Master Chalk with small washer attached.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm biased about this chalk/washer, so take that into consideration before you reply.

As some of you may know, I have been testing a magnetic chalk holder and chalk with metal washers attached.

I feel like if you use Master Chalk on every shot, you really don't need anything else. I treat chalking as part of my pre-shot routine so I chalk on virtually every shot.

I've been attaching metal washers by using an electric glue gun. It works pretty well. Occasionally, the washer will come off before the chalk is half-used but most last until the chalk is half used.

The magnet that I use is attached via epoxy to a plastic cell phone holder CLIP made by Life Force. The clip is practically indestructible. The magnet is a rare earth magnet and holds the chalk EXTREMELY tight. I usually try to slide the chalk off of the magnet instead of pulling it at 90 degrees because the latter puts too much pull on the washer and I think that is what causes some of the washer early removal but not all.

I don't use chalk after it gets 50% worn and usually just leave the chalk at the pool room. I buy a full box of chalk at a time and glue maybe 15 washers on at a time and carry 4-6 in my cue case.

I'm not interested in a job but others may be: My question to you magnetic chalk holder people is: Would you buy chalk which has a metal washer glued to the chalk and how much would you pay?

(Of course many people wouldn't pay extra for Master Chalk because they get it for free at most pool rooms and some don't use Master chalk and some don't use magnetic chalk holders. So really, I am interested in the opinions of those who are currently using magnetic chalk holders are who would be interested in using magnetic chalk holders. FTR, I have never like the bulkiness of most chalk holding systems, so I devised my own. I like feeling the chalk in my hand and don't like feeling the holder or having unnecessary or bulky holders, but that's just me.)
Again, I am not interested in making a job of this but I wouldn't mind someone else capitalizing on my idea. I have been using the glued washer system for more than 6 months and it works to "my" satisfaction. It's not perfect, but it's inexpensive and requires only a minimum amount of learning curve to glue the washers effectively.

This requires a little elbow grease but if you pay attention to the gluing method you can effectively fasten the washer to the chalk.

Let's hear how many people would use such a product and how much would you pay?

Thanks for your candid responses.

JoeyA

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 823
Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a Cuetec magnetic holder that I bought a few years ago. In this case, the magnetic part is attached to the chalk. I liked it because it is a super powerful magnet whereas others I had seen the chalk would fall off if you knocked it. Here is a link to it (for some reason to some supplier in the Middle East because it came up first - https://www.knightshot.com/product/chalk-holder-cuetec-magnetic-2/ ) The only thing I don't like about it is that as you get down in the chalk, the sides of the holder cause a problem.

Back to your question, I think Chris Renfro's Outsville does what you are talking about - their chalk comes with the washer or whatever affixed to the chalk. https://outsville-com.3dcartstores.com/MBS--GW-Starter-Combo-Mako-Blue-Color-_p_79.html

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm biased about this chalk/washer, so take that into consideration before you reply.

As some of you may know, I have been testing a magnetic chalk holder and chalk with metal washers attached.

I feel like if you use Master Chalk on every shot, you really don't need anything else. I treat chalking as part of my pre-shot routine so I chalk on virtually every shot.

I've been attaching metal washers by using an electric glue gun. It works pretty well. Occasionally, the washer will come off before the chalk is half-used but most last until the chalk is half used.

The magnet that I use is attached via epoxy to a plastic cell phone holder CLIP made by Life Force. The clip is practically indestructible. The magnet is a rare earth magnet and holds the chalk EXTREMELY tight. I usually try to slide the chalk off of the magnet instead of pulling it at 90 degrees because the latter puts too much pull on the washer and I think that is what causes some of the washer early removal but not all.

I don't use chalk after it gets 50% worn and usually just leave the chalk at the pool room. I buy a full box of chalk at a time and glue maybe 15 washers on at a time and carry 4-6 in my cue case.

I'm not interested in a job but others may be: My question to you magnetic chalk holder people is: Would you buy chalk which has a metal washer glued to the chalk and how much would you pay?

