gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
West Coast Challenge 10b.

$10K added, 5K 1st, and something like
4K, 3K, 2K, for 2-4th place.

That isn't bad at all for a cheap entry, but
all they could muster is 45 entries.

I understand traveling is expensive, but tournaments in Cali used to easily field 100+ players easy. 45 entries is LOW. Where are the locals?

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member

I understand traveling is expensive, but tournaments in Cali used to easily field 100+ players easy. 45 entries is LOW. Where are the locals?

Wow, 45 Entries is Shameful for $10k added. Enjoy it Now. It may be the last at Calfiornia Billiards or any other Major Pool Hall in Northern California.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Its summer

45 man field for that kind of prize money is very low even for summer. My question would be who came up with the added money because that person is hurting and you're likely not to see that again. What was the entry fee? From the payouts it should have been around 500 which probably kept a lot of players at bay as well.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of the east coast guys aren't here and some haven't signed up for the Vegas tourneys either. Sponsors don't feel like footing the bill or something?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
No tour, no player sponsors, very few stake horses left, the best players are from out of the U.S., and most of the purse money goes out of the country. Prices for air fare, hotel/motels, food have sky rocketed. Pool has just been hanging on a thread for many years now. No TV or Legal Gambling. No young kids want to learn the game. Dead is about right. Johnnyt

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard on the stream a lot went to the funeral of Brenden Crockket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm not saying that this is the fault of the promoter of this event but I think promoters should be using social media like Facebook to advertise their events. I'm not talking about putting out a flyer on their webpage and just leaving it hang there.

Promoters have to promote and that means work. Some don't want to do the work and the results are what they are.

Some of the live streamers do a good job of promoting the events they are streaming while others seem to think that if I stream it, they will watch. That isn't true either.

I think promoting a pool event is a lot more work than most people want to do.

JoeyA

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I never would have known of this event if it had not shown up on my YouTube feed. When the one pocket finished, I didn't know there would be a 10 ball event today. They might have mentioned it over commentary, but I had the sound off.

More than a few pro tournaments come and go and I never know about them.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Absolutely True

Since numbers of competitive players are lower anything you do has to consistent and over a long time. We used to have several tour directors in NC. Now were down to 1 and he has to travel over a wide area but he's been consistent and he continues to draw interest.

The accomplished player is on the decrease that is for sure and its become very telling the last 3 yrs.

I'm not saying that this is the fault of the promoter of this event but I think promoters should be using social media like Facebook to advertise their events. I'm not talking about putting out a flyer on their webpage and just leaving it hang there.

Promoters have to promote and that means work. Some don't want to do the work and the results are what they are.

Some of the live streamers do a good job of promoting the events they are streaming while others seem to think that if I stream it, they will watch. That isn't true either.

I think promoting a pool event is a lot more work than most people want to do.

JoeyA

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool's not dead or dying

There's nothing wrong with Pool, well not at the amateur level. Pool has become an Amateur Sport in this country. BCA and APA ranks are full, they might have as many young players and women as they would like, but they are trying to figure that out too.

Pro-Level Pool, yea there's a problem, mostly with the American players, they have killed the game as it once was and it might not come back, unless someone with a lot of Money and a Love for the game dumps a ton of cash in and buys a organization to manage it.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a point of reference...,

why do you think pro American players killed the game, how

In this country the Pro players have not endeared themselves to the public or the amateur players the way they do in other country's, it seems to be SVB and SVB only. Very few other if any American players seem to have much of a reputation worth mentioning and most of their games are not up pair with the international community.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
In this country the Pro players have not endeared themselves to the public or the amateur players the way they do in other country's, it seems to be SVB and SVB only. Very few other if any American players seem to have much of a reputation worth mentioning and most of their games are not up pair with the international community.

explain what you mean by endeared themselves to the public

please

No tour, no player sponsors, very few stake horses left, the best players are from out of the U.S., and most of the purse money goes out of the country. Prices for air fare, hotel/motels, food have sky rocketed. Pool has just been hanging on a thread for many years now. No TV or Legal Gambling. No young kids want to learn the game. Dead is about right. Johnnyt

This is all very sad, and I believe everything that you said.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Lack of marketing. If CSI were promoting this, it would have had a waitlist.

Last edited: