Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 9-Ball Layout With 21 Different Shot Options! Which Do You Like Best?
View Poll Results: Which shot options do you like best and why?
1 in side with long-side shape on 2 2 4.76%
1 in corner with short-side shape on 2 2 4.76%
1 in corner, playing for bank on 2 0 0%
1 into 3-4, hide behind 2 8 19.05%
1 down table, hide behind 8 5 11.90%
kiss 1 off 9 into corner 0 0%
combo 1 into 9 for win 0 0%
combo 1 into 9, with possible kiss off 7 1 2.38%
hide behind 8, send 1 into 3-4 9 21.43%
hide 1 behind 3-4, with distance 1 2.38%
hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out 1 2.38%
hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out and roll forward 0 0%
1 in corner, follow to break out 3-4 7 16.67%
1 in corner, draw off cushion to long side of 2 3 7.14%
1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2 4 9.52%
1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2 for follow forward 3 7.14%
hit 1 into 3-4 cluster and hide behind 7-9 2 4.76%
hide CB from 1 using 7-9 blockers 1 2.38%
1 in corner, follow for shape on 2 2 4.76%
after 1 and 2, kiss 3 off 4 to pocket 3-5 combo 0 0%
after 1 and 2, play safety on 3 6 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
9-Ball Layout With 21 Different Shot Options! Which Do You Like Best?
Old
  (#1)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Exclamation 9-Ball Layout With 21 Different Shot Options! Which Do You Like Best? - 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM

In a previous poll, people suggested various options for shooting the ball layout shown here:

The following diagram clearly shows the ball positions and angles:

The following video demonstrates many options for approaching this table layout:

Here are the options demonstrated in the video:
(1) 1 in side with long-side shape on 2
(2) 1 in corner with short-side shape on 2
(3) 1 in corner, playing for bank on 2
(4) 1 into 3-4, hide behind 2
(5) 1 down table, hide behind 8
(6) kiss 1 off 9 into corner
(7) combo 1 into 9 for win
(8) combo 1 into 9, with possible kiss off 7
(9) hide behind 8, send 1 into 3-4
(10) hide 1 behind 3-4, with distance
(11) hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out
(12) hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out and roll forward
(13) 1 in corner, follow to break out 3-4
(14) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to long side of 2
(15) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2
(16) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2 for follow forward
(17) hit 1 into 3-4 cluster and hide behind 7-9
(18) hide CB from 1 using 7-9 blockers
(19) 1 in corner, follow for shape on 2
(20) after 1 and 2, kiss 3 off 4 to pocket 3-5 combo
(21) after 1 and 2, play safety on 3

other options suggested after filming:
(22) bank 1 into 4 to throw 3 into corner
(23) 1 in corner, follow with inside to break out 3-4 rail first for better shape on 2
(24) 1 into and/or behind 8, CB by 5
(25) 1 in corner, play safe on 2 (CB behind 9 and/or 2 behind 3-4)

Which one or two do you like best, and why?

I don't think I've ever seen a 9-ball layout before with this many options available.

Enjoy,
Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by dr_dave; 08-09-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Old
  (#2)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

08-03-2017, 03:07 PM

I like 7/8, take that free shot! If I feel like I have control of the balls, I try a mix of 5/11.

Old
  (#3)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-e View Post
I like 7/8, take that free shot! If I feel like I have control of the balls, I try a mix of 5/11.
Please vote on the poll (selecting as many as you like) so we can keep track of what everybody thinks is best.

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#4)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-03-2017, 04:33 PM

15 and 16 are my choises. I would try to make 1 and 2 balls and get close to 3. Then I would try get safe while breaking cluster.

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
Super Strong match against 10-Ball Ghost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6okbwLetu4&t=

Old
  (#5)
12squared
AzB Gold Member
12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-03-2017, 04:34 PM

My good doctor,

Excellent video my friend with many options. After viewing your diagram of how the balls are set up, it appears that the 4/3 combo may be dead (if they are frozen) by banking the 1 ball of the short cushion into the 4. If they are, I may like that option as well - maybe you can set them up and try it.

Again, great work, you are stroking the ball really well.

The other doctor Dave.

Old
  (#6)
peppersauce
AzB Silver Member
peppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2017, 08:04 PM

After seeing the new diagram, I like pocketing the 1 with follow to break up the 3/4 cluster. In the other thread I said I couldn't cheat the pocket enough to get the break out on my table, but I had the shot set up a little straighter than the new diagram shows.

The only thing that would make me second guess the run out based on the improved diagram is how tough the table is. On soft equipment, im going to shoot for the out 100% of the time from here. If, say, the pockets were 4"--I might consider ducking and breaking the cluster off the 1 or shooting a couple of balls and positioning myself where i could open the cluster and play safe off the 3, like poolmanis said. I would consider that, but if im being honest, I would probably try to run out from here no matter how tight the pockets.

This is just my personal preference, of course. I'm an aggressive, offensive minded player--sometimes too much so.

Last edited by peppersauce; 08-03-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Old
  (#7)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

08-04-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12squared View Post
My good doctor,

Excellent video my friend with many options.
Thanks. It was fun practice. In fact, replicating the video would be a good pool work-out routine since it covers such a wide range of shot types and skills.

