Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Can we be honest about cues?
Page 5 of 7 « First 345 67

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-27-2017, 07:33 AM

One night after league about 10 years ago, a few of my teammates and I were standing around the pool table talking. The guy who had just finished his match had his cue laying on the table along with several balls. I asked him if I could shoot the balls off the table with his cue, to which he said yes. I picked up his cue and proceeded to shoot the balls. The first time I struck the cue ball it felt like it literally exploded off the tip of the cue. I then shot the rest of the balls off the table in pure amazement at how effortlessly I could move the cue ball around with his cue. I threw a bunch more balls out on the table and continued shooting them as I was really digging this cue. The feedback was solid, ball pocketing was as natural as riding a bicycle. To sum it up, it was the greatest feeling cue I had ever shot with, then and up to now.

It was a Cuetec w/S.S.T. fiberglass shaft.

Now I'm not nave enough to understand that the "feel" and the "hit" of a cue is purely subjective...to each his own. If you've got a $115 Cuetec and it feels great to you, then you're ahead of the curve. If it's a $5,000 Southwest that floats your boat, then by all means that is the cue you should own.

I own cues that are inexpensive (yes, even a Cuetec) and I have some semi-expensive customs. I shoot about the same with them all, but I do notice that one or two of them feel much, much better in my hands once the cue ball is struck, and these are the cues I will be using if serious pool is to be played. For some reason, I just shoot better with them. Familiarity breeds confidence, but that can occur with whatever price you pay for a particular cue.

But, even that thinking has a limit. I could NEVER justify paying $15,000 for a playing cue. I don't think ANY cue that isn't jewel and ivory encrusted should cost that much. That said, I don't begrudge anyone in how they want to spend their own money. If one can afford a $15,000 cue and it's what they want, then it is what they should have.

It is up to each individual to find their cue of choice...for whatever reason.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#62)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
02-27-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
One night after league about 10 years ago, a few of my teammates and I were standing around the pool table talking. The guy who had just finished his match had his cue laying on the table along with several balls. I asked him if I could shoot the balls off the table with his cue, to which he said yes. I picked up his cue and proceeded to shoot the balls. The first time I struck the cue ball it felt like it literally exploded off the tip of the cue. I then shot the rest of the balls off the table in pure amazement at how effortlessly I could move the cue ball around with his cue. I threw a bunch more balls out on the table and continued shooting them as I was really digging this cue. The feedback was solid, ball pocketing was as natural as riding a bicycle. To sum it up, it was the greatest feeling cue I had ever shot with, then and up to now.

It was a Cuetec w/S.S.T. fiberglass shaft.

Now I'm not nave enough to understand that the "feel" and the "hit" of a cue is purely subjective...to each his own. If you've got a $115 Cuetec and it feels great to you, then you're ahead of the curve. If it's a $5,000 Southwest that floats your boat, then by all means that is the cue you should own.

I own cues that are inexpensive (yes, even a Cuetec) and I have some semi-expensive customs. I shoot about the same with them all, but I do notice that one or two of them feel much, much better in my hands once the cue ball is struck, and these are the cues I will be using if serious pool is to be played. For some reason, I just shoot better with them. Familiarity breeds confidence, but that can occur with whatever price you pay for a particular cue.

But, even that thinking has a limit. I could NEVER justify paying $15,000 for a playing cue. I don't think ANY cue that isn't jewel and ivory encrusted should cost that much. That said, I don't begrudge anyone in how they want to spend their own money. If one can afford a $15,000 cue and it's what they want, then it is what they should have.

It is up to each individual to find their cue of choice...for whatever reason.

Maniac
People like talk down about cuetec but they actually have no idea how much effort was poured into getting the hit of them to be acceptable to pro players. A lot of money has been spent developing cuetec cues . And they have put a lot of money back into pool as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#63)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpot View Post
Nothing from the arrow, Indian screw balls. The ones that have seen pros run
10 racks on a snooker table using pool balls, playing with a broom, some even
shooting with the sweeping end of the broom. They only play with a certain cue
because the custom cue maker gives them thousands and thousands of dollars
a pony and a canned ham every holiday. Yet most of the time no one even knows
what cue they are playing with, now that's really getting some great advertising
for their money. Is there any custom cue makers that anyone can name that gives
away their cues and all that money for someone to use it. Which players are
the beneficiary of all this good fortune. Come own arrow Indian guys you know
all of this, name them. BS sure they can adjust to different cues but they prefer
a cue a certain way just like we do.
jack
I love this post.

