Anyone Else having problems at the BCA

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of our finest players Kevin west got forfeited for the second time in 2 yrs only 2 matches he's forfieted in his life this time because , he went to his assigned table a couple minutes late , the online board showed his opponents match was still in progress he waited there till past the given time and went back to the scorers table only to find out the matched was moved to another table leaving him forfeiting the match ,
On a side note his friend played a players who's Fargo rating got lowered 60 points , to 580 , guy broke and ran 4-6 racks ,,obviously the guy had a low robust number :rolleyes:

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
sounds like your friend didn;t learn his lesson the first time. when i played at the open or any large tourney i tried to show up a little early. after all what was the main reason for entering a big tourney; to play in the tourney. any other distractions would just have to wait.

personal responsibility seems to be at an all time low.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
sounds like your friend didn;t learn his lesson the first time. when i played at the open or any large tourney i tried to show up a little early. after all what was the main reason for entering a big tourney; to play in the tourney. any other distractions would just have to wait.

::::tap tap tap::::

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ROALMAO ,, Ya cause certainly the dictatorship never makes mistakes ,, it's not Kevin's first Rodeo he's played in hundreds of events and usually goes very deep ,, he went to his table at the time he was supposed to be there , if he went to the scores table instead he would not have made it to his assigned table

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Your original post was not very clear. But from your second post do I understand
correctly that Kevin was at the table he was supposed to play at on time? Then when
his opponent did not show up he went back to the scores table and found out his
match had been moved to a different table?

gr. Dave

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Is that K. West from DELMARVA tour?
Sounds like he got screwed.
Appologies might be in order from some of the above posts.
And a reverse tap tap tap.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
let me see, i have previously had to forfeit a match, no matter when it was, and this time when i arrive at my table and my opponent is not their, i leave. ok ... unless there is some other info, well "once bitten, twice shy ..." or insert your own cliche.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let me see, i have previously had to forfeit a match, no matter when it was, and this time when i arrive at my table and my opponent is not their, i leave. ok ... unless there is some other info, well "once bitten, twice shy ..." or insert your own cliche.

Just because there is a switch to light does not mean it's bright

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Nothing like from the horse's own mouth!!!

Based on this, they changed the table or time and "NEVER" notified the player of the change. End result is??? A high number of forfeits and shenanigans.

I hate hearing stories like this, especially since "Ozzy" knows the character of the person involved and the behavior of forfeiting matches is certainly not his "M-O"

KD

Attachments

• 13701218_172183576527853_75734974610938547_o.jpg
    13701218_172183576527853_75734974610938547_o.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 937

JC

Coos Cues

Based on this, they changed the table or time and "NEVER" notified the player of the change. End result is??? A high number of forfeits and shenanigans.

I hate hearing stories like this, especially since "Ozzy" knows the character of the person involved and the behavior of forfeiting matches is certainly not his "M-O"

KD

Don't they announce the player's name over the loudspeaker that they are on the clock and what table they are needed at prior to forfeiting? And doesn't the actual clock start at that announcement? That's what I have always observed from Bad Boys. If not then Kevin got screwed. If so then he should have known to listen for his name once his match time arrived and he was confused about where to be.

JC

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
"Ozzy's" facebook response! Only fair to post both since I see them!!!

(Ozzy Reynolds)

"So, here is what I found: Kevin's match was scored at 3:01. Kevin's opponent's match was scored at 3:02. At 3:02, the scoresheet was printed and placed in the slot for table 105. Kevin's opponent took the scoresheet sometime after 3:02 and proceeded to table 105. Kevin was not present so a referee was summoned to the table. At that time, the referee calls out "Kevin West" in a loud voice. Kevin was not present and was placed on the clock. 15 minutes later, the referee returns and again calls out "Kevin West." Kevin was not present and was forfeited per procedure.

The heart of Kevin's issue is that he says the bracket had not advanced his opponent and therefore, he assumed his match was not ready. I have never seen that happen but I am asking our programmer if that can be verified. Even if it did, we have written the procedures to protect players against any type of computer glitch or delay. If you remain at your assigned table, you cannot ever be forfeited. Even if you were on the clock and had no idea, you would be present when the referee calls your name.

This is an exact excerpt for the Tournament Regulations: " TIP! One of the most common causes of forfeits is when no score sheet is in the slot and the player incorrectly assumes that the assigned table is not available. Often, the player will wait for the score sheet at the Tournament Director’s desk or walk away and come back later. Meanwhile, the opponent may have already picked up the score sheet and has been waiting at the table. After 15 minutes, the player who is still waiting at the desk or has walked away is forfeited. Do not let this happen to you! Remember, you cannot be forfeited if you are at your assigned table."

It's not perfect and sometimes there could be technical glitches with the brackets but if the procedures are followed, you can never ever be forfeited."

