Old cloth vs. New cloth

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does new cloth play more forgiving around the pockets than old cloth?

The joint I play at has recently put new cloth (I believe it's Simonis) on some of their 9' tables, and I'm noticing a big difference in potting balls now.

The cloth that was on these tables was many years old and quite worn. So worn in fact that it was hard to draw the ball because the spin just wouldn't grab. But the pockets also played a lot more difficult with the old cloth.

I've heard Ken and Jay mention this when they're doing commentary, that new cloth plays a little more forgiving in terms of potting balls, and now I have experienced this.

My question is, why?

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
New cloth slides. Less friction. Worn cloth grabs. More friction.

The difference you recognized in draw on worn vs new cloth is actually because the cue ball loses its spin on the way to the object ball more on worn cloth than new cloth. It's harder to keep the draw on the cue ball.

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New cloth slides. Less friction. Worn cloth grabs. More friction.

The difference you recognized in draw on worn vs new cloth is actually because the cue ball loses its spin on the way to the object ball more on worn cloth than new cloth. It's harder to keep the draw on the cue ball.

Okay that's interesting. I had actually thought the opposite, because the old cloth grabs less, not more.

So why then do balls pot easier on new cloth?

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
They slide into the hole. The lesser friction doesn't impart contact induced spin on the object ball that can cause it to rattle out.

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They slide into the hole. The lesser friction doesn't impart contact induced spin on the object ball that can cause it to rattle out.

Hmm. I had thought it was the complete opposite. I'm very surprised at how big of a difference it makes now that I've compared them myself in real time. It really changes the way I have to approach certain shots.

Thanks.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The cloth that was on these tables was many years old and quite worn. So worn in fact that it was hard to draw the ball because the spin just wouldn't grab. But the pockets also played a lot more difficult with the old cloth.

My question is, why?

Usually, it's harder to draw on old cloth because the cloth is loose...on contact, the object
ball slips, not giving enough back pressure to the cue ball.

...and spin doesn't stay on the cue ball when the cloth is loose.

If the worn cloth was re-stretched, I have found that it is easier to draw on old cloth....
....assuming it has been vacuumed.

On dirty cloth, it's hard to do anything at a high level.