Ever win or lose by a "Lucky Shot"

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah... the lucky shot... completely miss-hit, balls bouncing everywhere and bang the nine ball drops in. Or the eight...

Over on 3CushionBilliards.com Andy Janquitto covered what players have been calling this "fluke" (that's one) here in the US and around the world since the very first players stepped up to the table. Whether in a pool room or on a 3-cushion table the "slop shot" (that's another) has been both a frustration and at times a saving grace.

Check out what this ever-present part of our game has come to be called around the world. It'll put a smile on your face the next time you make one yourself... or even if your opponent does!

Linky: Of Flukes, Clucks, Chimbas and Puppies: The beauty and bane of the lucky shot

And let us know if Andy missed any... or if you have some local folklore to share...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
And let us know if Andy missed any... or if you have some local folklore to share...
I had my best performance in an 8-ball tournament a couple of decades ago in a race to 4.

Down 1-0, my opponent broke dry and I ran out the set. But my second break and run, I fired the 8-ball, it jawed, bounced across the table, and back into the original called pocket.

I'm sure my opponent still remembers it today.

Freddie <~~~ hooray for slop, but this was a fluke

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two weeks ago, the opponent had an easy short shot into the corner and his last ball tied up with two others near the other side of the short rail. He jacked up to try to draw for a breakout but the cueball jumped on the rail for about 18 inches and dropped right into the cluster.

He got out from there.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Who among us would deny they have never been either blessed with a fluke or cursed by one from an opponent? ;)

Scott Frost did exactly this on the air during the Big Dogs one pocket tournament in Des Moines. Claimed he has never gotten a role, and that himself and Robb Saez are the unluckiest pool players alive.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've been beat by a fluke.....but I had a whale of a time.

image.jpg

boosaboos

Registered
Last night 9 Ball CPA
First 2 Racks, I shot the 3 ball in to corner pocket, I miss it by 5 inches the 3 ball ran around the table managed to dodge the other balls, hit the 9 and cut it into the pocket.

2nd rack, I run the table out down to the last two balls 8 and 9, I shot the 8 ball in the corner pocket, made it, the cue ball travels around the table, and hits the 9 straight into the opposite corner pocket.

I said sorry both times.

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
A few days ago I'm in a gambling match/session.

I was giving some weight, 2 to 9! I beat him 9-7 and then 9-3! We renegotiate and he was asking for way too much,,,, 5 to 11! I told him I couldn't but I felt bad and gave it to him as long as he promised to play 3 to 10 if he won, he said yes!

So there I am,,, I won 2 games in a row and on the 9,,, shoot it and the 9 skids leaving it in the jaws! 6-2 him! He smashes them, shits in 3 balls beforing shitting the 9,,, 7-2!

I win the next game, 7-3! I break dry he comes, one shot,,,, yup he gets the 9! 8-4! He breaks and runs,,,9-4! He breaks dry, I run out, 9-5! I put a 3 pack, 9-8 him! I break dry, and he caromed and easy 9! 10-9 him,,,, here is where it get interesting;)

He breaks dry, but the 9 goes right in the corner pocket comin to a stop against the facing of the pocket, of you breath on it, it drops! I have a very clear shot on the 1 but very tough to play safe! I was less than 2 ft away from the one which was basically parked in the middle of the table. I figured if I draw the ball into the 9, I would probably scratch right behind it because it was just waiting to be dropped!

I hit the one, the cue ball, with ever so perfect speed goes right towards the 9. I could tell I hit it so good that I wasn't gonna scratch. Cue balls rolling towards the 9,,, goes passed the 9, and scratches!

He gets ball in hand, 1-9 combo and I lost! Let me tell us, I've some some crazy things, but that was one of my best experiences!

I love this game! Wish I was good at it though:(

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the fluke or lucky shot extends way beyond making a ball. It includes things like a miss that leaves your opponent in jail (not a two way shot, but just a plain miss) and losing control of the CB just to have it sail around the table, break out your problem cluster and leave you perfect on a ball.

I've certainly benefitted from both of those on more than one occasion. When it happens to me, I assume my opponent did it on purpose - but when I do it, I KNOW what I intended!

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I have a team mate, let's call him Melvin (mostly because his name is Melvin) who
has made fluking a ball in into an art form. Don't get me wrong, he shoots pretty darn
good aswell, a solid A player on his good days.

But, he generally likes to hit them pretty firm so when he does miss it gives him a fighting
chance for a fluke. We play an 8-ball league where you don't have to call your shots.

Melvin has 3 stripes left, they are all in the same half of the table but none are near a pocket.
He tries to shoot one in the middle, flukes that ball in a different pocket and in the same shot
knocks both of his other balls in. He didn't land great on the 8 so he felt a little unlucky....

gr. Dave

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just a D+ and a "3" in APA but I decided to try my hand at the "challenge the Pro" booth at the Expo. I paid $20 to play Mica Immonen in a race to two. I came very close to winning the match, (I only won the first but came very close in the second) It was totally by luck, his bad luck not my good luck. He scratched on the nine and I spotted it with ball in hand. As lucky as it was I can always say I beat a pro.
In the second game he scratched on the break. I pulled a good safety where he could only get the extreme edge of the one and missed. When he came up to shoot I said "you're on two". He made the ball and the cue just barely missed scratching by a few millimeters!! He then ran the table!!

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing in a singles tournament, Winner takes the round, but I only need 7 balls to win. Break and run out 6 and can't pocket my last ball.

Opponent safes me and hooks me behind his ball with both my cb and ob almost frozen in the middle of each short rail.

I call a table long jump bank. I hit it and make the bank...in the opposite pocket I had called, to win the match.

p.s, every other player watching told me later, that since my ball was covering a pocket and I just couldn't get to it, I should have comboed my opponents ball into mine for the win on the initial run.