Quote:
After viewing your diagram of how the balls are set up, it appears that the 4/3 combo may be dead (if they are frozen) by banking the 1 ball of the short cushion into the 4. If they are, I may like that option as well - maybe you can set them up and try it.
Good eye. You are correct. I just tried it and it worked like a charm.

That's 22 now.

Anybody else have any others to add?

Quote:
Again, great work, you are stroking the ball really well.
Thanks. Although, anybody can look good after video-editing out all of the misses, some of which were very bad. Some of those shots took quite a few attempts to get right.

Quote:
The other doctor Dave.
Best regards,
Dr. Dr. Dave

Old
  (#8)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

08-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersauce View Post
After seeing the new diagram, I like pocketing the 1 with follow to break up the 3/4 cluster. In the other thread I said I couldn't cheat the pocket enough to get the break out on my table, but I had the shot set up a little straighter than the new diagram shows.
That is also an attractive option for me; although, I missed the 1 the first time I attempted it ... I think because the firm above-center hit caused the CB to hop and over-cut the 1 slightly. I had to aim thicker than I thought I should to pocket the ball cleanly. Also, the long shot left on the 2 in not a picnic ... for me anyway.

After hitting all of the shots, my favorite is:

It is fairly easy to hide behind the 2 and get the break out, without needing to attempt a challenging out (although, it does bring the opponent to the table with a chance to get lucky and leave me bad).

Quote:
The only thing that would make me second guess the run out based on the improved diagram is how tough the table is. On soft equipment, im going to shoot for the out 100% of the time from here. If, say, the pockets were 4"--I might consider ducking and breaking the cluster off the 1 or shooting a couple of balls and positioning myself where i could open the cluster and play safe off the 3, like poolmanis said. I would consider that, but if im being honest, I would probably try to run out from here no matter how tight the pockets.
Well stated. I agree.

Quote:
This is just my personal preference, of course. I'm an aggressive, offensive minded player--sometimes too much so.
Understood.

Thank you for sharing your insights,
Dave

Old
  (#9)
KenRobbins
AzB Silver Member
KenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
In a previous poll, people suggested various options for shooting the ball layout shown here:

The following diagram clearly shows the ball positions and angles:

The following video demonstrates many options for approaching this table layout:

Here are the options demonstrated in the video:
(1) 1 in side with long-side shape on 2
(2) 1 in corner with short-side shape on 2
(3) 1 in corner, playing for bank on 2
(5) 1 down table, hide behind 8
(6) kiss 1 off 9 into corner
(7) combo 1 into 9 for win
(8) combo 1 into 9, with possible kiss off 7
(9) hide behind 8, send 1 into 3-4
(10) hide 1 behind 3-4, with distance
(11) hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out
(12) hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out and roll forward
(14) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to long side of 2
(15) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2
(16) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2 for follow forward
(17) hit 1 into 3-4 cluster and hide behind 7-9
(18) hide CB from 1 using 7-9 blockers
(19) 1 in corner, follow for shape on 2
(20) after 1 and 2, kiss 3 off 4 to pocket 3-5 combo
(21) after 1 and 2, play safety on 3

Which one or two do you like best, and why?

I don't think I've ever seen a 9-ball layout before with this many options available.

Enjoy,
Dave
Nice job Dave, I enjoyed watching your video.

Old
  (#10)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

08-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRobbins View Post
Nice job Dave, I enjoyed watching your video.
Thank you. I'm glad to hear it.

If you or others have not done so yet, please place your vote(s) at the top of the poll so we can see what most people think are the best shot options.

Catch you later,
Dave

Old
  (#11)
KenRobbins
AzB Silver Member
KenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I'm glad to hear it.

If you or others have not done so yet, please place your vote(s) at the top of the poll so we can see what most people think are the best shot options.

Catch you later,
Dave
Yes, I did vote.

Old
  (#12)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

08-04-2017, 11:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpd0lB-LKP4

My preferred shot given the layout. (That was first attempt also, so its easy to execute)

Old
  (#13)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

08-04-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpd0lB-LKP4

My preferred shot given the layout. (That was first attempt also, so its easy to execute)
Thanks for posting that.

I think I would categorize it as "(5) 1 down table, hide behind 8" and not a new category.

Please vote if you haven't done so yet.

Thanks again,
Dave

Old
  (#14)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that.

I think I would categorize it as "(5) 1 down table, hide behind 8" and not a new category.

Please vote if you haven't done so yet.

Thanks again,
Dave
Yes I voted #5.

Old
  (#15)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

08-04-2017, 11:25 AM

I just shot this shot 10 times or more. Its no good IMO. First, the angle on the 1 is mm precise in order to get the CB to hit the 3. 1mm too far to the left with the CB, and you will hit the rail well before the 3.

Second, if you do have the CB in the one perfect spot to reach the 3, and break out the 3/4, the shot on the 2 is very difficult. I'd say you need to be an A player or above to have a 50/50 chance of pocketing the 2.

IMO

Video attempts below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcDIPYEKoqM

Last edited by iusedtoberich; 08-04-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: