Anyone Have Updated USA Mosconi Cup Points After Last Weekend

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Last weekend had two Mosconi Cup Points events - Olathe and the West Coast Challenge.

Anyone have a calculation on the current point totals for US men? Thanks

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If I'm reading the MC web site right, they are WAY behind on the updates. They have points only for the first 8 tournaments. Sorry, no help. Johnnyt

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Yeah that's why I was hoping someone did the calculations.

I guess Matchroom has been too busy trying to find some no name table to be their sponsor and official table for the event.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last weekend had two Mosconi Cup Points events - Olathe and the West Coast Challenge.

Anyone have a calculation on the current point totals for US men? Thanks

I can't give an accurate points list yet, as I don't know (a) whether the points for the West Coast Challenge will be reduced because of the small field (just 45 players) and (b) who finished in 5th through 24th place at the Midwest 9-Ball event.

Robb Saez was first in Olathe, which probably moved him into the top dozen. Sky Woodward finished 3rd in Olathe, which probably moved him into 4th place. Oscar Dominguez was 7th/8th in the West Coast Challenge, whereas Rodney Morris was 17th/24th, so Oscar gained some ground on Rodney, but will remain in 2nd. So I think the top 7 now probably will be:

1. Rodney Morris
2. Oscar Dominguez
3. Mike Dechaine
4. Skyler Woodward
5. Shaun Wilkie
6. Shane Van Boening
7. Hunter Lombardo

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I'm reading the MC web site right, they are WAY behind on the updates. They have points only for the first 8 tournaments. Sorry, no help. Johnnyt

It's up to date through all 10 points events prior to the two that finished yesterday..

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I can't give an accurate points list yet, as I don't know (a) whether the points for the West Coast Challenge will be reduced because of the small field (just 45 players) and (b) who finished in 5th through 24th place at the Midwest 9-Ball event.

Robb Saez was first in Olathe, which probably moved him into the top dozen. Sky Woodward finished 3rd in Olathe, which probably moved him into 4th place. Oscar Dominguez was 7th/8th in the West Coast Challenge, whereas Rodney Morris was 17th/24th, so Oscar gained some ground on Rodney, but will remain in 2nd. So I think the top 7 now probably will be:

1. Rodney Morris
2. Oscar Dominguez
3. Mike Dechaine
4. Skyler Woodward
5. Shaun Wilkie
6. Shane Van Boening
7. Hunter Lombardo

Changing the points based on field size is simply dumb. If Matchroom chose a wrong event to host a point event, then so be it. The players that showed up shouldn't be penalized because others didn't show up, the tournament was poorly executed or advertised.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Ok looks like the points have been updated

Morris 138
Dominquez 133
Dechaine 114
Woodward 92
Wilkie 83
Van Boening 80
Lombardo 71
McMinn 56
Deuel 50
Saez 50

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
Too bad Dechaine absolutely falls apart at the Mosconi cup, it is a train wreck year after year. Morris does better, but still seems to be far too amped up about the event to put in his best games there.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Too bad Dechaine absolutely falls apart at the Mosconi cup, it is a train wreck year after year. Morris does better, but still seems to be far too amped up about the event to put in his best games there.

So what does Mark Wilson do if it remains as it is now

1. Morris
2. Oscar
3. Dechaine

That leaves two spots for what I see are the next best 3 candidates: SVB, Sky, Bergman

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
So what does Mark Wilson do if it remains as it is now

1. Morris
2. Oscar
3. Dechaine

That leaves two spots for what I see are the next best 3 candidates: SVB, Sky, Bergman

No doubt, it's a difficult decision.

However, last years inclusion of Sky and Bergman were very positive for not only solid play, but also injecting a bit of alligator blood into the shooters and some more level personalities at the table. It was the first time in the past 5 or so years that i've felt the captain chose players based around the team and not a group of individuals .

While I understand that those short races can amp a player up quite a bit, it seems to me that the European players have managed to temper that emotion while shooting, yet provide stable support to teammates when not in-match. In years past it seems that the (perhaps an over generalization) boisterous American players have allowed that energy to consume their game while at the table. (note: Not speaking about every player on the roster, just about 1/2 of the Americans)

IMHO this has destabilized the American team from providing more consistent results when those particular players are shooting in the singles matches. A bit of a feast or famine result if you will, putting more pressure on those who have had any consistency to cover for their overly dramatic and under-performing teammates.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't see Bergman on the list. Wilkie is ahead of SVB. Either do it based on merit or dont.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Don't see Bergman on the list. Wilkie is ahead of SVB. Either do it based on merit or dont.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

But that is not how it is set up -- first 3 are point winners. Last two are captain picks. I guess when you own Matchroom you can set it up however you want.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
MC has become the biggest joke in pool. Points for BB and 8 ball WTF. Johnnyt

PS: And I love BB pool too.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok looks like the points have been updated

Morris 138
Dominquez 133
Dechaine 114
Woodward 92
Wilkie 83
Van Boening 80
Lombardo 71
McMinn 56
Deuel 50
Saez 50

This means that Matchroom did not award any points for 17th/24th or 25th/32nd places in the West Coast Challenge 10-Ball event. In other words, because of field size, they awarded points to only the top 16 places instead of the top 32. Half of those top 16 places were occupied by players ineligible for Team USA, so only 8 players received points from that event.

Two MC Team contenders, Rodney Morris and Tony Chohan, finished 17th/24th.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There ya go Johnnyt...something else you can b!tch about. Thought you were gonna quit your badmouthing behavior last New Years. For sure, that's the biggest joke on this forum. It's a patriotic event, no matter who plays or wins. 'Member what yer momma used to tell you? If you don't have anything nice to say about it...keep yer lid shut.

Scott Lee
http:/poolknowledge.com

MC has become the biggest joke in pool. Points for BB and 8 ball WTF. Johnnyt

PS: And I love BB pool too.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sorry I can't be like you and hang from anyone's in the industry's nuts and get your ad for fool school in every chance you get. Johnnyt

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll say it again; for the American side to have a real chance in the Mosconi we need to make our team from the best players in North America. Europe has over twice the population of North America. If we can add Alex and Morra to our team it becomes an equal match-up. JMHO as always :cool: