Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Can i put a tip on this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Can i put a tip on this?
Old
  (#1)
nfuids
eh?
nfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Can i put a tip on this? - 07-08-2016, 11:48 AM

I removed a tip on my gf's cue and see this.

Can i install a new tip? Its the first time a can see the wood through the ferrule!

Thanks
Attached Images

It's all relative, keep calm!

Predator SP2 / Cynergy 15k / Victory Soft
Predator BK Rush / Taom tip
Predator Air Jump 2
Mezz MA-FK1 Autographed by Venom

Old
  (#2)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

07-08-2016, 11:52 AM

That's a press-fit uncapped ferrule.
Very common with imports.

No issues installing tips on those.

Old
  (#3)
nfuids
eh?
nfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
That's a press-fit uncapped ferrule.
Very common with imports.

No issues installing tips on those.

Thanks for the quick answer!!

Predator Air Jump 2

(#4)
ROB.M
:)
ROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 980

Post - 07-08-2016, 12:07 PM

I can recommend that you use hand cleaner with pumice to remove the chalk dust from the ferrule or any access CA that gets on the ferrule when chalk dust is there you'll have a blue stain.

Also~> once the ferrule is cleaned it's a good practice to wrap the ferrule in masking tape up to the very edge of the ferrule if your not real familiar with installing tips, the tape will protect the ferrule from large amounts of glue deposit squeezed out.
Remove the tape seconds within the tip being pressed in place.

Enjoy'

Rob.M

Couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie'

Old
  (#5)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2016, 12:36 PM

Best trick ever for cleaning up a ferrule.
Drop by a hobby store and buy a small plastic squeeze bottle with screw on cap. A couple of bucks tops.
While you're out, stop at the grocery store and buy a bottle of Soft Scrub, preferably without bleach. One bottle will be a lifetime supply.
Fill the small bottle with Soft Scrub and keep it on your work bench.
For those of you with lathes, chuck the shaft up as per usual and cut off the old tip with a knife.
Using the small bottle of Soft Scrub squeeze out one drop onto the ferrule, keeping it off the wood of the shaft, and spread it around the dirty ferrule with your finger. Turn on the lathe and with a folded paper towel and medium pressure, draw the towel toward the end where the tip was. Once is usually enough, but if the chalk stain is severe you made need to do it twice.
With a drop of spit (or water) rinse off the ferrule and wipe dry with a clean paper towel and it will be shining like a diamond in a goats ass.
Now, you can face off a new surface on the end of the ferrule and install your new tip.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#6)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-10-2016, 11:16 AM

The best tip for cleaning ferrules is really to just always use ferrules that resist chalk & remain clean.

That's one of the reasons my pool cues have ivory ferrules. Ivory really repels chalk buildup and the
ferrules remain perfectly clean and retain the white sheen & luster only ivory ferrules provide, plus
the great acoustical sound of the cue stroke (ping) and the unique feel it also imparts......go with ivory.

Matt B.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#7)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

07-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
The best tip for cleaning ferrules is really to just always use ferrules that resist chalk & remain clean.
That's one of the reasons my pool cues have ivory ferrules. Ivory really repels chalk buildup and the
ferrules remain perfectly clean and retain the white sheen & luster only ivory ferrules provide, plus
the great acoustical sound of the cue stroke (ping) and the unique feel it also imparts......go with ivory.
Matt B.
Now, Matt. You know that Ivory is fragile and won't stand the abuse that man-made ferrules will.
And, besides. They smell like elephant.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

Old
  (#8)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-10-2016, 12:12 PM

The best way to have a clean ferrule.....
...is to learn how to &@$%# chalk....

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#9)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

07-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp Steamer View Post
Best trick ever for cleaning up a ferrule.
Drop by a hobby store and buy a small plastic squeeze bottle with screw on cap. A couple of bucks tops.
While you're out, stop at the grocery store and buy a bottle of Soft Scrub, preferably without bleach. One bottle will be a lifetime supply.
Fill the small bottle with Soft Scrub and keep it on your work bench.
For those of you with lathes, chuck the shaft up as per usual and cut off the old tip with a knife.
Using the small bottle of Soft Scrub squeeze out one drop onto the ferrule, keeping it off the wood of the shaft, and spread it around the dirty ferrule with your finger. Turn on the lathe and with a folded paper towel and medium pressure, draw the towel toward the end where the tip was. Once is usually enough, but if the chalk stain is severe you made need to do it twice.
With a drop of spit (or water) rinse off the ferrule and wipe dry with a clean paper towel and it will be shining like a diamond in a goats ass.
Now, you can face off a new surface on the end of the ferrule and install your new tip.
That sounds like good advice, Tramp, but how do you know what a diamond in a goat's ass looks like? [Could be a pretty good story there.]

Old
  (#10)
Keith E.
AzB Silver Member
Keith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond repute

07-11-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
The best way to have a clean ferrule.....
...is to learn how to &@$%# chalk....
Yes to ^^^^.......and wipe the tip off before putting the shaft back in the case.

Keith

Old
  (#11)
Tooler
Inside Engrish Prease
Tooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

07-11-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
That sounds like good advice, Tramp, but how do you know what a diamond in a goat's ass looks like? [Could be a pretty good story there.]

Here ya go .......
Attached Images

--------------------------------------------------------------
Playing cues: Big-Pin Ivory Scruggs
Judd Wrapless (Still the All Time Fav).
Cue Case: Whitten 2x4
Tip: Searing (Hard)
Fav shaft: Gulyassy SPTX(whip it good)

Old
  (#12)
Scaramouche
AzB Silver Member
Scaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond reputeScaramouche has a reputation beyond repute

07-11-2016, 07:35 AM

A very educational thread!

But did you really want to learn about the subject?

Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad

Old
  (#13)
nfuids
eh?

07-11-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
A very educational thread!

But did you really want to learn about the subject?
I have not had time to carefully review everything in this thread just yet. Will read ecerything for sure!! I'm always looking for advice and new method for maintaining my cues!!

Thanks a lot!

Predator Air Jump 2

Old
  (#14)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.

07-11-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfuids View Post
I have not had time to carefully review everything in this thread just yet. Will read ecerything for sure!! I'm always looking for advice and new method for maintaining my cues!!
Thanks a lot!

That's the beauty of this place. You always get more than you ask for.
Ferrule cleaning, diamonds, goat's asses. We got it all.

Old
  (#15)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

07-11-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
Yes to ^^^^.......and wipe the tip off before putting the shaft back in the case.

Keith
+10

I can't believe how clean my shafts stay since I started cleaning off the tip before putting the shaft in the case (two years ago and I haven't had to clean the shaft since).

The more I practice, the luckier I get. --- Gary Player

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. --- Abraham Lincoln

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers. --- Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: