have to comment. From the bottom of my worthless heart, I mean no disrespect.
There are two ways to address a problem.
1- Fix
Somewhat solves the issue but the problem still exist. If not for you, someone else down the road.
2- Repair
Proper methods to solve the issue and correct the problem.

I fought with myself about posting the method of using veneer stock to correct the dept of the wrap channels. None of my reasons not to post the method I use have anything to do with people who really want to learn. So I posted. It's a pretty good free lesson. Respectfully, I really hope it helps.

Hope you are feeling better and on the mend Mike.

Keep posting!:thumbup:

Rick