New McDermott iPRO Shaft
Old
  (#1)
NastyNate13
AzB Silver Member
NastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

New McDermott iPRO Shaft - 08-07-2017, 01:04 PM

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/ipro-hig..._campaign=iPro

Just saw that McDermott is soon releasing a new shaft and break cue (Sledgehammer)

Has anyone else seen this? Looks like a nifty, new shaft.

As someone who first started owning a McDermott cue, it seems like they're trying to move up in the market with quite an expensive shaft (MSRP: $359).

Will be curious to see those who buy this and try it out... but I can't see myself paying that much for a McDermott shaft (even though I just spent that amount on a Mezz EX Pro shaft, which is the absolute nuts if you enjoy LD shafts)

Main Player: Robert Harris (Mezz EX Pro)
Break: Mezz Power Break I (Tulipwood)

Old
  (#2)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

08-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate13 View Post

Just saw that McDermott is soon releasing a new shaft and break cue (Sledgehammer)

As someone who first started owning a McDermott cue, it seems like they're trying to move up in the market with quite an expensive shaft (MSRP: $359).

Will be curious to see those who buy this and try it out... but I can't see myself paying that much for a McDermott shaft (even though I just spent that amount on a Mezz EX Pro shaft, which is the absolute nuts if you enjoy LD shafts)
I have 3 McDermotts, D-1, D-2, and a D-3 from the mid-80's, might be interesting to mix the best of the old with the er, er, well,,, lets just say the new! lol

Old
  (#3)
Jdm34
jared marion
Jdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond reputeJdm34 has a reputation beyond repute

08-07-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate13 View Post

looks like a chineese 8 ball shaft Ive been waiting to see more carbon fiber ferules.

jared marion

Old
  (#4)
NastyNate13
AzB Silver Member
NastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond repute

08-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm34 View Post
looks like a chineese 8 ball shaft Ive been waiting to see more carbon fiber ferules.
Any improvements on a carbon ferrule than standard? Less end mass?

Ipro
Old
  (#5)
RoadHustler
AzB Silver Member
RoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Ipro - 08-07-2017, 11:45 PM

I played with the Ipro at the BCA expo it was ok. Nice little low deflection shaft. It felt stiff not that different from most low deflection shafts. It is multiple pieces radially spliced unlike the other I series which I believe are a regular maple shaft cored with a carbon fiber tube and balsa.

The tennon is on the ferrule not shaft which isn't my favorite thing from a repair point of view. I believe it's a balsa core in the carbon fiber.

They said it can be turned down to as small as 11.75 from 12.5 and that won't void the warranty as long as they do it. I did ask if the threads are phenolic but forgot what the McDermott guy said.

The taper felt almost identical to my ob2+

Bottom line if you are used to a LD shaft you will not notice anything all that different here.

Garrett Williams
blog.roadhustler.com
twitter.com/Rdhustler

You have a right to play, not a right to win.

Last edited by RoadHustler; 08-07-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Old
  (#6)
NastyNate13
AzB Silver Member

08-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHustler View Post
I played with the Ipro at the BCA expo it was ok. Nice little low deflection shaft. It felt stiff not that different from most low deflection shafts. It is multiple pieces radially spliced unlike the other I series which I believe are a regular maple shaft cored with a carbon fiber tube and balsa.

The tennon is on the ferrule not shaft which isn't my favorite thing from a repair point of view. I believe it's a balsa core in the carbon fiber.

They said it can be turned down to as small as 11.75 from 12.5 and that won't void the warranty as long as they do it. I did ask if the threads are phenolic but forgot what the McDermott guy said.

The taper felt almost identical to my ob2+

Bottom line if you are used to a LD shaft you will not notice anything all that different here.

Did they say anything about price or when it will be released?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Yea
Old
  (#7)
RoadHustler
AzB Silver Member
RoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond repute

Yea - 08-08-2017, 09:47 AM

It was around $360 msrp as for date I got the impression it's shipping really soon. I am not a McDermott dealer so I was just playing around in the booth but seemed like I could get one there.

Garrett Williams
blog.roadhustler.com
twitter.com/Rdhustler

Old
  (#8)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

08-08-2017, 09:50 AM

I can't believe the patent for that tenon was approved.

Old
  (#9)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

08-08-2017, 10:20 AM

My son played with one of these shafts at BCA show while we were there for Jr Nationals, he did not like it enough to replace his OB shaft but he said it had a good hit and deflection was about the same as the OB shaft. He played with it for several minutes so it was not that bad of he would have stopped. I guess if you are looking for an LD shaft, it would be as good as an of the others to try out.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Totally
Old
  (#10)
RoadHustler
AzB Silver Member

Totally - 08-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Yea I agree it felt a lot like my ob.

Garrett Williams
blog.roadhustler.com
twitter.com/Rdhustler

Old
  (#11)
Skippy27
AzB Silver Member
Skippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond repute

08-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermott
Octadic Laminated Shaft Construction

The Octadic Laminated Shaft Construction features eight spliced pieces of premium maple that are bonded together to form our most radial consistent shaft yet. This construction method drastically reduces the performance inconsistencies caused by natural wood grain. This technology maximizes energy transfer from the shaft into the cue ball at impact, allowing you to generate a higher spin rate while hitting closer to center cue ball.
Not sure about anyone else, but I would prefer to be able to hit it slightly off center and not have the stinking cue ball spin at all.

Old
  (#12)
Pii
AzB Silver Member
Pii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

09-04-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
The Patent office sux's

I could probably patent "a method to glue leather to wood" and it would be approved, then I'd sue every pool player that puts on a tip. I'll make millions!

Old
  (#13)
Pii
AzB Silver Member
Pii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond reputePii has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

09-04-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy27 View Post
Not sure about anyone else, but I would prefer to be able to hit it slightly off center and not have the stinking cue ball spin at all.
yep I think they have it backwards

Old
  (#14)
Cocoa
AzB Silver Member

Cocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond reputeCocoa has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Joey, The patent has long been expired! Check the patent date at google patents. 10/31/1995

Cocoa

Old
  (#15)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

09-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Joey, you have to get better at reading patents if you are going to call foul on every Predator patent and Mcdermott patent

Carefully reading through claim #1, the crux of the claim seems to be about a removable insert under the tip, to get different playing characteristics.

Not claimed, is simply the tenon being part of the ferrule and going inside a hole in the shaft.

Also as mentioned earlier, this patent expired in 2007 due to lack of paying the maintenance fees.

It is clearly a marketing tactic to put the long expired patent number on the joint collar of this shaft released in 2017.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: