Can we be honest about cues?

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading constantly about cues on here and I have to say does it really matter ? I'm sure everyone has they're preference, I myself just aquired my first real cue, which is a schmelke, it's awesome, I love it. Does it make me feel good when I shoot? Absolutely! I just think everyone here focuses on cues so much it's ridiculous. Sure if you have a rare cue or a custom cue and it's beautiful more power to you. Be happy about it, I would!! When it comes to making balls or running racks it's about you and not the stick. Maybe it's me cause I'm a newbie to pool but I just don't get why it's a big deal. Guys asking about low deflection vs standard maple,or predator vs ob shafts? Shoot your game, if you suck it's not the cue

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
If it is close to straight and has a decent tip it will do. HOWEVER, having a cue you really like ( for whatever reason) it is nicer. Makes the game a little nicer, makes the attitude a little better....and as Billy Crystal used to say " You looook mahhvellouse"

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Reading constantly about cues on here and I have to say does it really matter ? I'm sure everyone has they're preference, I myself just aquired my first real cue, which is a schmelke, it's awesome, I love it.

It's an acquired taste or addiction, like wine. You maybe start off with $3 7-11 white zinfandel and somehow you like it. The you move up to a $10 Menage a Trois blend and you enjoy that. Next, perhaps an Au Bon Climate Pinot for $25 and you like it better. Then a Stag's Leap Cab from Napa, maybe $50, a Sea Smoke Pinot Noir for $100 and finally a Chateau Lafite Rothschild for $5,000 (just before you file bankruptcy).

Well, once you've done that, you would rather quit drinking or shoot yourself before going back to the 7-11 White Zin.

Last edited:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well........

I have the wife I want, I have the cues I want, I have most of the guns I want and I know what cigars I like. I can get by with others, except for the wife.

But, I know what I like and it is good stuff. I know I could get by with other stuff, but I don't want to and I think having cues and guns the way I want them helps me to shoot better.

We all hear a different drum.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It 100% makes a difference in how you play, if you play good enough to know the difference. I'm not saying you cannot play with any cue, I'm saying your BEST game will be played with a cue that feels good to you.

Price has nothing to do with how a cue plays.
Jason

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously everyone has their opinion and relationship with pool cues.
It always comes down to what one can afford and is willing to spend.

Some people believe a $300 shotgun from Big 5 Sporting Goods. or
equivalent store, is every bit as good as a custom Beretta Shotgun &
in a primitive sense they're right. Both may be the same caliber & shell
capacity and shoot right? So I suppose it could be reasoned they are
the same but anyone that knows a tinkers dam about guns knows that
is just totally fallacious and indeed, there is a vast genuine difference
between the two guns.......same applies to time pieces.....a watch is a
watch, right? Well, hardly and once again, it basically comes to what
you can afford.....Timex or Bulova same as Omega or Rolex......Nope!

Does the Bennelli shotgun make you a better shooter? Does the Rolex
watch help you be more punctual for an appointment, even the important
ones. Of course not and everyone knows, or should know by now, that it
has always been the Indian rather than the arrow that determines hitting
the bulls-eye. Same applies to cues & so play what you like & can afford.
But it's always the cue-maker's skills that determines a great hitting cue.
And when you have the best, you will try harder which leads to playing
your best and that's ultimately what playing pool is all about

Nonetheless, a $15.000 Searing won't turn you into a world class player
but I'd wager a dollar to a dime that if someone handed you one to use for
an evening, you'd likely play some of the best pool in your life. Same applies
to a $12,000 Barry Szamboti cue.....only by trying harder does one become
a better pool player & I've found custom cues to be a really great incentive.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
In my opinion most cues play good, it's just that some are exceptional, or exceptional to people for various reasons.
We can take a Dale Perry, tune up the shaft with the right tip & ferrule combination, and they play excellent.
Rarely is a cue just a dog, but it does happen, I won't get into it but I've had a few.
I bought an old McDermott D-19, the original tips were so old that they shredded when you tried to shape them, and I ran 3 racks with it the first day.
I guess you could call that pretty good playing McDermott.
An old Ernie Martinez sneaky I just picked up plays so good it doesn't seem to matter what shaft I use.
I've tried it with the original Ernie shaft, an old Schon shaft, a nice leftover custom shaft, an old Josswest shaft, and they all take the ball right to the pocket.
It's just uncanny how it plays.