Freddie <~~~ hope this helps

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#64)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-27-2017, 10:46 AM

Play with what you like and/ or comfortable with. I'd rather you had good mechanics before you had ebony wood, but that's just me

If you have both, bravo. If you have great mechanics and still play with plain old maple wood, bravo. If you have ebony but poor mechanics, boooooooo. LOL

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Last edited by ChicagoRJ; 02-27-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Old
  (#65)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

02-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
People like talk down about cuetec but they actually have no idea how much effort was poured into getting the hit of them to be acceptable to pro players. A lot of money has been spent developing cuetec cues . And they have put a lot of money back into pool as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using

Tapatalk
Does anybody want to buy a cool Cuetec cue, with six gold skull inlays, a Thunderbolt shaft, and an Earl Strickland model jump break?

They could be worth something now.
The fact that some kid scratched his name & number into the forearm should increase the value even more

player..Pat Diveney, Tim Scruggs, Carmeli
player..Gus & Barry Szamboti, PFD
player..Schon, Jensen, Palmer, Dave Kikel
player..Chris Byrne, ummers, Judd Fuller
player...Richard Black, South West, Steve Lomax
player...Dave Jones, Predator, Loveland Customs
breaker.Judd Fuller
jumper..Jacoby Jumper
shooter..Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter.....Dan Harrison

Old
  (#66)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Take a survey of the best players you know at your local pool halls.
Simply name the top pros and ask them what brand cue the pro uses.

I've done that and it's amazing that the best players I have spoken with
truly don't care what any pro uses other than perhaps the brand cue tip.

Many pro players will use any decent brand they can get paid the most to
use, Think what you will about today's top pro players & their brand cues
but until a contemporaneous pro can usurp the records set by so many of
the legends in pool, any brand equipment they use is inconsequential....IMO.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#67)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
Take a survey of the best players you know at your local pool halls.
Simply name the top pros and ask them what brand cue the pro uses.

I've done that and it's amazing that the best players I have spoken with
truly don't care what any pro uses other than perhaps the brand cue tip.

Many pro players will use any decent brand they can get paid the most to
use, Think what you will about today's top pro players & their brand cues
but until a contemporaneous pro can usurp the records set by so many of
the legends in pool, any brand equipment they use is inconsequential....IMO.
Take the same survey about the best players in your area. And nobody has a $5K cue that they shoot with. I only know one person who shoots with his expensive cue.

The rest of the good players play with a smorgasbord of production, low cost custom SP's and a mid-range customs. And many of them switch all the time. Most folks on the same team don't know what their team mate shoots with.

Nobody cares what a PRO plays with because not many kids follow the pool, heck many amateurs don't even follow it, and they are not on TV. People care what Jordan wears, he's worth a BILLION dollars because of it.

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#68)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2017, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpot View Post
Nothing from the arrow, Indian screw balls. The ones that have seen pros run
10 racks on a snooker table using pool balls, playing with a broom, some even
shooting with the sweeping end of the broom. They only play with a certain cue
because the custom cue maker gives them thousands and thousands of dollars
a pony and a canned ham every holiday. Yet most of the time no one even knows
what cue they are playing with, now that's really getting some great advertising
for their money. Is there any custom cue makers that anyone can name that gives
away their cues and all that money for someone to use it. Which players are
the beneficiary of all this good fortune. Come own arrow Indian guys you know
all of this, name them. BS sure they can adjust to different cues but they prefer
a cue a certain way just like we do.
jack
LOL! Yeah, I noticed that too.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#69)
wreiman
AzB Silver Member
wreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond reputewreiman has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Well said..... change the tip and ferrule and a cuetec eliminator is a great weapon

Old
  (#70)
mrknight411
Ding Dong Daddy
mrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond reputemrknight411 has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
Reading constantly about cues on here and I have to say does it really matter ? I'm sure everyone has they're preference, I myself just aquired my first real cue, which is a schmelke, it's awesome, I love it. Does it make me feel good when I shoot? Absolutely! I just think everyone here focuses on cues so much it's ridiculous. Sure if you have a rare cue or a custom cue and it's beautiful more power to you. Be happy about it, I would!! When it comes to making balls or running racks it's about you and not the stick. Maybe it's me cause I'm a newbie to pool but I just don't get why it's a big deal. Guys asking about low deflection vs standard maple,or predator vs ob shafts? Shoot your game, if you suck it's not the cue
Mastering the fundamentals of a good stroke should be the primary concern, but a well-made cue stick is also important to learning the game. The fact that you chose a Schmelke as your "first real cue" shows that the cue stick mattered. However, there's a balance of player's ability and cue stick performance.