(Of course many people wouldn't pay extra for Master Chalk because they get it for free at most pool rooms and some don't use Master chalk and some don't use magnetic chalk holders. So really, I am interested in the opinions of those who are currently using magnetic chalk holders are who would be interested in using magnetic chalk holders. FTR, I have never like the bulkiness of most chalk holding systems, so I devised my own. I like feeling the chalk in my hand and don't like feeling the holder or having unnecessary or bulky holders, but that's just me.)
Again, I am not interested in making a job of this but I wouldn't mind someone else capitalizing on my idea. I have been using the glued washer system for more than 6 months and it works to "my" satisfaction. It's not perfect, but it's inexpensive and requires only a minimum amount of learning curve to glue the washers effectively.

This requires a little elbow grease but if you pay attention to the gluing method you can effectively fasten the washer to the chalk.

Let's hear how many people would use such a product and how much would you pay?

Thanks for your candid responses.

JoeyA
Do you cut the paper off the bottom of the chalk? I do the washer thing too but I cut off the paper in the bottom of the cube. Cover the entire bottom of the cube with the glue as well. This way the washer will never come off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I talked to your sister yesterday and she wants her damn chalk holder back.

Yeah, I said it.
:duck:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I have settled on using a high quality chalk pouch I get from Craftsman Cues in Bormingham, England.
It can be positioned comfortably on your belt or waistband and re-positioning it is just so simple assuming you had to do that.
The chalk drops into the pocket easily and doesn't come ot while you play. I have a few versionsl in different colors and brands.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I settled on placing the chalk on the table as has been done for billions of hrs of play - why create a problem when there is none?
Jason

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Personally, I have settled on using a high quality chalk pouch I get from Craftsman Cues in Bormingham, England.
It can be positioned comfortably on your belt or waistband and re-positioning it is just so simple assuming you had to do that.
The chalk drops into the pocket easily and doesn't come ot while you play. I have a few versionsl in different colors and brands.
Like this?
http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/Chalk-holders---chalk-pouches.html
$2 knockoff on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faux-Leathe...961559?hash=item2ef9f33657:g:GfYAAOSwEzxYPoFD
Their Magnetic Chalk Holder is pretty sweet. About $23 USD plus shipping from the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you not allowed to put chalk on the table where you play? This is just something else I can forget when I leave.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
MEZZ came out with a metal bottom on their chalk. A little pricey, but if folks like that kind of thing, go for it. I can't bad mouth them, they make nice cues. Love my Mezz Power Break 2. Plus, I have no intention of doing anything that requires more work :)

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like this?
http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/Chalk-holders---chalk-pouches.html
$2 knockoff on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faux-Leathe...961559?hash=item2ef9f33657:g:GfYAAOSwEzxYPoFD
Their Magnetic Chalk Holder is pretty sweet. About $23 USD plus shipping from the UK.

Very nice .. do you put a belt through it and wear it like that?

I use my front left pants pocket .. pull it out and put it back in every shot.

The chalk gets on the pants but I never really cared .. why should I?

For two bucks I might give one a try...

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you not allowed to put chalk on the table where you play? This is just something else I can forget when I leave.

I do not like to leave my chalk on the table because I do not want my opponent messing it up ... I do not want him to use it.

That's just how this old fussy bastad rolls .. :D

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
In some Countries you have to provide your own chalk and it's $2 for a cube of Imported Master Chalk.
Master Chalk has "knockoffs" because it's so valuable!
You Yanks have such a limited view of the World.

I settled on placing the chalk on the table as has been done for billions of hrs of play - why create a problem when there is none?
Jason
I do not like to leave my chalk on the table because I do not want my opponent messing it up ... I do not want him to use it.
That's just how this old fussy bastad rolls .. :D

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
Do you cut the paper off the bottom of the chalk? I do the washer thing too but I cut off the paper in the bottom of the cube. Cover the entire bottom of the cube with the glue as well. This way the washer will never come off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

No, I don't cut the paper off of the bottom of the chalk and while it sounds like a great idea, I don't like the additional step. :frown:
JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
Yes, I've used the pocket chalk holders that some of the snooker players use and they work great. Every once in a while the chalk might jump out of the pouch when I jump up on a shot real high. :grin:

They're great. I bought one from of the AZB girls and it worked great for a while but eventually, the sewn thread came loose and she quit making them, so that's where I am now.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
Chalk is a personal thing for me. I don't like having to ask my opponent for the chalk when he takes it as he leaves the pool table or have to walk around the table to pick up a piece of chalk. I also like to use a relatively new piece of chalk and don't like the chalk that is worn half way through. if You carry your own chalk, no problem. :D

JoeyA

Jason