You can buy generic production or import cues and they can be tuned up, but some of
these custom cues seem to play great no matter what.
The shaft taper, ferrules, tips, and choices like cored vs. not-cored can really make a difference from an individual standpoint.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Reading constantly about cues on here and I have to say does it really matter ? I'm sure everyone has they're preference, I myself just aquired my first real cue, which is a schmelke, it's awesome, I love it. Does it make me feel good when I shoot? Absolutely! I just think everyone here focuses on cues so much it's ridiculous. Sure if you have a rare cue or a custom cue and it's beautiful more power to you. Be happy about it, I would!! When it comes to making balls or running racks it's about you and not the stick. Maybe it's me cause I'm a newbie to pool but I just don't get why it's a big deal. Guys asking about low deflection vs standard maple,or predator vs ob shafts? Shoot your game, if you suck it's not the cue

Sigh ... In some ways I wish I was that young again. When you're just bangin balls with your buddies? You're absolutely right. If you stick with the game. If you start playing for money. If you start doing leagues. If you start doing tournaments. IFF EXACT placement becomes important to you - I think your views will change.

Maybe you lucked out in your choice of cue ... Schmelke is considered by many to be the most "bang for your buck" cue going right now. For me there are two things that matter in cue sticks. One: How it looks - is it "pretty". But more importantly: How it "feels" and "plays". One single shot makes a difference. If you miss po when playing a good player .. you lose.

I hope you stay with the game ... it's an amazing sport. But I think if you do - your views will change.

Best always,
Ched

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Can you say "placebo"? Johnnyt

I would strongly disagree. Butt size, taper, shaft size, tip all play into how a cue plays. And again, it doesn't matter what the cue costs, only how it plays.

I've owned and played with cues from off the wall, to the 10k range and they all play differently. I've been switching between a Ted Harris to a Tad recently, they both have smaller diameter shafts, the Harris has the better taper(my taper) but the Tad is smaller and it feels better, problem is the straight taper isnt as long as the T Harris. When I get back to Florida, Ted's or Searings shop I'm gonna have tbe Harris taken down a bit and I'm gonna have the Tad's taper lengthend.

If I had to bet all I owned right now it would be with one of these cues.

If you guys who say it doesnt matter can honestly say you wouldn't have a preference on what cue you used to bet all your $$$$ I honestly think you are full of it.
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Sigh ... In some ways I wish I was that young again. When you're just bangin balls with your buddies? You're absolutely right. If you stick with the game. If you start playing for money. If you start doing leagues. If you start doing tournaments. IFF EXACT placement becomes important to you - I think your views will change.

Maybe you lucked out in your choice of cue ... Schmelke is considered by many to be the most "bang for your buck" cue going right now. For me there are two things that matter in cue sticks. One: How it looks - is it "pretty". But more importantly: How it "feels" and "plays". One single shot makes a difference. If you miss po when playing a good player .. you lose.

I hope you stay with the game ... it's an amazing sport. But I think if you do - your views will change.

Best always,
Ched

:thumbup: guess we were writing at the same time, good post and so true.
Jason

metalcobra23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever met a golfer? How bout a bowler? And he'll even a pool player. All the same. Obsessed with equipment

Ps. Baseball player, grab a bat any one will do

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Ever met a golfer? How bout a bowler? And he'll even a pool player. All the same. Obsessed with equipment

Ps. Baseball player, grab a bat any one will do

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

You have no idea, and what's worse, is that you have no idea that you have no idea about having no idea about having no idea about having no idea.
Jason<------drinking and attempting to be funny.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Well who knew? Let me sell all my Scruggs & rush out and buy a Schmelke.

You can take this to anything in life, Kia is just as good as a Porsche, Double Wide is just as good as a Malibu Beach house, Spam just as good as filet mignon, whatever.

Play with whatever you like but the truth is if you really felt this way you'd just play with your cue & be happy & not feel the need to justify it being "just as good" so YOU feel better about it. Just an observation.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

You can take this to anything in life, Kia is just as good as a Porsche, Double Wide is just as good as a Malibu Beach house, Spam just as good as filet mignon, whatever.

Play with whatever you like but the truth is if you really felt this way you'd just play with your cue & be happy & not feel the need to justify it being "just as good" so YOU feel better about it. Just an observation.

Preach on brother! I had 1 scruggs, and it played great! Sadly, it met an early demise. Cue leaned against the table and fell on carpet, broke in half :( at the time my favorite cue, maybe today woulda been my favorite too

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

I'm not saying I disagree with what you're saying ... I'm just saying that I'd rather be more supportive of a new player.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I take acception when you mention spam and filet in the same sentence. I can forgive because there is not much difference in taste. I do however find you in contempt when you mention bone in ribeye :)

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Never understood why anyone cares how someone else spends their money, or judges them on what they enjoy. People play pool for a ton of different reasons. There are guys who love cases, guys who love chalk, guys who love cues, guys who love to play, guys who love to gamble, and guys who just like to drink on league night.

If you like your cue, play with it and don't be jealous of others.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Said it before, sure I'll say it again...

A cue must be three things for the user to play well w it;
1. Must be straight
2. Must have a good tip
3. The user must believe in it