Your Schmelke or any well-made standard maple cue should be good enough for the vast majority of players learning the fundamentals. So why would a beginner or intermediate even consider an expensive low deflection shaft, or even one low deflection shaft over another?

A low deflection shaft is more forgiving when hitting with english, intentional or not. A high-end cue with a low deflection shaft makes learning the fundamentals easier, since it has less feedback/vibration and requires little to no "swoop" when striking the cue ball. I wouldn't knock any beginner wanting to start with a low deflection shaft, just as long as he/she knows the concepts behind a good stroke, i.e. follow through, minimal body movement, etc.

Another way to think about your argument is by comparing old vs current players. The legends of old have mastered the game used nothing but shafts that had at best equal deflection compared to your Schmelke. No doubt the low deflection shaft gives today's top pros an edge over the old timers, the same way today's tennis racquets are grades above the old wooden racquets.

Just a final note about playing with low deflection shafts. A low deflection shaft using a tip size less than 12.75 mm is less forgiving, but you would never know this based on the manufacturer details.

Old
  (#71)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Sigh ... In some ways I wish I was that young again. When you're just bangin balls with your buddies? You're absolutely right. If you stick with the game. If you start playing for money. If you start doing leagues. If you start doing tournaments. IFF EXACT placement becomes important to you - I think your views will change.

Maybe you lucked out in your choice of cue ... Schmelke is considered by many to be the most "bang for your buck" cue going right now. For me there are two things that matter in cue sticks. One: How it looks - is it "pretty". But more importantly: How it "feels" and "plays". One single shot makes a difference. If you miss po when playing a good player .. you lose.

I hope you stay with the game ... it's an amazing sport. But I think if you do - your views will change.

Best always,
Ched
After playing for 35 years I finally had that coming to jesus moment.

One night I finally realized.........I'm not that good.

So I started to look for a better cue.

JC

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#72)
SARDiver
JCC Chief
SARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2017, 12:02 AM

I just want a cue that "hits a ton" and "shoots lights out".

Is that so wrong?

Old
  (#73)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
After playing for 35 years I finally had that coming to jesus moment.

One night I finally realized.........I'm not that good.

So I started to look for a better cue.

JC
Some old greek just extinguished his lamp.

Old
  (#74)
superpanget2
AzB Bronze Member
superpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpanget2 has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreiman View Post
Well said..... change the tip and ferrule and a cuetec eliminator is a great weapon
I have a Cuetec Starlight, I haven't even changed the tip yet I play lights out with it

Cue expert
Old
  (#75)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

Cue expert - 03-26-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
Reading constantly about cues on here and I have to say does it really matter ? I'm sure everyone has they're preference, I myself just aquired my first real cue, which is a schmelke, it's awesome, I love it. Does it make me feel good when I shoot? Absolutely! I just think everyone here focuses on cues so much it's ridiculous. Sure if you have a rare cue or a custom cue and it's beautiful more power to you. Be happy about it, I would!! When it comes to making balls or running racks it's about you and not the stick. Maybe it's me cause I'm a newbie to pool but I just don't get why it's a big deal. Guys asking about low deflection vs standard maple,or predator vs ob shafts? Shoot your game, if you suck it's not the cue

You have bought one decent cue and now your are expert and giving advice ??

I have allot of respect for the Schmelke cue company , but Schmelke cues are not cream of the crop cues ..

Glade you love your new cue , and its plain to see you are very excited.
But there is a big differences in the workmanship that goes into making cues as the price and quality of workmanship goes up.
In some cases the only comparisons that both cues have is that they both hit the ball around and that is it .
Other then that feed back, looks, durability , and secondary market isn't comparable .

MMike

Page 5 of 7 « First 345 67

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: