Road trip from San Antonio to Sioux city Iowa.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My daughter will be starting her MD education at Sanford University in two weeks. This is a medical school in Vermillion South Dakota. I am driving her up there and on the way back I would like to visit some great pool rooms. The major cities I will be traveling through will include Sioux City, Iowa, Omaha, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Ft. Worth and Austin.

I know about skinny bob's but any suggestions on the other cities would be appreciated.

The last time I visited Vermillion I made the mistake of going to Sioux Falls, SD to the pool room that they say Shane is a part owner or regular there. Bar tables in the first floor, three real tables in the basement. One was broken, the other was ok to play on but the third was Shane's table. I asked the guy working there who Shane was, knowing exactly who Shane is and he told me some pool player. I was surprised the guy did not know exactly who he was, one of the best players in the world. I hit balls around for a couple of hours but it was not a real pool room, like Bananas, Skinny bob's, Hard Times, Chris's, etc.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple of spots.............................

Wichita: Club Billiards. A real, old-school 'hall. They just added on with some extra big tables. Cool place. OkCity(actually MidwestCity, a suburb): Jamaica Joes. Nice place. All Diamonds, pro shop, food and a new Star 6x12 snooker.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't list any 'halls, why not skip Mn? Are there any good pool spots in Mn other than Jimmy's?

Crs in coon rapids
Shooters in burnsville
Two stooges in fridley
Kato cue club in mankato
Moorhead in moorhead

These are the nicest rooms.

As far as action I would try jimmys, shooters and crs.

Sw doesnt have much. If you had time there are tournaments 5 days a week in the twin cities and as far as pool hall tourism the places I listed are nice.

Last edited:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you make it to Sioux Falls again let me know.

Lucky's isn't that bad, but you're right, most of the bartenders don't know Shane or care much about pool at all.

That being said, there are 3 7ft diamonds, 1 9 ft Gabriel and a Joy table in the basement. If you make it here I'd shoot around a little. If you're looking to gamble I could probably find you a game, but if you just want to shoot around I'm normally down there.

We don't have much in Sioux Falls- Bigs has probably 8 Valley's and a 9 foot Brunswick with some of the tightest pockets you'll fine. Nickel Spot has 8-15 Valley's depending on if there is going to be a tournament running.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't help you with pool halls but having been born in Northwest Iowa I would advise your daughter to buy a snow shovel and keep it in the trunk of her car from November to April.

I returned to Sac City Iowa a few years ago first week of November for a funeral and they had 9 inches of snow. Signs on the street said no parking on street November 1 to April 1 - that's for the snow plow.

My daughter will be starting her MD education at Sanford University in two weeks. This is a medical school in Vermillion South Dakota. I am driving her up there and on the way back I would like to visit some great pool rooms. The major cities I will be traveling through will include Sioux City, Iowa, Omaha, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Ft. Worth and Austin.

I know about skinny bob's but any suggestions on the other cities would be appreciated.

The last time I visited Vermillion I made the mistake of going to Sioux Falls, SD to the pool room that they say Shane is a part owner or regular there. Bar tables in the first floor, three real tables in the basement. One was broken, the other was ok to play on but the third was Shane's table. I asked the guy working there who Shane was, knowing exactly who Shane is and he told me some pool player. I was surprised the guy did not know exactly who he was, one of the best players in the world. I hit balls around for a couple of hours but it was not a real pool room, like Bananas, Skinny bob's, Hard Times, Chris's, etc.

That is sad. Why would SVB be part owner in what sounds like such a dive pool room?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Pool room.

Stop in sharkys billiards in Davenport Iowa and 2nd ave corner pocket billiards in Cedar Rapids Iowa.

Rob.M

Stop in sharkys billiards in Davenport Iowa and 2nd ave corner pocket billiards in Cedar Rapids Iowa.

Rob.M

I wonder is Jesse Bowman plays there. I heard that Jesse Bowman is from the Quad Cities area. I heard there is a lot of good players, and action to be found in that area. Pat Diveney is very near by too, in West Liberty, IA (if anyone wanted to check out some really great and beautiful cues).

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rob.M

Davenport and Cedar Rapids are on the Eastern side of Iowa - long way from South Dakota.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to make Rustys in Fort Worth on a Tuesday night.
Great break contest!
Get there early.

Also the Rustys in Arlington is 24 hours and has in the past had big money action.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drove over 2,100 miles in a little over three days. I appreciate the suggestions about MN and Iowa but going more than a few miles out of the way was not an option. I did get to stop at Jamaica Joe's near Oklahoma City and it was a great place. Great tables, friendly people working and playing there. A very very nice pool hall that I will put on my list of the best pool halls I have visited.

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drove over 2,100 miles in a little over three days. I appreciate the suggestions about MN and Iowa but going more than a few miles out of the way was not an option. I did get to stop at Jamaica Joe's near Oklahoma City and it was a great place. Great tables, friendly people working and playing there. A very very nice pool hall that I will put on my list of the best pool halls I have visited.

Thanks. It was nice to meet you.