best dedicated jump cue

cluelesscuer

I am wondering what do people think is the best-dedicated jump cue. It can be production or custom. I don't care how it looks, just the ease in which it jumps. Give your opinion based on personal experience or consensus views you have heard.

I hear names such as Brick, Lomax, Lane, Gulyassy and others. What is the consensus? (Remember I am looking for a dedicated jump cue, not a jump/break cue).

Thanks.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I am wondering what do people think is the best-dedicated jump cue. It can be production or custom. I don't care how it looks, just the ease in which it jumps. Give your opinion based on personal experience or consensus views you have heard.

I hear names such as Brick, Lomax, Lane, Gulyassy and others. What is the consensus? (Remember I am looking for a dedicated jump cue, not a jump/break cue).

Thanks.

The tops commented on always seem to be gulyassy, hanshew, lomax in no particular order on the custom side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Woody Woodworth jump cue, works well for me.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brick

I've tried a few never liked any but my friend here in Louisville bought a Alex Brick break cue and he also couldn't jump for shit with a few others he had.
He came in to Bank Shot one night and told me I had to try this I did and it jump balls with ease and accurately. I couldn't believe it.
Maybe it was the tip I don't no I'm old school personally I would prefer to kick, but just cause I'm a hell alot better at it.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
jacoby pechauer predator and lomax jump easy and accurate the Alex brick and tony layne dymond wood jump well too but imo not as accurate but those also had a white diamond tip and the jump great but hard to conttrol imo.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB Lift Pro

I much prefer to kick than jump and over the years tried several different jump cues trying to add more depth to my game.

I came across the OB Lift Pro (the 3 piece model) and really like it. I would still rather kick but a jump cue does have its time and place.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.
Mezz hop like a jackrabbit!!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have tried brick/hanshew/and lomax
for me the brick is the easiest to jump with leaps and bounds easier than the others
although they do jump well

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Maybe pt109 can help with the actual cue, but Cliff Thorburn was selling a jump cue a decade back that was outstanding ... had a steel ferrule.

Dave <-- not much help

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks.

I like to think I've tried a good range of dedicated jump cues, and I own a few more than any sane person should in their lifetime.

My personal choice for best jump cue has been from Curtis Robertson. He doesn't advertise them, and he doesn't need to.

You all can tell Curtis I sent you, but that might just double your price :)

Freddie

cluelesscuer

I've tried a couple of production jump cues and currently have the 3 piece Jacoby jump cue. I read good things about it, but I still really stink at getting the cue ball to jump.

So I guess I am trying to see if maybe a different jump cue would work better for me. (Though it's probably the Indian and not the arrow).

With Seyberts return policy its easy for me to test different production jump cues. But this is a different matter in terms of custom jump cues.

By the way, did Alex Brick pass?

tommyhill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jump cue

I had a jumpin jax diamond wood cue that i liked but a friend had a lomax that i tried and i had to get one. best jump cue i have ever had.....but then again, who am I

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I've seen some really strange contraptions used as jump cues, but that being said my
jumper is a Predator Air. It seems to do the job. Though people sometimes won't admit
it I've heard the Robin Dodson "Frog" is easy to use.
I'm sure ther are good and bad about jumpers, but they all sorta seem the same to me,
and I don't mean cut a cue in half and call it a jump cue, but I've never really seen much
difference in actual jump cues.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, I find that a heavy and stiff shaft helps me jump balls better, so anything Dymondwood or purpleheart is great.

I know that many people find it easier to jump with a lighter cue (like the Lomax), but I have a hard time controlling that type of cue. When I get jacked up to jump a ball, I find that the heavier shaft (more forward balance point) helps the cue stay on my bridge hand better and helps me keep a smoother stroke.

I've had a jump cue by Whitey Spach, with a purpleheart shaft and a Dymondwood J/B by Alex Brick that were both great. I'm currently using a J/B by Al Romero, that is all purpleheart, that works really well.

Cheers,

Mike

cluelesscuer

I think I come down to getting either an Alex Brick or a Tony Layne.

Anyone have experience with both, please share your thoughts.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Honestly, the lightest jump cue with a phenolic tip, regardless of brand. As long as it's straight and light and has a very hard tip, it'll work like magic, even if you only pay $25 for it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Deleted..... duplicate post.

Last edited:

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, the lightest jump cue with a phenolic tip, regardless of brand. As long as it's straight and light and has a very hard tip, it'll work like magic, even if you only pay $25 for it.

Exactly... when I started playing pool more serious about 15 years ago, I bought a basic jump cue off ebay (For "The Cue Guy" or something like that) for $30...

I've tried many friends fancy jump cues and nothing works as good (for me) as this basic $30 cue. Accurate and jumps high. I'd say I jump better than 99% of the people who own jump cue.... all it the tip I'm guessing?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly... when I started playing pool more serious about 15 years ago, I bought a basic jump cue off ebay (For "The Cue Guy" or something like that) for $30...

I've tried many friends fancy jump cues and nothing works as good (for me) as this basic $30 cue. Accurate and jumps high. I'd say I jump better than 99% of the people who own jump cue.... all it the tip I'm guessing?

Hardness of tip is very important, but not as important as being light weight. The CB weighs 6oz. Hitting down on it around 45° with a 6oz cue would be ideal. Every bit of energy from the cue would transfer to the cb, causing it to bounce cleanly from the table surface. The speed of the cue would determine how far or high the CB bounces. Lighter than 6oz is even better, but requires more speed on the jump stroke. A softer tip would absorb the impact and slow the cue stick down as it tries to bounce away from the CB, so a harder tip is best.

The lightest jump cue I've seen is about 8oz. Mine is 9. Being a little heavier than the CB, the stick doesn't rebound off the ball as quickly, which is why steeper jump shots are more difficult, where maybe there's only a couple of inches or less between the CB and the ball you're jumping over. You have to hit it harder at a steeper angle, and the extra weight difference between the cue and the CB keeps the cue tip in the way of the CB trying to bounce up. The heavier the cue the more difficult it is to jump a ball up close. At about a foot away, it takes much less effort to jump a full ball with a 9oz jump cue than it does with a 12oz jump cue. Try jumping with just the shaft of your break cue or jump cue and watch how easily it allows the CB to hop up, It's because the shaft is lighter than the CB and it immediately bounces out of the way of the CB. Throw it like a dart and catch it on the rebound You can jump a ball from a chalk distance away with the shaft by itself, but it's illegal....can't use a cue less than so many inches in length, maybe 38 or 40.....can't remember.

Last edited: