1995: Efren Reyes history-making shot you will love if you’ve never seen it before

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even Efren’s opponent, Strickland loved it and knew this remarkable shot meant victory for Efren. Score was 12-12 in race-to-13 final. Efren was in deep trouble and came with this zigzag beauty (the now-famous Z-shot from 1995’s Sands Regency Open 9-ball).

https://youtu.be/a6G_RnPh1yw

A sheer dazzler that received a standing ovation from all the lucky folks in attendance.
Earl’s sportsmanship on this occasion was almost as remarkable as Efren's shot. Earl later told a billiards magazine reporter: “That shot will become part of pool history."

Arnaldo

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I think we should repost a link to this video each year on the anniversary of Efren's shot. It may be the most famous shot in the history of pool.

IIRC, I believe Earl said that Keith McCready once made this shot against him before Efren did as well.

asiasdad

Banned
Each time this shot gets posted I will watch it 3-5 times
and never get tired of it. I agree with posting it on each anniversary.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even his opponent, Strickland loved it and knew this remarkable shot meant victory for Efren. Score was 12-12 in race-to-13 final. Efren was in deep trouble and came with this zigzag beauty. A sheer dazzler that received a standing ovation from all the lucky folks in attendance.

Earl’s sportsmanship on this occasion was almost as remarkable as Efren's shot. Earl later told a billiards magazine reporter: “That shot will become part of pool history."

Arnaldo

If that shot happened against Earl now, he probably would storm out yelling "lucky shot".

In reality, that was definitely a great shot, but Efren did have to get somewhat lucky to hit the ball in the exactly correct spot

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that shot happened against Earl now, he probably would storm out yelling "lucky shot".

In reality that was definitely a great shot, but Efren did have to get somewhat lucky to hit the ball in the exactly correct spot
WC: If you listen the post-match interview with Efren at the 4:14 point of the Z-shot clip in my post #1:

. . . you hear Efren himself acknowledge (with his characteristic and admirable modesty) that some luck was obviously involved, but his always-present ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness were big factors in this humble genius's *envisioning* of a possibility that few other players might have perceived under the circumstances (and then go on to skillfully execute).

Only a ten-percent pocketing possibility for sure, and as he said, he was realistically just hoping for a good hit that would leave Earl somewhat safe (if possible) after CB/OB contact.

Arnaldo

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WC: If you listen the post-match interview with Efren at the 4:14 point of the Z-shot clip in my post #1:

. . . you hear Efren himself acknowledge (with his characteristic and admirable modesty) that some luck was obviously involved, but his always-present ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness were big factors in this humble genius's *envisioning* of a possibility that few other players might have perceived under the circumstances (and then go on to skillfully execute).

Only a ten-percent pocketing possibility for sure, and as he said, he was realistically just hoping for a good hit that would leave Earl somewhat safe (if possible) after CB/OB contact.

Arnaldo
I totally agree that it took enormous ability to even hit the ball. Efren is such a smart player