KD

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It definitely sounds like he took one with no lube. BCAPL makes it pretty obvious they want you to use their computers or the brackets online, if those are not updated properly the fault lands squarely on the BCAPL. I have never been to the BCA nationals but at the state tournaments a player does not get "put on the clock" until one player notifies an official his opponent is late. Some people will call a ref over if their opponent is not there by 3:00.05 for a 3:00 match, I usually wait 5-10 minutes before I will bring a ref over to notify my opponent is late, I dont wanna send someone home by forfeit, beating my opponent at the table makes me feel like I have earned the rightto still be in.

CSI Media

CueSports International
Silver Member
Response

This is Ozzy's response on Facebook.

Ozzy Reynolds: First, I know Kevin and I would never question his character. He is one of the most honest and respectable people I know. I understand his frustration so I have been personally digging into this. We dug through the thousands of scoresheets and found the one in question. At 3:12, he was not present when the referee called his name and he was placed on the clock. 15 minutes later at 3:27, the referee called his name again and he was still not present. He was then forfeited. The referee was interviewed and verified all of this.

From what Kevin wrote, his confusion was caused by the bracket not showing an opponent for him. Sometimes, technical glitches can cause a delay in the updating of the brackets...especially on a mobile device in a building with a weak signal. Therefore, we have procedures in place to circumvent that. It is quite simple...if your match is scheduled for a certain time, be at the table at that time and do not leave.

Out of tens of thousands of matches that we will have over the course of this event, the percentage of forfeits will be extremely small and many of those will be the result of people being delayed by Southwest Airlines.

So, I feel bad for Kevin because I know that he is a stand-up guy. Being forfeited is terrible. However, after spending a good amount of time personally looking into this, our staff and his opponent followed the correct procedures. If I had found any errors in the handling of this, I would take corrective action.

Kevin West: Posting a scoresheet is stating the obvious. Everyone knows I got forfeited. Thanks for the update and answers. Ozzy, you've known me long enough to know that I wouldn't make this up. You can stand by your system and I'll stand by what I've posted. It's obvious you think I'm lying. This isn't personal. Myself and others have paid and traveled to attend this event only to be disappointed with the organization of this establishment. As a coordinator, instead of battling and questioning every aspect of what I'm saying, you really should take a step back and ask yourself how to improve what is obviously failing. How do you ensure someone doesn't pick up a scorecard and leave for 15 mins and then forfeit the opponent. You should really take my suggestion and try to work on creating a better system rather than taking the negative approach.

Ozzy Reynolds: Kevin, I would never imply that you would lie. You are not that type of person. I have known you for a long time and you have always been a class act. You are correct that this is not personal at all. I have a staff of about 80 people to manage but I took several hours out of my day yesterday to personally look into this and respond. You stated that you were walking back and forth between the TD desk and table 105. That was the mistake. You were likely not in the room both times that your name was called by the referee. That is why we state in the regulations that players should simply stay at the table and not leave. I'm terribly sorry this happened to you but I could find no mistake from our referee or your opponent. They both did what they were supposed to do. The problem is that you were simply not present. If you or anyone else has good ideas for how to improve that process without slowing down the event, I am always willing to listen. Again, I'm sorry this happened to you. I truly am.

Attachments

• KW1.png
    KW1.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 907
  • KW2.png
    KW2.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 912

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
(Kevin West) Facebook Response!!!

Obviously you didn't read my post thoroughly. I'm not asking to be ushered anywhere. I want to know why two players are still being listed as having a match going on yet a scoresheet can be processed and printed for my match? Neither player had been declared a winner. It's obvious there's a problem with the system because there's several other forfeits too. My situation has nothing to do with a rule book.

KD

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Do we know who the wonderful person who called for a ref that quickly was?

You play in a tournament to best your fellow players, not to get "F's"

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some reason I love this.

I probably would too if Kevin was not a friend of mne ,,

First they say they want you to use their system ,, one that obviously has glitches, very predictable ones at that ,, but then you should stay at the table ,, humm why does this only aply to Kevin and not his opponent why didn't he stay at the table , why didn't they tell him to wait at the table when they put Kevin on the clock if that's infact what they tell you to do ,,

Now I know they can't afford 9ft tables for the pro's but you would think they could afford a better system than a guy yelling Kevin's name across the room not once but twice dam

Then it take several hours to find out what really happed , Ya Ok

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KD

Perhaps a better way to do it would have been to check in with the referee on table 105 - the same official the opponent told to start the clock - instead of assuming there was a match taking place and leaving.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Maybe this question has been addressed before, but if they are trying to get players to use a smartphone app, that would indicate to me that they should have been able to call/text the player in the event of a table/schedule change, as opposed to yelling out his name in a crowded room.

Am I missing something? Probably....

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He arrived at the designated table on time, and his match was forfeited at 3:27. How long would it take to walk back and forth between the table and tournament desk?