Earl Strickland clapping for his opponents

Mcdermott1981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched over 100 Earl Strickland matches and have seen him numerous times clap for his opponents when they make a difficult shot. For anybody other than Earl, I would say the player was just showing good sportsmanship. I am just curious if anybody really knows if Earl is clapping to truly show good sportsmanship or if he is being a smart ass like usual :)

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched over 100 Earl Strickland matches and have seen him numerous times clap for his opponents when they make a difficult shot. For anybody other than Earl, I would say the player was just showing good sportsmanship. I am just curious if anybody really knows if Earl is clapping to truly show good sportsmanship or if he is being a smart ass like usual :)

The times I have seen him do it I would say he is genuinely applauding his opponent's shot. I'm sure there have been other times where he was being a jerk.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member

I suspect he means it to be respectful, but he's also relieving stress he feels at that moment. Never thought of it as sharking or disrespectful or sarcastic...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gave up trying to figure-out ES years ago. He's a psychoanalyst's wet-dream come true. Love watching him when he's "on" but he has gotten kinda out-there over the years. All the weights, glasses and crazy mannerisms just kill me.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is clapping so someone on the internet will start a thread about it.

Few people know this but Earl is actually left handed. He only plays right handed to shark the opponent.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is clapping so someone on the internet will start a thread about it.

Few people know this but Earl is actually left handed. He only plays right handed to shark the opponent.
And Brags must love all his "cheater" aids.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember one match when Efren beat him in a hill hill match with a miracle shot. Earl not only clapped he raised Efren's hand in victory. Earl respects good play.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I remember one match when Efren beat him in a hill hill match with a miracle shot. Earl not only clapped he raised Efren's hand in victory. Earl respects good play.

Ah, now you shut down the Earl haters, that was not very nice. We have not seen an Earl bashing thread in almost 2 weeks. They need their fix, they got it bad ;)

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl is a fan of 100% quality play, no slop, no lucky rolls, etc....which is an unrealistic expectation for the game.
Even the great Pearl himself gets a good lucky roll here and there. But he's been one of my favs for too many years to recall, and I do believe he claps to show appreciation and respect. And sometimes he claps to let the crowd know something just happened that should be considered clap-worthy. I've seen him, during a runout, shoot a straight-in stop shot where the OB was just a couple of feet from the pocket, and when the crowd started to clap he turned and said "stop it", because he thinks it's stupid to clap for every shot. I'm expecting to see him wearing a helmet soon! Lol. Gotta love the guy...one of the greatest ever!

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Watch those matches again.

You ever notice when Earl claps it's often because he's leading the match?
Show me ONE match (other than Efren's "Z-shot") where he claps for his opponent (and isn't being a smart ass) when he is losing a match...Just find ONE match.

Anyone?

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member

He's not exactly known for trying to conceal his emotions. If he wanted to express sarcasm he'd make it abundantly clear.

In regards to the oft-cited time he cheered Reyes after the Z kick, that was 22 years ago.

In regards to him being a dick or not, it seems more than a little likely he has medical (mental/personality) issues. Can't be fun being his opponent on his bad days.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Earl loves the game and appreciates the work required to get good at it.

He will let people know if they make a difficult shot that works.

He will also show people when he likes them and when he hates them.

In that documentary also keep this in mind:

https://youtu.be/1GtSYMM-u9Y?t=26m22s

Bipolar?
Well, that explains a lot!

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bipolar?
Well, that explains a lot!

BiPolar....questionable. I doubt it. Has he been diagnosed or treated? I think it's an act. Earl plays at The Spot in Feastervile, Pa. He is sharp and intelligent. Has sense of humor. I do not know him personally. In the room he's ordinary guy. Very approachable. As a competitor he is fierce, a winner, emotional, bitter, likes to act out. Likes to be the center of attention. but doesn't every pool player in their own way. I do think he is sincere about complimenting his opponents.
Not being successful(money wise)as a pro player in his lifetime reinforces something someone in the poolroom said.... The best hustle is a full time job with a paycheck.

Last edited: