Lasik Question

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For everybody's information I searched on Lasik. I found a lot of threads and read through some of them. A lot of the responses were that Lasik helped. However, I don't recall seeing anyone post a response to this question, which in my mind is the main reason I am asking about Lasik here.

DID IT HELP YOUR POOL GAME? DID YOU GET BETTER? DID YOU SEE THE ANGLES BETTER? DID YOU BECOME BETTER AT CUT SHOTS?

And yes, I suppose somewhere in some of those threads somebody talked about this but I didn't want to have to read and read and read through umpteen threads.

r/DCP

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some people who wear glasses have a hard time looking over the frames when they get low for a shot. They either have to look over the glasses or through at an angle. Lasik would solve this dilemma. I had Lasik done about 8 years ago and I can't count the advantages of not having to wear glasses.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people who wear glasses have a hard time looking over the frames when they get low for a shot. They either have to look over the glasses or through at an angle. Lasik would solve this dilemma. I had Lasik done about 8 years ago and I can't count the advantages of not having to wear glasses.

Did it make you a better pool player? Or just less inconvenience?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For everybody's information I searched on Lasik. I found a lot of threads and read through some of them. A lot of the responses were that Lasik helped. However, I don't recall seeing anyone post a response to this question, which in my mind is the main reason I am asking about Lasik here.

DID IT HELP YOUR POOL GAME? DID YOU GET BETTER? DID YOU SEE THE ANGLES BETTER? DID YOU BECOME BETTER AT CUT SHOTS?

And yes, I suppose somewhere in some of those threads somebody talked about this but I didn't want to have to read and read and read through umpteen threads.

r/DCP
You'll find my posts. Whatever you do , don't do it just because you think it will help your pool game. Do it for other reasons.

Freddie <~~~ LASIK for life

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive thought about getting the eye surgery, but to be honest I still dont trust it. I know its now well tested, low problem rates etc...... but I value my eyes, and contacts arent that big of an inconvenience to me. ;):thumbup:

NightLife

Registered
Ask your doctor about "Crystal Lens" before having Lasik.

Much more expensive but you get what you pay for.

NightLife

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did it make you a better pool player? Or just less inconvenience?

It didn't improve my game much. I didn't have the issue with the eyeglass frames because I was wearing contacts. My body started rejecting the contacts and, rather than go to glasses, I elected to have the surgery...best money I ever spent.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

Ask Efren.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
" I found a lot of threads and read through some of them"

"I didn't want to have to read and read and read through umpteen threads."

Reminds me so much of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvr1KEeE3Lw&t=3m23s

r/DCP

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
I recently got glasses because the balls were getting fuzzy. The glasses make everything nice and clear, but they change things. The balls look huge and it changes your depth perception. I think I play as good or better without them.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Lasik is just one type of treatment, there is also PRK, and cataract surgery which can achieve the same results. So, it's not a cure all just like advising inside english on all shots.

Whats your age and strength of your prescription? Do you know if are far sighted, near sighted (myopia), and or have astigmatism?

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got glasses because the balls were getting fuzzy. The glasses make everything nice and clear, but they change things. The balls look huge and it changes your depth perception. I think I play as good or better without them.

It's funny that you should post this, I have the same situation when I go from glasses to contacts. (Both for nearsightedness) I'm sure if I stuck with it I'd adapt, but in the interim it sure messes with your shotmaking "recognition"

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's vision correction surgery... they don't implant bionic angle finders or aiming aides.

If your corrected vision now doesn't include physical impediments (having to work around frame line-of-sight issues, lens distortion, etc) then you can't realistically expect any effect on your pool game. Comfortable contact lenses offered me the same pool results.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get LASEK instead of LASIK.

LASEK is more like sanding your eyes down to get it right.

LASIK is more like cutting it and then sealing the cut.

Some people see halos at night when they get LASIK done because their pupils dilate beyond the diameter of the incisions.

I had LASEK done and it's fantastic. It took me a while to make the decision, but that's the way I went.

One thing is that the LASEK healing time is a bit longer than LASIK.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see how it will "make you better" but I'm sure it will help, as someone mentioned the big thing is seeing the balls (edge) clearer but putting pirelli on your car don't make you a better driver. I have a pair of shooting glasses and that was a big help as far as getting around the regular frame problem people mention. Contact are not exactly the answer for me because of they don't come in as many increment as glass does and i kind of fall between, I don't play on doing some kind of surgery down the road keeping in mind that it's something i'd have to do down the road if i want to keep up with that vision until i run out of chances. (depending on the amount they have to cut you may only have one change at getting your vision corrected, as you get older and eyesight fades again you will have to redo the procedure, or not)

Tbone10

Registered
Got lasik as soon as I turned 18. Haven't had any problems and was seeing 20/20 the very next morning after the operation. Maybe had dry eyes for a month or 2 but not enough to really bother me. So much easier now when playing pool, riding motorcycles, camping, swimming etc.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Age is a factor... Lasek several years I ago and it rocks!
But get around fifty and the "focus muscles" are, well, fifty years old.
I see pretty well without, but have glasses again now. (But really less prescription)

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Age is a factor... Lasek several years I ago and it rocks!
But get around fifty and the "focus muscles" are, well, fifty years old.
I see pretty well without, but have glasses again now. (But really less prescription)

My doctor also said I'm going to need reading glasses after a certain age regardless and eye surgery won't help anymore

kcnate66

C Speed
I had a bad astigmatism and was seeing a halo around the object balls, so I literally was shooting from muscle memory only. After the edge of the object ball is crisp and clear. I do get dry eye pretty bad but I'm still less than a year out from the surgery. It can take up to a full year for the severed nerve endings to completely heal.